What's your stance on hot weather?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: What's your stance on hot weather?

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:37 am

I still remember the weather report I watched in Egypt in 1992: the wall behind the presenter was painted with a redhot sun above a scorched desert. Presumably that was the normal weather situation there, so why change the image?
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:21 am

Now that autumn is fully here, with tons of rain and the need to dress warmer, I miss the hot weather. :-(
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:21 pm

Cavesa wrote:Now that autumn is fully here, with tons of rain and the need to dress warmer, I miss the hot weather. :-(

Me too. It's always the same, grass is greener ...etc. If it could only stay at September temperatures it would be ideal.
2 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:02 pm

I don't experience extremely cold or hot days in southeastern China where I live. The temperature is usually from around 37C to 5C from summer to winter.

Well, there are people who complain weathe is very hot or cold but that is fine for me.

When I concentrate on something I like, I don't feel it's that hot as other people feel. Occasionally I do feel it is hot, and I comfort myself it will just last a few months.

There's a Chinese saying which roughly means when a person has a serene mind, there's coolness in his/her heart. I do say this to myself when I feel physically hot, emotionally irritated, etc.
1 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Gaoling97
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Chinese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18675

Postby Gaoling97 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:14 pm

allf100 wrote:I don't experience extremely cold or hot days in southeastern China where I live. The temperature is usually from around 37C to 5C from summer to winter.

I know this isn't "southeastern China", but I live in Hangzhou and the winters here are absolutely brutal if you do not have central heating (as almost nobody in the south does) and you aren't able to use the AC for heating. I was quite strongly quitting my job at one point simply because I just could not handle how cold it was indoors, until I was able to come to a compromise with my employer. I swear 5C in the south is legitimately much harder to deal with than -20C in the northeast.

As for the actual question, I really enjoy hot weather for a few months a year (was routinely around or above 40C this past summer) as somebody who runs extremely cold, but as somebody who also likes layering on a lot of clothing, I prefer it to be very cold for most of the year (as it is e.g. in northeastern China).
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:28 am

Le Baron wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Now that autumn is fully here, with tons of rain and the need to dress warmer, I miss the hot weather. :-(

Me too. It's always the same, grass is greener ...etc. If it could only stay at September temperatures it would be ideal.

Spring here, generally nice weather - today max 22C and much warmer to come. I prefer autumn though, since I could seriously do without the hooikoorts (hayfever)! I'd prefer 40C over 22C with stuffy sinuses and eyes so itchy I want to stab them out of existence!
3 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”