What is behind your username?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: What is behind your username?

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:29 pm

lavengro wrote:My forum name came to me via an episode of an old radio series staring Basil Rathbone, The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The episode is entitled The Guileless Gypsy [yeah, I know, but I do not think the term was as perjorative back then as it is now]. Sherlock was assisting a community of Roma wrongly suspected of skullduggery and such, and one of the Roma called him a "true lavengro, a master of words" upon hearing his use of the Romini language.
!

A little while back I found out there was a classic novel called Lavengro, so I assumed I'd discovered the origin of your screen name there.

It's unforgiveable for you to assert a different origin!
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:01 pm

lavengro wrote:There are some good names on this forum, but in my opinion, the best user name is from the old HTLAL forum: "songlines." I had the privilege of meeting up with songlines for lunch in Vancouver years ago when she popped back from Toronto where she worked at the Toronto Metropolitan Library to visit with some of her family in Vancouver, a few months prior to her very sudden and unexpected passing at far too young an age. She was a very kind person with a huge curiosity about the world, a strong interest in the French language and a gracious soul. I do not recall exactly the words she used when I asked about her user name, but there were along the lines of some of the attached: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songline.
I remember Songlines from HTLAL. In fact, she was the last person to comment on my first log:
songlines wrote:Hang in there, Raconteur - don't get discouraged!

- Songlines, visiting from Deuxième.
She was a very kind, and encouraging person. And, indeed, what a username!
3 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:22 pm

It all started way back in HTLAL. Because I was learning Dutch, I wanted a simple Dutch username like Jan, Hans, Willem, etc. But they all seemed to be taken. I tried Tom and Thomas. Finally settled on tommus which nobody had. For the LLorg Wiki, I use janmetdepet (literally Jan with the cap) which in Dutch means a very average person like Joe Average or John Q. Public.
8 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:04 pm

Well I *am* a lawyer and a mom…
11 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:29 am

Raconteur wrote:I recall seeing your username since Unilang days. It certainly is memorable.
Yeah, I've had the name for years. When I moved over here to LLORG, I figured why not keep it.

Were you learning Polish at the time, or was there another reason to go for a Polish word?
Good question. I know I wanted to express one of my ancestries (ancestral lines? idk, you get the idea lol), and since at least part of the family is obsessed with the German side of things (I wish I was exaggerating here...), I wanted to go the other way (naturally :P ). Granted, I could have gone the Irish route, but I think because of my grandmother being a Polish speaker things just gravitated that way. I can't remember if I was actually learning the language at the time though. That's been an on and off process for years, unfortunately.
Last edited by księżycowy on Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:34 am

My username was the name of my first character in my favourite RPG game.
10 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:57 am

lavengro wrote:There are some good names on this forum, but in my opinion, the best user name is from the old HTLAL forum: "songlines." I had the privilege of meeting up with songlines for lunch in Vancouver years ago when she popped back from Toronto where she worked at the Toronto Metropolitan Library to visit with some of her family in Vancouver, a few months prior to her very sudden and unexpected passing at far too young an age. She was a very kind person with a huge curiosity about the world, a strong interest in the French language and a gracious soul. I do not recall exactly the words she used when I asked about her user name, but there were along the lines of some of the attached: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songline.

Thank you for reminding us about songlines. I remember her from time to time, but I couldn't ever remember her username. She was a very kind person and gave me lots of good study ideas. It was her who first encouraged me to start reading Le petit Nicolas, which is my most read French series so she is probably the top on the list of "people who gave me ideas which changed my life".

As for my username, my real name is Jeff. When my niece was about 2 years old she said to my wife, "I like Jeffers. Jeffers is a good boy." My brother thought this was hilarious and called me Jeffers ever since, and I use it as a name for a lot of sites.
11 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:58 am

ilmari is inspired by Ilmarinen, the Eternal Hammerer, blacksmith and inventor in the Finnish Kalevala:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmarinen
8 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:03 pm

My name of Carmody is the name of the town in which the book Anne of Green Gables is set.
9 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:36 pm

Carmody wrote:My name of Carmody is the name of the town in which the book Anne of Green Gables is set.

I was born in Prince Edward Island and learned to play golf at the Green Gables Golf Course, right beside the famous house.
5 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Return to “Travel and Culture”