What is behind your username?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Suzie
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C-ish), French (B-ish), Dutch (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 040#p70040

Re: What is behind your username?

Postby Suzie » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:56 pm

I also fondly remember Songlines. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and interactions.

The lovely puppy that I use as my Avatar was called "Susi" before she became part of our family. We changed her name; in hindsight, however, "Susi" may indeed have been a better fit for her. She was my partner in crime for many years; she is long gone now, but will always have a special place in my heart.
6 x
Super Challenge French:
100 books: 100 / 100 complete
100 films: 100 / 100 complete

stell
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (perpetual toddler), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17696

Postby stell » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:30 pm

My origin story is very boring. My original username both here and on htlal was stelle: the first two letters of three of my real names. I dropped the final -e after getting locked out due to entering the wrong password too many times after a long absence.
6 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:11 pm

A portmanteau of deinonychus /daɪˈnɒnɪkəs/ (δεινόνυχος), a dinosaur related to velociraptor, and Dionysus /daɪ.əˈnaɪsəs/ (Διόνυσος), the Greek God of wine, yielding Deinonysus /daɪ.nəˈnaɪsəs/(Δεινόνυσος /deːnónyːsos/), the Greek god of drunk raptors. Hence the wine glass with the raptor on it.
13 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:26 pm

allf100 wrote:allf100 = a language learner's forum 100 8-)

I always think of this TV series when I see the name Alf. ;)

My username is an old Norwegian / Norse word that means language. I wanted to have a name with a non-English character ("å") on this forum and a word that reflected something about language. The word probably has the same connotations as English "tongue" when used to mean "language".

Etymology:
tunge - tongue
mål - speech
13 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:47 pm

Mord Sighvatsson (c. 900–968; Old Norse: Morðr Sighvatsson; Modern Icelandic: Morður Sighvatsson, better known as Mord "Fiddle" (O.N.: Morðr Gígja; M.I.: Morður Gígja).

The melodious first sentence of the extraordinary Old Norse novel Burnt Njal's Saga goes, " Mörður hét maður er kallaður var gígja." (Mordr was a man who was called Fiddle.) Or, Mord the Fiddle. My avatar comes from my days studying Old Norse, though I have yet to read the novel in the original. Mordr morphed into Mork under the influence of Robin Williams and his over-the-top portrayal of Mork in the TV series of some years back. It was in fact not until well after I started to use the name that I realized that I had misspelled it. :roll:
14 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon May 01, 2023 12:29 am

MorkTheFiddle

Wow, that is quite a bit of context for the name!

Now how about the picture? ;)
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon May 01, 2023 9:44 am

My username is not particularly fanciful, I took the first letter of my first name Ø and modified it slightly to O, and then the three first letters of my surname.

I later found out that Ogrims are also creatures in the video game The Elder Scrolls. They are described as "large dim-witted Daedra with very little intellect, which are describable as "fat-faced ogres". They are chiefly sent into the mortal world to menace living things for the amusement of Daedra Princes." :o :shock: :?
8 x
Ich grolle nicht

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon May 01, 2023 10:20 am

In that case I can guess your name. At least the surname, while your first name could be one of two-three alternatives. :) Living abroad, how annoying has it been to have a name that begins with a non-standard letter?

Ogrim wrote:My username is not particularly fanciful, I took the first letter of my first name Ø and modified it slightly to O, and then the three first letters of my surname.

I later found out that Ogrims are also creatures in the video game The Elder Scrolls. They are described as "large dim-witted Daedra with very little intellect, which are describable as "fat-faced ogres". They are chiefly sent into the mortal world to menace living things for the amusement of Daedra Princes." :o :shock: :?
3 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon May 01, 2023 10:35 am

tungemål wrote:In that case I can guess your name. At least the surname, while your first name could be one of two-three alternatives. :) Living abroad, how annoying has it been to have a name that begins with a non-standard letter?

It is not only the non-standard letter, it is also the sound of it, which is non-existant in many languages. You can't imagine in how many weird ways I've heard my name pronounced.

My favourite though was in Mexico many years ago. We were going on an excursion with a guide, my name was handwritten on a list and he interpreted it as "Divino", so for the rest of the trip he just called me "Señor Divino". :D
2 x
Ich grolle nicht

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 pm

I thought it was the surname Øgrim.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”