The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Any ideas? When are people arriving? Wednesday afternoon/evening? Thursday morning?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Any ideas? When are people arriving? Wednesday afternoon/evening? Thursday morning?

I'm arriving Wednesday morning (it was the only flight), but I don't have an address and I've never been to Berlin. Is this the actual address?

A&O Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Lehrter Straße, Berlin, Germany

Also anyone know what a taxi will cost me from the airport?

EDIT: Seems like a silly question, but the contact page on the website has a different address.
Gartenstr. 3a
10115 Berlin
Germany
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:51 am

I can't believe the Gathering is already nearly upon us... :)

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Any ideas? When are people arriving? Wednesday afternoon/evening? Thursday morning?

I'll be arriving around noon on Wednesday. If everyone's already there on Wednesday, Wednesday evening would probably be a good time to meet? Just gonna throw that out there. If it doesn't work for anyone I'm of course open for alternatives.

rdearman wrote:Is this the actual address?

A&O Berlin Hauptbahnhof, Lehrter Straße, Berlin, Germany

Yep, that's the actual address. A&O is the name of the hostel where the event is held.

rdearman wrote:EDIT: Seems like a silly question, but the contact page on the website has a different address.
Gartenstr. 3a
10115 Berlin
Germany

The address under 'Contact' is different because the organizers do't live in the hostel year-round, so if you want to contact them, that's the address where you can do so outside of Gathering times. ;)

rdearman wrote:Also anyone know what a taxi will cost me from the airport?

That depends on the airport, of course. XD For Tegel it should be around 15-20€, I'd guess.
There seems to be an express bus going every 5-10 minutes though, which costs 2.70€ and takes about 20 minutes - you might want to check that out instead:
https://www.berlin.de/en/airports-and-s ... xl.en.html
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 am

If you're flying into Tegel, you can take the TXL bus for the mere €2.70 (or thereabouts). You'll reach Hauptbahnhof/Washingtonplatz in 20 minutes. Hop off, go through the station building, turn left on Invalidenstraße, keep walking for a minute or two (I think you'll pass at least one crossing), turn right for Lehrter Straße (or just go through the park diagonally). In total, a seven-minute walk (in my shoes).

Taxi? Maybe €15.

Oops. Now I saw Yuurei's answer and the team's nearly identical information in the latest email.

Last year, I figured I'd have some dead time, so I bought a Tageskarte for maybe €6, left my things at A&O and then spent some time exploring Berlin (including the second-hand bookstore Café Tasso, which I've mentioned before).

If anyone seems me in the registration hall (on the fifth floor) at any time on Wednesday, just give me a shout (in a language I understand). :)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:34 pm

I have no internet this weekend, which is very bad timing. I'm at the library now, but it closes soon. Hopefully, I'll manage to get online before leaving to see if there are any updates though. I'm so glad I printed out the directions and my ticket information already.

I will be arriving sometime in the middle of the afternoon on Tuesday. And I will leave in the morning on the Tuesday after.

It looks like there will be quite a bit of free time so it shouldn't be too hard to find a time to meet up for a little while. If I remember correctly, lectures don't start until 10 most days, lunch is several hours and there is always the possibility of meeting in the tearoom in the evening. If there's room, I'll try to put my user name on my name card as well as my real name, but if not, my real name is Janice Michaelson, so you can find me.

@rdearman, did you get the latest e-mail about the Gathering? There were pretty detailed directions about how to get there from either airport, and even GPS coordinates.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I have no internet this weekend, which is very bad timing. I'm at the library now, but it closes soon. Hopefully, I'll manage to get online before leaving to see if there are any updates though. I'm so glad I printed out the directions and my ticket information already.

I will be arriving sometime in the middle of the afternoon on Tuesday. And I will leave in the morning on the Tuesday after.

It looks like there will be quite a bit of free time so it shouldn't be too hard to find a time to meet up for a little while. If I remember correctly, lectures don't start until 10 most days, lunch is several hours and there is always the possibility of meeting in the tearoom in the evening. If there's room, I'll try to put my user name on my name card as well as my real name, but if not, my real name is Janice Michaelson, so you can find me.

@rdearman, did you get the latest e-mail about the Gathering? There were pretty detailed directions about how to get there from either airport, and even GPS coordinates.

No I didn't get that. :( Have to look through my spam folder I guess.

EDIT:
Actually I did get it, I was just being thick and not looking in the right place.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Yeah, there are several possibilities to meet up, e.g. the gufujo (where Esperanto is encouraged), the rooftop bar, open and empty lecture rooms, the lobby, the registration hall... Anyway, those reading this will have an idea of who will show up - right now I know of BrunUgle, Rdearman, Yuurei, Iversen and myself - and you probably recognize Iversen and me from our avatars. And I'll probably be wearing black.
0 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:28 pm

The bus is cheap and easy, though it is a walk from the Hauptbahnhof to the hotel. I had planned to take a taxi myself last year, but went by bus instead and had no problems other than heavy bags. Have a wonderful time, all! I wish I could be there this year !
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun May 01, 2016 11:25 am

It looks like Cristina is going too, although I don't think that she reads this forum much, so she might not know we plan to meet up.
0 x

eginhard
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French
Studies: Lithuanian, Croatian, Irish, Turkish, Russian, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2046

Postby eginhard » Sun May 01, 2016 1:45 pm

I'll be there as well!
0 x
: 2 / 52 Read 52 books in 2017 (Goodreads)

Return to “Travel and Culture”