Do you have a 'holiday' plan this year?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Do you have a 'holiday' plan this year?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu May 18, 2023 10:08 am

Frustratingly, we haven't been a position to be able to get off this isolated monolingual suburnt 7th biggest country in the world for 6 years now. I think this will change in a few years, but I must make some substantial (somewhat reluctant) rather large strides for that to become a reality. In the meantime, I live vicariously through my language use and learning, dreaming of the days, with frustrated patience. ;)
4 x

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:04 pm

I'm not going anywhere but I have a holiday plan 8-) . I'm just really, really looking forward to having the time to myself. I can't remember the last time that I had such a span of time to construct and plan exactly how I want. My mother is taking the kids on a trip and I'm going to work on Russian! Sooo looking forward to it! I'm considering documenting it as if I were going on holiday. Maybe I should take photos.
Last edited by diaconia on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:14 pm

Like the OP I had contemplated buying a trip to Madagascar this fall, but when I finally had taken my decision the roundtrip I had aimed for had been sold out - and the itineraries of the alternatives aren't as tempting. Instead I have spent one week on Crete and four days in München, Germany - which I arranged the day before I left. I have also thought about a visit to Greenland, but it's rather expensive, so my summer will presumably be spent on short trips to Southern or Eastern Europe and one or two voyages further away later this year. But I haven't bought any of those trips yet.

As Voltaire wrote in Candide: Il faut cultiver son jardin - and I also have to keep an eye on mine during these water deficient days. Long voyages of 3-4 weeks have never been my cup of tea, and especially during the berry season in late July or early August even a week may be too much.
1 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Je me trouve en France à ce moment et j'espère de l'être aussi en Septembre.

I'm not getting much French speaking done quand même.
1 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:40 pm

I'm going to South Korea for a week in mid July (first time), then Japan for 3 weeks (2nd visit). Looking forwards to exploring these countries, and hopefully speaking a little of the local language. Not looking forward to the heat.
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Exotic_sunset54
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), Tagalog (Beginner)

Postby Exotic_sunset54 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:11 am

I'm actually chilling in Chile right now for my holiday with my family. The place is stunning and all, but there were a few downsides, like the weather and other tourist spots are overcrowded, But despite these little hiccups, I can say that Chile is still totally worth a visit. If you're planning to visit Chile in the future, this article can give you an insight. https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-chile-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5558 It's got all the juicy info you need to plan your epic adventure. Happy holiday amigos 8-)
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”