What's your stance on hot weather?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Re: What's your stance on hot weather?

Postby tractor » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Ideal summer conditions: between 25 and 30°C and sunshine. Ideal winter conditions: –5°C, lots of snow on the ground, but not snowing.

–20°C is too cold and +40°C too hot. I don't like it when it's hot and humid.
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:17 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
IronMike wrote:While deployed to Djibouti

Is there actually that much French actually spoken there by the general populace?

Yes. Uh, I mean: Oui.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm

My position has hardened, 32-33°C daily is not normal for this country.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:44 pm

I have 28.8° C in my flat right now, and I don't mind. I do however mind that my mother's garden is drying out because the heat is combined with a dry spell that has lasted for weeks now. The cure might be to go on holiday with a plan that included zoological gardens and long walks - then it would probably start to rain at my destination, though not necessarily at my mother's garden.

Kunst106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 am

Perfect temperature depends on activity of course. 15-19° C is good for working or hiking, 20-22° C is perfect for sitting in the shade, reading. If there is a cooling wind blowing, 23 or 24° are okay too. Everything above 25° C is unbearable!
2 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lowsocks » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:10 pm

rdearman wrote:Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it. :ugeek:
Though some would argue that humans have been doing something about it... unfortunately.
2 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

thibaultbul
Languages: Bulgarian (N), English (C1), French (B1), German (A1), Swedish (beginner)

Postby thibaultbul » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Nogon wrote:Perfect temperature depends on activity of course. 15-19° C is good for working or hiking, 20-22° C is perfect for sitting in the shade, reading. If there is a cooling wind blowing, 23 or 24° are okay too. Everything above 25° C is unbearable!

Same here. And I am Bulgarian, our summer are too hot for me. Every summer I'm envious of Swedes and Czechs for their summer temps (but less storms/clouds than Germany and Poland). ;)
Sofia can get too cold in winter and too hot in summer and it's also probably the capital with the most occurances of lightnings in Europe.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:44 pm

thibaultbul wrote:
Nogon wrote:Perfect temperature depends on activity of course. 15-19° C is good for working or hiking, 20-22° C is perfect for sitting in the shade, reading. If there is a cooling wind blowing, 23 or 24° are okay too. Everything above 25° C is unbearable!

Same here. And I am Bulgarian, our summer are too hot for me. Every summer I'm envious of Swedes and Czechs for their summer temps (but less storms/clouds than Germany and Poland). ;)
Sofia can get too cold in winter and too hot in summer and it's also probably the capital with the most occurances of lightnings in Europe.

Well the cold Czech weather (basically autumn for vast majority of the year) had always been one of my primary sources of motivation to move abroad :-D :-D :-D

See, nothing pleases everybody :-D I would love to see the Sofia lightnings one day. But of course preferably from a window. And the rest of Sofia of course. Your description of the weather just moved it up on the list. I heard it's a beautiful city.
2 x

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:09 am

I hate the monotony and extreme heat in Singapore. There is no need to check the weather report since the temperature is around 30 everyday all year long. With high humidity. So a lot of time is spent indoors in air conditioning. Lee Kuan Yew has a famous quote in which he said that air conditioning is the most important invention for Singapore and the tropics in general. With climate change, air conditioning is becoming more common in places where it wasn't necessary before.
0 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:08 pm

I have lived for 2 years in Australia and much longer in central America. In Central Australia, the dry heat was sometimes up to 48º in the non-existing shade, without Airco. You drink about 6 litres a day.
As a result, my thermostat has adapted.
I live here in the truly arctic part of the Ardennes, the aptly named Eislek and I suffer. The first heat was 9 months of winter and 3 months of rain.

Luckily, this year I can go back to my cordillera for the entire December and January. Masha will warm the cat while I am away and thrive in my 25-30º during most days. After that, 3 more winters and back to the tropics :D .
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”