Do you have a 'holiday' plan this year?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Do you have a 'holiday' plan this year?

Postby Cavesa » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:42 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Cavesa wrote:we are also in the usual emmigrant/expat situation, of most longer holidays being used up by travelling back to see family and friends.

This is absolutely true! I've done it so many times. To the point where people back home said: 'why aren't you visiting this year?' But I needed to save days for other places. I've convinced my brother to visit her in August which means he gets a holiday and I save days. I think it is mutually beneficial. Though some like my sister can't afford the time or cost.

Yes, I totally understand that. And also inviting people to us helps too.

We have no doubts we'll be having many more visits from now on. Because one of our first purchases will be an extra bed. We'll have a real appartment, not this 20-25m2 joke. No extra costs for the visitors in terms of accomodation :-D In the Switzerland, the accomodation is the worst expense (I was shocked to find hotels in the same "cheap" chains had twice the prices as in France or anywhere else in Europe).

My dad is trying to convince me to a beautiful vacation at our "summer home" in the czech mountains during my rare holidays. Don't imagine luxury, the object really needs a huuuge reconstruction. But I love it, I have many childhood memories there. But no, I don't want to go anytime soon, not while my holidays are so restricted. I already live isolated in the mountains :-D I want to visit the people I care about and also enjoy being in a real city.

It's hard to choose sometimes.

Cavesa wrote:Move to a new place every year or every other year, problem solved :-D But many others created :-D :-D :-D

That sounds exciting and horrible in equal measure. No doubt that is Jeff's worst nightmare! :lol:

Yeah, there are some nightmarish aspects. Fortunately, my husband is wonderful at tetris, you wouldn't believe how much he can fit in a small car. I am also lucky that I am earning enough here to afford the related expenses, even though it leaves us without much of a reserve for now. The bureaucracy is a nightmare though. Today, we went to the commune in our new town/village, which is unfortunately in a new canton, so a bit like a new state again. I really needed icecream after that. My husband wished for a strong drink, but he had to drive instead :-D The lady was nice, but the Inferno of paperwork and problems was a bit overwhelming.

But yes, living near the holiday destinations and getting to know Europe in this manner, that is wonderful.

We were just wondering a bit about the people living here for their whole lives, especially in a few towns we pass through often. If you already live in a place with some of the most beautiful views on the planet right outside your window or balcony, or just a few steps away from home, where the hell can you go on a holiday and not be disappointed? :-D
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 pm

Le Baron wrote:I agree the stress avoidance and price tag are attractive. However it's good to see other things and what I like best about having travelled is when you get back and there is an unreal feeling of getting back home and everything feels new, but familiar.

I hear you. I just have to find that teleporter...
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:28 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I agree the stress avoidance and price tag are attractive. However it's good to see other things and what I like best about having travelled is when you get back and there is an unreal feeling of getting back home and everything feels new, but familiar.

I hear you. I just have to find that teleporter...

The year is 2023, where are they?! :evil:
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:47 pm

brilliantyears wrote:The year is 2023, where are they?! :evil:

Let's ask ChatGPT. 8-)
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:05 pm

This summer I'll be traveling to exotic North Carolina to visit my in-laws. Woohoo!

Anyway, being a dad to toddlers I don't see myself doing much international travel in the coming years, excepting the small chance I get called to Quebec on business for a few days.
4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:25 am

I just recently actualized my holiday plan by travelling to southern Florida (Fort Lauderdale and Orlando) for twelve days partly for family reasons and also as it turns out to come down with (in this order as far as I could determine) severe allergic reactions to something down there (I think plant-related), one unpleasant evening suffering lingering effects of severe motion sickness (curse you Guardians of the Galaxy ride) and then COVID which I smuggled back into Canada. At least the snorkeling off Key Largo was great.

I am taking a short two day vacation in July in Edmonton, partly to use up expiring airline travel credits and partly for a brutal beating (it is a long story).
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 am

Le Baron wrote:I keep saying to myself that I will have one of those 'holiday of a lifetime' type holidays. I read some old diaries to see if any of my past holidays actually fit this description and I've just forgotten about it. It seems some might well do that, but since they are no longer fresh enough in my memory I think I might need to do it again.

In a casual conversation with my dearest istriku, I gingerly mentioned the idea of going to somewhere like Madagascar; adding that Malagasy is in fact an Austronesian language. She said: 'Oh? Are we going to learn it or something before we go? I thought you'd just started on Swahili?' So I just left that.

She said: 'I don't want to go to one of those places with loads of steep hills you always try to go to, because it's okay coming down them, but not going up.' On a bike presumably, though perhaps also on foot. It started me thinking: which are worst: upward slopes or downward slopes? I think she was thinking back to the time we were in Wales and went to the supermarket on bicycles. I was used to it because I lived there for a while, I warned her it would be difficult. I admit that putting a supermarket in a valley was not a particularly shrewd idea, considering you have to come back up a hill with a load. But you know I've done the opposite as well and ended up crashing off and the load makes it worse. I told her this and she said: 'Yes, that's why it's best not to have too many hills.'
Bit off-topic, but this whole passage feels like something out of a Polish literary journal (if it was published in English translation, of course). The editorial staff often had writers as well as other artists and creation-adjacent types write little journal entries on, for example: their daily life, their random musings, or their travels. These pieces would often mix the interesting with the mundane in a witty, and self-aware way.

*I meant this as a compliment, if that wasn't clear. Was it?
2 x

evandro
White Belt
Languages: Português (N), Français (C1), English (C1), Español (C1). Deutsch (practicing), Nederlands (beginner, studying)

Postby evandro » Tue May 16, 2023 4:46 pm

Now that my PhD is finally done and I can go back to my life, I have two plans for this summer that I've been postponing for a long time:

1) Spend some time with my family back in my home country
2) Spend a month in Berlin and take some German classes
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue May 16, 2023 5:32 pm

I'll soon fly down til Crete, and then time will tell whether my lengthy Hellenic elucubrations have had any effect on my practical skills..

EDIT: My Greek functioned beyond expectation - I used it for all simple conversations and only used English for the harder ones, like when I asked at my hotel why there only were Italian and Russian TV programs on my telly (plus Sky News, which didn't tempt me).
5 x

Gaoling97
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Chinese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18675

Postby Gaoling97 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:47 am

Leaving China for the first time in four years in July to visit my family in the US with my girlfriend. We will actually first land in Cairo, Egypt and mess around there for about twelve hours before getting on another flight to the US. Then, we will only be there for a couple days before going to Montreal for five days. Neither of us have ever been to Canada before, let alone Quebec, but it seems like a great city. Hopefully I planned a good trip lol.

After that, we'll hang out with my family and maybe go to the beach.

She will unfortunately have to go back to China about two weeks before I do. After that, I'll continue hanging around, reading, listening to some podcasts, and doing whatever.
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”