Airbnb

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Airbnb

Postby jimmy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:43 pm

Hi,

I am planning to go somewhere abroad and consider airbnb. can someone give more details?
The prices seems like suitable , especially if it is compared to hotels.
can you explain whether it would be possible to find suitable apartment flat or just a room with a kitchen (budget: 100-250 $ would be very nice for me /monthly) (Assume please I would like to remain alone) (Note: cleanliness is important , I especially do not want to see insects)

I also wonder whether it would be safe to remain with someone (I mean here the owner of that flat who remains there or just remains there (who rented there))

further considering, I wonder whether I would be able to reserve or set after arrival to that location? (I ask this because I do not want be stressed)

one more point: assume please I gave harms to the location (remaining home) ,what would happen , just 200$ deposit would solve?
(This is just an assumption , as you may know there may be problematic profiles ,I mean the owner or renter may claim a compensation even though there is really harm at area I plan to remain ,and what will happen in such a case?

locations that I am interested in : Arab countries, China, Indonesia, Japan, Russia.

Thanks
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Re: Airbnb

Postby Kullman » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 pm

I really don't know about those countries you say, but I guess it depends on the person who rent the house/flat/apartment...

We had an apartment listed in a airbnb like service for a while and, when a guest came to the house, there was someone there to give the keys, explain where was everything stored, and how to operate the appliances.

When the guest left, we called a person who cleaned the house, replaced the bed linens with clean ones, and restocked the kitchen with some milk, biscuits, marmalade, ... to provide the breakfast implied by the "bed and breakfast" term...

The service we used had insurance for any possible damage made to the apartment...

Read the commentary/opinions in the app, and you will be fine...
0 x

ryankopf
Languages: English, Spanish, Japanese

Postby ryankopf » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Don't book an AirBNB that doesn't have any ratings.

Booking an Airbnb with good ratings is essential. Before booking, it's important to read reviews from previous guests to get a sense of what the property is like and to identify any potential issues.

If it doesn't have any ratings it could really be a scam or a pretty awful experience. Having at least 1 or 2 reviews is important.

Also, research the neighborhood too! Some areas are way more dangerous than others.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 pm

I used Airbnb for Japan, but mostly hostels--not entire flats with kitchens. I felt very safe sharing a common sleeping area with other strangers. You don't really need a kitchen in Japan unless you have allergies. The food in 7 Eleven or the equivalent are actually quite good and reasonably priced. Sit-down restaurants can be expensive, but if you pace yourself you're fine.

I only stayed at these places prior to COVID, so I don't know what their service is now. I would stay at all of these places again. If you go to the one in Osaka, you can see a character I drew on the wall going upstairs. :)

Osaka:
https://www.airbnb.com/hotels/7054881?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=d619d4d4-a457-409b-87ba-af14d295dd7f

Tokyo:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27895162?source_impression_id=p3_1679265252_YQNZvkmyGjkd2MW0

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27917164?source_impression_id=p3_1679265354_XUDZjBjOkPtKcN%2BM
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 am

In the mainland of China

Airbnb is not widely known in the mainland of China. I didn't hear about it before I read your post. I'm not sure if it is available. The following is not relevant to Airbnb.

Re: rental
It depends on which city you are going to. In small cities it is available. In metropolises such as Beijing, Shanghai with prime locations, and convenience of traffic, i.e. subway, I would say it is way less possible if not completely impossible. In Beijing, the monthly rental for a bathroom with only three square meters is as high as $150.

Though I never ever go to Turkey, I can understand there's a very big difference in rentals between Istabul and some other cities. Same in China.

Re: Hygiene
Insect killers/sprays which are around $5 are available in every supermarket in China. You can solve all the problem you concern. I'm afraid few landlords will guarentee that. If you don't clean your room in time, it is easy to invite insects.

Re: Safety
I would say generally China is the one of the most safe countries in the world, and the security in Beijing and Shanghai are the best.

However, perverts, criminals, burglars, and rapists are also everywhere in almost every country. China is no an exception. That is why we have jails too.

Some people who are unlucky will run into such problems. Generally I would have less concern about this issue. If it happens, I will interpret that must be the will of Allah, or God, or whoever the believers believe.

Don't put much cash in your room.

If you have to share an apartment with your roommates for financial concerns, I would suggest you ask their educational and/or job backgrounds, Few well educated people with a good job will risk to commit crimes unless they don't worry about their bright future. Of course there are devil-may-care perverts too.

Re: Reservation

It depends on how you negotiate with your landlord. Yes, generally landlords will give you some legroom.

Re: Damage Compensation
I am afraid that the tenants have to compensate all the damages if deposit doesn't cover all of them.
Say a brand new TV set cost $600. If I rent your apartment and smash it completely with unrepairable condition, would you let me go with $200?
We don't have insurance to cover this lost at all, at least I never heard about it in the mainland of China.

Besides that issues above you concern, I would like to say we have Halal certifiied restaurants in major cities like Beijing, Shanghai, but I am not sure how many of them there are. In small cities that will possibly be a problem for Islamic, especially very devoted, followers who require such food. Unless you would like to go to Xinjiang, or a few other places where there are many Chinese Muslins, that will be fine.
3 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:04 pm

Xenops wrote:I used Airbnb for Japan, but mostly hostels--not entire flats with kitchens. I felt very safe sharing a common sleeping area with other strangers. You don't really need a kitchen in Japan unless you have allergies. The food in 7 Eleven or the equivalent are actually quite good and reasonably priced. Sit-down restaurants can be expensive, but if you pace yourself you're fine.

I only stayed at these places prior to COVID, so I don't know what their service is now. I would stay at all of these places again. If you go to the one in Osaka, you can see a character I drew on the wall going upstairs. :)

Osaka:
https://www.airbnb.com/hotels/7054881?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=d619d4d4-a457-409b-87ba-af14d295dd7f

Tokyo:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27895162?source_impression_id=p3_1679265252_YQNZvkmyGjkd2MW0

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27917164?source_impression_id=p3_1679265354_XUDZjBjOkPtKcN%2BM

I think hostels & airbnb may be categorized in the same class in this regard.
For instance what did you pay attention in order not live any unexpected circumstance (in hostels, I think robbery might be a case and what did you do to protect yourself for this potential circumstance)

I am planning to have (1 or 2 months but less than 3 months ) a trip to Cairo (Egypt) and do not have a clear opinion on how to differentiate the bad & good people on airbnb.) I have been contacting a man , it seems like to me he is a good man but do not clearly know.

everyone simply says to me that I should be carefull but none explains how to. :)
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:10 pm

meanwhile, @xenops, yes I heard that Japanese people were very good in cleanliness.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”