Is there a book series (or wiki page) for social etiquette in different countries?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
BrennoGold
White Belt
Languages: Native: Brazilian Portuguese
Can speak: American English and Italian
Learning German

Is there a book series (or wiki page) for social etiquette in different countries?

Postby BrennoGold » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:34 pm

Along the years, I've learned some do's and don'ts from a few countries. Like how on Japanese escalators you should stay on the left side, or how in Germany you should always be punctual. Etc.
But that's only because of my curiosity and the fact that I like to see content about other countries on the internet and TV, so I end up finding out these things by osmosis.
But... you can't always trust your foreigner knowledge. And I myself find it very frustrating to read stories about ignorant people that travel to x or y country and do something that's very "general knowledge" not to do, and you always end up thinking "how could this guy not know this? How could he just fly to that country and not know a single thing about it?"
So that's why one day when I visit one of these countries I intend on visiting, I would like to have a guide for things that should be avoided, things to look out for, and all of that. But the problem is, I don't know if they exist.
When I search on Amazon for a travel guide, what I gather by the synopsis and previews of those books is that they're mostly "things to see and to eat" than actual social tips. So I guess that's not the proper place to look for these info's.
Do any of you know where I can find this type of information? All I can think of is just YouTube videos.
1 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Re: Is there a book series (or wiki page) for social etiquette in different countries?

Postby Kullman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:56 pm

I don't know how accurate it is, but there is a book called "Etiquette and Taboos around the World: A Geographic Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Customs" you can buy from Amazon.

It isn't cheap, though...

https://journals.ala.org/index.php/rusq ... /6946/9372
3 x

BrennoGold
White Belt
Languages: Native: Brazilian Portuguese
Can speak: American English and Italian
Learning German

Re: Is there a book series (or wiki page) for social etiquette in different countries?

Postby BrennoGold » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Kullman wrote:I don't know how accurate it is, but there is a book called "Etiquette and Taboos around the World: A Geographic Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Customs" you can buy from Amazon.

It isn't cheap, though...

https://journals.ala.org/index.php/rusq ... /6946/9372

Thanks for recommending me this! I liked the book review you linked, it's what I'm looking for.
And about the price, I managed to find it for free on the internet. I'll check it out now. :D
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”