The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:44 pm

A few more details from Judith regarding applying for aid to come to the Gathering:

Please convey to the forum that if they want to apply for the fund, they should write an email to me in which they give some basic details (age, location, likelihood of participating in the Gathering), talk about their personal history as a polyglot (languages learned, community involvement etc) and also why they want to participate in the Gathering. We will have a committee review all applications and make a decision.

Regarding the age limit, it is only for young people, but they might stretch it for people who are no longer students, but don't have a regular income yet.

You can also write to her if you're interested in making some kind of donation.

In addition, if anyone has a small language related startup and would like a stand, you should contact her.

Please also note that there is a chance for language startups to present themselves at the Gathering, especially 1-10 person businesses are very welcome to come and tell polyglots about their website / product etc., they should also write me in order to get space at the event.
1 x

unpredictabloke
White Belt
Languages: Native: English
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1817

Postby unpredictabloke » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm

I couldn't find any date on here, but when's the deadline for reserving rooms at the venue?
I don't know if I'll be able to go 100% until end of February, early March.
0 x
If I make spelling mistakes, Or if I construct a sentence that doesn't sound natural, please quote me and suggest a more "natural" sounding phrase. I might post audio vocaroos, so I appreciate commentary on my accent. I welcome any criticism.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:13 pm

unpredictabloke wrote:I couldn't find any date on here, but when's the deadline for reserving rooms at the venue?
I don't know if I'll be able to go 100% until end of February, early March.

I don't think there is so much a deadline as a limit on how many people. I think there are 350 places, and if it fills up, you can be set on a waiting list.
0 x

Fasulye
White Belt
Languages: Deutsch (native), Nederlands (C2), English (C1), francais (B2), italiano (B2), Esperanto (B2), espanol (B1-B2), dansk (B1), norsk bokmål (A2).

Postby Fasulye » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Yes, if you register for the Gathering, if it's already booked full, they put you on a waiting list.

I myself an now working on my trip to Northern France, my penfriends live in Dunkerque. I'll need some days to check all details out about my train travel. If it all works out and my hosts accept my proposal, then this will mean that I will not go to the Polyglot Gathering this year.

Fasulye
0 x

eginhard
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French
Studies: Lithuanian, Croatian, Irish, Turkish, Russian, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2046

Postby eginhard » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:30 am

Besides Café Tasso I'd also highly recommend Pequod Books (https://www.facebook.com/pequodbooks/), a second-hand bookstore in Neukölln. Prices are at a slightly higher though still very affordable 3-5€, but compared to Café Tasso the selection of books is much better curated. There is one room with German books and one with foreign language books.
4 x
: 2 / 52 Read 52 books in 2017 (Goodreads)

vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Postby vm_nm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:03 am

Brun Ugle wrote: I doubt I'll be able to buy enough books to make the luggage a problem, unless I win the lottery in the meantime. :D

Wait until you discover the table where people leave language books they no longer need. ;)
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:09 am

vm_nm wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote: I doubt I'll be able to buy enough books to make the luggage a problem, unless I win the lottery in the meantime. :D

Wait until you discover the table where people leave language books they no longer need. ;)

Oh I'm glad you mentioned that, I'll bring a bunch of books I've already read to add to the pile.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:43 am

I just ordered my plane tickets. I'll be there from 3-10 May, so I'm getting there a little early and leaving a little late.

I'm so excited and nervous! I feel like I'm going to be the most un-polyglot person there. :?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:22 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I just ordered my plane tickets. I'll be there from 3-10 May, so I'm getting there a little early and leaving a little late.

I'm so excited and nervous! I feel like I'm going to be the most un-polyglot person there. :?

Err... I think you'll find that badge is mine! :lol:
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Julie

Postby Julie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Hey, here is Julie from HTLAL :). I was happy to discover that the Polyglot Gathering has grown into an annual event (I wanted to attend it in 2014 but couldn't make it back then)... and extremely unhappy to see that the event has already been fully booked. I'm on the waiting list but it doesn't look optimistic.

If you've registered for the event and can't make it - let me know! Now or later on, even at the last minute :) ("Transferring your registration to another person is free." - from the website.)
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”