What is behind your username?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: What is behind your username?

Postby Adrianslont » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:12 am

I stole it from a friend.

He used it only once probably.

It tickled me and he wasn’t using it.
2 x

grayson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Dutch (fluent)
Spanish (false beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18491

Postby grayson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am

Deinonysus wrote: the Greek god of drunk raptors

What a fabulous phrase. Perhaps the all-time perfect phrase. (What does this say about me? ;) )

My username is, very boringly, my first name. It's unusual enough that I've gotten to use it in many places, but sometimes one of the other Graysons on the internet beats me to it. When that happens, I resort to gbraym, which is my first initial - middle name - last initial. I've also used gbmj for lots of things, but generally not as a forum username. (That's my three initials plus my husband's last name initial.)

Once on a lark I went for zombarinella. I was playing PvZ 2 for hours every day, and didn't want to use my actual name when I signed up at Reddit. That was the only place I used zombarinella until last year when I started looking into bug bounty hunting as a possible source of income. I suppose it felt edgier than my usual alternatives, though I really should have gone with z0mbar1n3lla to complete the "naive hacker wannabe" effect ;).
8 x
gbmj.net | my 2024 log | my 2024 life areas | my 2024 commitments
~~~
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. —Emily Dickinson

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:28 am

No surprise: I love Omar Khayyam and The Rubaiyat. These lines from an English translation were the main impetus for my starting Persian:

What care I, love, for what the sufis say?
The sufis are but drunk another way.
4 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Slowpoke
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Korean (A2), German (beginner)

Postby Slowpoke » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:30 am

It's my favourite Pokemon, I think he's so cute lol
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Khayyam wrote:No surprise: I love Omar Khayyam and The Rubaiyat. These lines from an English translation were the main impetus for my starting Persian:

When I first moved here I used to hang around with an Iranian fellow and he recited lines from Omar Khayyam. Sometimes after a few bottles of beer. Amazing how it stayed with him because he left Iran at age 17 (after the revolution) and spent most o f his time in America. Hardly speaking the language to anyone.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:26 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Khayyam wrote:No surprise: I love Omar Khayyam and The Rubaiyat. These lines from an English translation were the main impetus for my starting Persian:

When I first moved here I used to hang around with an Iranian fellow and he recited lines from Omar Khayyam. Sometimes after a few bottles of beer. Amazing how it stayed with him because he left Iran at age 17 (after the revolution) and spent most o f his time in America. Hardly speaking the language to anyone.

I wish I had a friend who recited Khayyam when he got drunk!

OTOH, sooner or later, I'll probably be that friend.
0 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:17 pm

Khayyam wrote:I wish I had a friend who recited Khayyam when he got drunk!

OTOH, sooner or later, I'll probably be that friend.

To be fair he was reciting it, but it's not like I knew if it was accurate or not, since I have no knowledge of Persian. He just said it was Omar Khayyam and I had to take his word on it. :lol:
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:25 am

Le Baron wrote:To be fair he was reciting it, but it's not like I knew if it was accurate or not, since I have no knowledge of Persian. He just said it was Omar Khayyam and I had to take his word on it. :lol:

To be fairer, considering the academic consensus on the authenticity/verifiability of the vast majority of attributions of poetry to Khayyam (as opposed to his works on mathematics and astronomy), "taking someone's word for it" is pretty much the norm when it comes to quoting Khayyam's Rubaiat ;)

Anyway, my username in most online communities is something I'm stuck with since my brief "Germanophile" phase in my teens. The most embarrassing part is that I don't have any real connections to Peterhof/Petergof; it's just reasonably close to my actual hometown, whose name isn't German and thus wouldn't sound quite as fitting after "von" :oops:
3 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:41 pm

Le Baron wrote:There are always so weird and wonderful usernames on forums. Sometimes it's a double bluff and the name looks like an ordinary name which could be that user's name, but isn't.

Mine refers to "Baron Méduse" the eponymous central figure in Erik Satie's absurdist musical play: Le piège de Méduse.

Care to share what is behind yours?

I raise a glass to the heady days at the turn of this century and Peter Chung.

Indeed, CHUNG is KING! ;)
1 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 pm

Mine's my (nick)name. That's about it.

It's a nickname that runs in my family for the name Christopher. Oddly enough, also, I've seen it spelt as 'Chito' or 'Cito', with the fauxnetic pronunciation being KEE-toh.
1 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
Greek ASSIMIL: 35 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Return to “Travel and Culture”