What is behind your username?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: What is behind your username?

Postby brilliantyears » Mon May 01, 2023 6:10 pm

Mine is the title of a song by my favourite band. I picked it because it sounds optimistic, even though the actual lyrics are quite melancholic :)
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Mon May 01, 2023 6:21 pm

My real name. But it's not as obvious as it might seem. I created this username for a Russian-speaking forum, originally it was written in Cyrillic and looked like this: "А.Алекс". The first "A" is the first letter of my name and "Алекс" a combination of other letters of my full name.
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon May 01, 2023 10:14 pm

Carmody wrote:MorkTheFiddle

Wow, that is quite a bit of context for the name!

Now how about the picture? ;)

In 1054 Chinese astronomers recorded seeing a new star, actually now considered to have been a supernovs, in what we designate the constellation of Taurus.
That supernova developed into the Crab Nebula.
It is believed that Ancient Puebloan natives in northwestern New Mexico observed the same supernova
and recorded it on the overhang of a cliff in the area. There is an interpretation of the phenomenon and
pictograph in this article.
I took a picture of the assemblage--it is easily accessible--but an online photo showed it in better detail.
My avatar picture shows the hand, star and moon right center.
6 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue May 02, 2023 12:36 am

MorkTheFiddle

Wow, that is quite a bit of context for the picture as well! :)
2 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=17653

Postby MapleLeaf » Wed May 03, 2023 12:19 pm

I selected my username when, out of ideas for a user name, I looked out the window and regarded the cheerful orange and yellow colors of the leaves just outside my window. I pondered putting a space between the two words, but most sites do not allow spaces in user names, then I considered placing the two words together without a space just like in Roman times, and settled for camelCase: no spaces between words and capitalization of each word. I have not seen maple leaves for months, and this morning, in heavy rain, the first ones of the spring are opening up. Soon I shall look out onto green instead of onto greyish white tones.
6 x

Ichiro
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Japanese (B1), Spanish (A2), Malay (A2), Tamil (A1)

Postby Ichiro » Thu May 04, 2023 2:02 am

I was a member of the Hippo Family Club in Japan. The Hippo Family Club is an association where people attempt to learn multiple languages simultaneously without the use of native teachers, although with the help of CD's of dialogues recorded by native language speakers. The club members shadow them and recite the contents to each other in group sessions.

People joining the club generally take nicknames, my nickname in the club was Ichiro. It was selected for me as the lead character in one of the dialogues is a young Japanese man who undertakes a voyage to Mexico, much as I, an Englishman, had undertaken a voyage to Japan.
9 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Sat May 06, 2023 11:51 am

Ichiro wrote:The Hippo Family Club
Okay, but what is the story behind that name?
0 x

Ichiro
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Japanese (B1), Spanish (A2), Malay (A2), Tamil (A1)

Postby Ichiro » Sat May 06, 2023 12:47 pm

Raconteur wrote:
Ichiro wrote:The Hippo Family Club
Okay, but what is the story behind that name?

I think it's just a motif the founder of the organisation decided to adopt -

https://www.lexhippo.gr.jp/english/

The first Hippo Family Club recordings used a hippo character called 'Kabajin'. They're almost unlistenable. Club members would usually focus on the Ichiro series of recordings, which my name came from.
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon May 08, 2023 11:03 pm

If you look up the word Xenops, you will find that it is a group of birds that make oven-shaped nests. As related to me, it was the word I used during a family game of Probe, and the only time my word was left undiscovered at the end. Granted, it was misspelled--but my source misspelled it too. It was a children's book that had an animal dedicated to each letter of the English alphabet. Looking back, I wonder why nobody looked further into the spelling--my dad once spelled "koala" as "kuala", and he lost points because of it. ;) So now Xenops seems like a decent moniker for online usage.
8 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

youarethephotograph
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby youarethephotograph » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:45 am

Mine was a lyrics from a song that was currently keep on repeating while registering. The proper lyrics should be "You were a phonograph," but instead I wrote photograph. The title of the song was: "Big Black Car" by Gregory Alan Isakov such a good music!
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”