What's your stance on hot weather?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

What's your stance on hot weather?

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 pm

Well, it's 27.5°C (81.5°F) inside the house now. A bit warm, since we don't do airco here. It means I have no trousers on, which is unusual. I'm also wearing one of those things the youth refer to as a: "T, shirt."

Was it a mistake to put cayenne pepper in my food?

It's no Ibiza here and I would like a better balance, but I despise excessive heat. like that 36°C the other day. It's unnatural. It makes you lose salt and water and I often feel depressed and a bit deranged above 20-odd degrees. Having to slap on sun cream all the time; sweating in an ungainly fashion and having to take endless showers; dressing like a surfer in the middle of a city, and generally feeling lethargic.

I think a lot of the people here like the heat, cavorting about in it having barbecues, but also complain about it like they complain about the cold. I don't like excessive cold, who does, but I like sunny days that have reasonable temperatures, like those in mid-spring.

Anyway, a storm is brewing. Excessive rain predicted tomorrow. There's no middle ground now.
5 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: What's your stance on hot weather?

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Heat? Don't talk to me about heat. I live in the Caribbean without a/c. Never have had it. It's 86F/30C outside right now (and inside too), going down to a chilly 79F/26C for a low tonight. It usually gets up to a high of 90F/32C from now until mid-November We have all four seasons here- Summer, mid-Summer, late Summer, and next Summer, as the joke goes!
Last edited by iguanamon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:40 pm

Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it. :ugeek:
13 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 pm

It has to reach around 35°C before I feel oppressed by heat (assuming low humidity and mild activity). And even on those days the evenings are really pleasant.
3 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:46 pm

97F/36C here. I think it's healthy to take a walk and break a sweat, even when it's the heat that's inducing the sweat.

I like cold showers - all cold and no warm water.

In the summer, cold showers are not nearly as cold as in the winter, when a cold shower is cold.

Drinking water is good. Add a bit of apple cider vinegar and two bits of lemon juice to make it a refreshing beverage.
4 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:48 pm

I don't mind heat. I visited Portugal in 2018, and apart from the Universal Esperanto Congress in Lisboa I also visited Tomar and a few other places. The main sight in Tomar is the Convent/fortress erected by the Ordem de Cristo (the local Templars under a new name) on top of a hill - and since I didn't know whether there was any public transport to the place I walked up and down again. Nullo problemo...

I have a rule: above 30°C I tend not to wear a sweater under my jacket, but I keep my long trousers on no matter what the weather people say. I don't even own a pair of shorts... like in 1994, when I visited Ross River in The Eastern MacDonnels. We had three nights there, and the first full day I participated in a trip to an old mine of sorts, but after that I had one empty day. So I grabbed a gallon of water in the morning and walked to N'Dhala Gorge some 8 kms away and back, and when I had returned to the homestead it started to rain. A couple of days before I had photographed the thermometer below in the shadow behind our tourbus - it says 65°C so that may also have been the temperature in the sun at the gorge. But I didn't care as much about the temperature as I did about the buggersome flies.

F5832b08_Temperaturas_2018.jpg

F0834a0x_Oz_Red centre in January.jpg

And at the other end of the scale: I first visited Windy city Chicago in the USA in January 1997, and it was about 20°C below zero (something like 13°F below zero). Some schools apparently had closed, the lake was frozen stiff and TV told people to keep their dogs indoors or dress them up with fluffy footwear and a shawl if they had to leave their nice hot homes - but if there is a zoo in the neighbourhood I have to visit it, and I visited both Lincoln and Brookfield zoos. During my second visit there later in 1997 it was pouring down, but then I just donned a yellow top-to-toe raincoat and visited both zoos again. I'm generally not willing to let the weather influence my doings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:09 pm

Iversen wrote:I have a rule: above 30°C I tend not to wear a sweater under my jacket, but I keep my long trousers on no matter what the weather people say. I don't even own a pair of shorts...

I laughed heartily at this. Are you sure you're not British? I remember going on a coach trip to Blackpool and the inside of the coach was a like an oven, but several of the jolly good chaps were wearing tweed jackets. I remember that Mr Walker said: "I think I'll have to take off my tie..."

I do own shorts, but this is the first time I've admitted it in public. I admire your gumption sir.
5 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 pm

I didn’t mind the dry heat of summer when I lived in the desert (SW USA) but now I live on the East Coast and the humid summers are gross.

I loved the weather in Denmark :)
4 x
Corrections are always welcome.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:40 pm

My stance in hot weather?
Rather Balzacian.
9C051B55-3C8A-496F-8DEE-D57BCEE42B91.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 pm

That's splendid, I hope it's true. :D
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”