Do you have a piece of music with a strong emotional memory attached?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Do you have a piece of music with a strong emotional memory attached?

Postby Iversen » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:11 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:There was a time when I listened to my collection in alphabetical order. When I reached J. S. Bach, it was baroque for a few weeks. Then something else. But still under B.

Actually I once started to read the 20 volumes of Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians, and I also gave up somewhere around the letter B. Maybe somebody has put a curse on that letter..
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:32 pm

Actually, quite a lot of them. Pieces that bring moments or people back into my life for the few minutes, pieces or songs that bring an immediate emotional response. Some are rather typical. But there are two that really stand out of the crowd:

One is very positive. Liszt's Nocturne N.3 was a favourite of my grandpa's, who used to play it it on the piano. Just some parts and with mistakes, due to many years of low practice, but I was so happy finding a video on youtube, in which the professional pianist was using the same dynamic and the same tempo changes, those that I remember from my childhood. The video is gone now (I was stupid not to download the sound from it) and all the others I've found are different. I still hope I'll find a new version again one day, with a pianist feeling it this way.

One is a bit different. We had the Scorpions: Still loving you played at my sister's funeral. I love the song, I had known it would be used like this years before she died. This music is a tie to a life long gone and to what we should have been. It is possible I have even prenatal memories of this band being played, from what my dad says. The lyrics are originally about a different situation, different kind of a relationship, different love, but I found them to relate a lot to me and my regrets. Ever since the funeral, I have had mixed reactions to the song, but always strong. Sometimes, I am very happy to hear it, sometimes I just cannot bear it, the pain becomes too sharp again. It depends on the moment, on the situation, on how strong or emotionally tired I am at the given moment. But I have no doubts that it will be mostly a happy emotion with a bit of nostalgia one day. It just might take a long time.
3 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:10 pm

REM came up in another context in another thread, but this version of the song is a tear-jerker:

I remember being out with my bandmates, we were a trio and this unknown band happened to "opening up" for other bar bands that night (3 bands total).

It was love at first feel.
Last edited by luke on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Speaking of Ray Kelly... a clip from 5 April 2014 (eight years ago today):
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Travel and Culture”