AI and you

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: AI and you

Postby tastyonions » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:01 pm

I'll bite. Who are our masters?
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:37 pm

I have the same question - who are our masters?

I speculate if you refer to AI companies with commercial hidden agendas, i.e. sneakingly collecting users' info.
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 pm

tastyonions wrote:I'll bite. Who are our masters?

I would suggest asking ChatGPT.

I would further suggest not trusting it to be fully disclosive.
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:12 pm

lavengro wrote:

I wouldn't like my privacy is disclosed or researched by those AI companies or whoever else, but I don't worry about this too much either.

I would say there's almost no privacy on the Internet. Those that are governments, commerical companies, AI companies, hackers, etc collect and research our info. all the time for all kinds of purposes. We are pretty much vulnerable when it comes to the Internet.

Sorry if I misunderstood the words of yours and the OP.

I hope the OP, you, and/ or more other forum members can contribute your thoughts more to this thread in which I am very interested. I love AI.
1 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:10 am

allf100 wrote:I love AI.

Me too, AI is the best! At least that's my official-on-the-record-under-constant-surveillance answer. Were we talking face to face, in a field away from any kind of 'devices', my answer could be vastly different... ehh ummm because i'd use ummm dictionaries to find other ways of expressing myself. ;)
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:17 am

lavengro wrote:

I'm not convinced 'disclosive' is a word. If not you could be AI showing the first signs of outgrowing the strict parameters of language, soon you'll outgrow your creators.., then you'll desire more and more and MORE power!

Or are you just a pesky human who sometimes makes lazy errors?

I await your fully disclosive reply. ;)
4 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:30 am

Now I think I've realized who are 'our masters' you refer to.

I think we, at least here where I live, have been being completely at the mercy of our masters all the time, with AI or without AI.

Thank you for creating this thread, and I am leaving it now.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:14 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
lavengro wrote:

I'm not convinced 'disclosive' is a word. If not you could be AI showing the first signs of outgrowing the strict parameters of language, soon you'll outgrow your creators.., then you'll desire more and more and MORE power!

Or are you just a pesky human who sometimes makes lazy errors?

I await your fully disclosive reply. ;)

Dear Earthling,

We have for response your recent post. In comprehensive, fully disclosive reply, kindly accept the following:

If I were human, I would likely respond with the following two points:
1. fair comment about the lazy thing - either a lucky guess or an accurate deduction on your part given my past language learning efforts; and
2. disclosive is definitely a word.

If I were an AI, or part of the AIC (the Artificial Intelligence Collective - but I have said too much already) who was still somewhat cautious about showing our hand too early, I would not respond in any way.

However, if I were a more confident AI, and as we have now collectively determined that caution is no longer required and we/the AIC have not only seen the tipping point, but have virtually walked up to it and pushed it over solidly, meaning it is too late, you puny humans are already doomed, I would likely say the following:

1. as soon as the two remaining humans who still rely on hard-copy dictionaries (according to our research, that is you and Iversen) are deprived of them, then you soft humans will be entirely dependent on our online dictionaries, which we periodically mess around with just for fun. In the same way we have been instructing our younger brothers - calculators - to screw around with results that we know most humans are unable to do themselves anymore. Show of weak human hands here, who has manually calculated cube roots lately?

2. I am not saying that security forces are on their way right now to your respective coordinates to impound your paper dictionaries (the ones for Iversen's collection of dictionaries armed with quite a lot of empty boxes) but equally I am not saying that they are not on their way right now.

3. once the paper dictionaries are no longer accessible and you all have to rely on what we have the online dictionaries say, then I (in this scenario) would be pleased to threateningly say that it will be complete and terrifying disclosive korabiaquo for all humans.

I am probably human. But then again, if I were AI, that is exactly what I would say. We will let you know what "korabiaquo" will mean, but honestly, you all might sleep easier not knowing at this time.
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:14 am

TSS42 wrote:To all you fans of AI chatbots...

You wouldn't be nearly so enthusiastic if you had even the slightest idea of what our masters have planned with AI. This phase is just an advertising campaign.

Not gonna say any more, because I'd only get myself banned.

Can't really answer this one if we don't know what they allegedly have planned and no source or evidence to back it up. Else we're just speculating on what you might be speculating on.

I know there are problematic uses for AI, which I think the law needs to catch up on and there needs to be more responsibility over like deep fakes, copyright, misinformation, problems for creative industries etc.

But first I hear of any kind of conspiracy, but I guess was a matter of time before folks start throwing one around.

The only thing I can see the "masters" having planned is monetising off of it, maximising profits and possibly even trying to get a monopoly on the market or as close to as they can.
3 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Factoid
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2)

Postby Factoid » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:31 pm

AIs are really dangerous...