Scandinavian Travel Plans

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Scandinavian Travel Plans

Postby Xenops » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 pm

So I would like to visit Scandinavia this year, and these are my two time availabilities:

Mid-August

Late December-early January.

Now one source of info said Scandinavia, in particular Norway, that around Christmas time everything shuts down: unless you have family, there is nothing to do.

So my questions are:

1. Is one time frame better than the other? I am visiting to see if I could see myself living there, so visiting in the winter makes sense me, but it just might be me.
2. Anything else I should consider?

Tusen talk. :)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Scandinavian Travel Plans

Postby Iversen » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:42 pm

In Denmark we have a fairly liberal legislation concerning the opening hours of shops, so ordinary shops can in principle be permanently open apart from a few public holidays, and supermarkets can be open all year round if they want to. In practice ordinary shops are closed Saturday afternoon, Sunday and public holidays, but most supermarkets only close down during the night hours and the 25. December and 2. January. And during the winter months most sights in the countryside close down, but those in the towns mostly remain open (with some reservations about 'juledag' the 25. December and 'nytårsdag' 2. January, where the whole country does indeed seem to fall asleep). So if you don't mind the weather (which tends to be greyish rather than white here) you can visit us at any time of the year.

As for Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland I'll leave it to people living there to give you the precise information, but you should be aware that days get shorter (and colder) the further North you go - and opening hours may be restricted.

Kunst002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”