Regional foods you once ate, but now can't get...

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Re: Regional foods you once ate, but now can't get...

Postby allf100 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:58 pm

Iversen wrote:Milk and cheese may be rare in Eastern Asia because they mostly are bought by expats - it's a genetic mutation that allows some grown-ups in the West to consume milk I'm told, and I rejoice in being one of them...

Milk is very common and welcome in China. We can buy them from supermarkets or directly individual cows/sheep raisers. Many families have milk every day.

Cheese is also available in some big cities, though it is not that common for most of Chinese people. It is probably mostly used in Western food. I don't eat it, so I am not sure if it is available in my city.
1 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:15 pm

UHT is the most common form of milk sold in Spain, usually without any added flavour, and fresh or pasteurized milk is usually seen as a premium, as it's more expensive than the first one (10-20% of difference).

Fresh milk taste better, but it goes bad quite earlier (5-7 days) than the UHT one (3-4 months), so the last one is more convenient.
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:19 am

Le Baron wrote:
Kullman wrote:UHT is the most common form of milk sold in Spain, usually without any added flavour, and fresh or pasteurized milk is usually seen as a premium, as it's more expensive than the first one (10-20% of difference).

Fresh milk taste better, but it goes bad quite earlier (5-7 days) than the UHT one (3-4 months), so the last one is more convenient.

The bit I underlined seems curious to me. I don't think general UHT milk anywhere has any added flavour. It's just milk flavour.

He's probably thinking about chocolate milk, and the like.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:53 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Excuse me, Le Baron - I did the unforgivable mistake of copying my own answer in on top of your message (which was longer than the quote below), which is one risk moderators can run when they have stopped thinking.

Kullman wrote:(...) usually without any added flavour,

Le Baron wrote:The bit I underlined seems curious to me. I don't think general UHT milk anywhere has any added flavour. It's just milk flavour.
Interesting that it's cheaper than fresh milk. Here they're pretty much the same price now. In fact the bio UHT whole milk is 3 cents dearer than the bio fresh whole milk from the same brand! I can use a 500ml carton well before 7 days (well before 5 days).

Last time I visited South Eastern Asia almost all UHT milk (the only kind I saw) had some added flavour, and without that I would be sceptical about drinking the stuff. You can buy UHT milk in Denmark, but the only kind I would buy is chocolate milk - and unfortunately that's also just about the only kind you can get, at least in half or whole liters. And I wouldn't bother to buy less - I can gulp down 500ml in one go, and that's what I do when I'm travelling because I can do it while walking from one sight to another.

One thing that bothers me is that almost all yoghurts here have the same added flavours - and strawberry probably takes up half the market because of institutions and other users of shopping lists. Sometimes another flavour pops up for a limited period, and you can also always get things like 'forest fruits' or'peach melba' (plus 'nothing' which tastes really bad), but I remember with fondness the other kinds I have tasted around the world. Like the assembly below which I bought during my stay in Kosice in Slovakia a few years ago. As for milk: I wouldn't mind at all if I could get the same gamut of tastes in UHT milk - plus green spearmint.

F5811b05_Yoghurt-Kosice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Interesting, I never knew the term UHT milk, though I certainly had it in Asia. I grew up with only fresh milk (to borrow the term used in Indonesia: susu segar). Even milk given to kids at school in little cartons was fresh and had to be constantly refrigerated. Indonesia was probably where I had UHT milk the first time, and I'm sure I tried chocolate and white and probably other flavors. In China, for Christmas my boss gave me a case of UHT milk (white) and a large box of Oreos. I can still taste that delightful combo.

In very rural Xinjiang I was able to buy fresh refrigerated yogurt of equal quality to the US. I wish I had thought to look up whether it was made and packaged locally or shipped from some further part of China. Yogurt in China in my experience is much less sweet and syrupy than its US counterpart. On that farm, staying with my in-laws, I bought raw milk from a neighbor and heated it ourselves to boiling before drinking it warm. I had raw milk from a dairy farm in Texas last year and the experience was much worse without the boiling. :lol:
2 x

Kullman
Orange Belt

Postby Kullman » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:38 pm

Here in Spain chocolate flavoured is the most common UHT flavoured milk, but not the only one... if you search you can find also vanilla flavoured milk and also what we call "leche merengada" (cinammon-lemmon flavoured milk)...
0 x

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:24 am

Iversen wrote:Last time I visited South Eastern Asia almost all UHT milk (the only kind I saw) had some added flavour, and without that I would be sceptical about drinking the stuff.

If I recall correctly, you visited Singapore during that trip? "Plain" UHT milk is quite common here and you can find it in any supermarket. (We don't drink it regularly but we keep one or two in the cupboard in case we run out of refrigerated milk.) But of course there is also flavored UTH milk available.
0 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:39 am

Kullman wrote:Here in Spain chocolate flavoured is the most common UHT flavoured milk, but not the only one... if you search you can find also vanilla flavoured milk and also what we call "leche merengada" (cinammon-lemmon flavoured milk)...

I know you don't like Nicaragua.. But I still remember the first time I wanted to buy milk

Qué sabor quiere?
(which flavour)

My puzzled reply was well cow flavoured

Turned out that in Nicaragua there is hardly any milk in the shops, only UHT (which to me has plastic flavour). There is also not the choice of local cheeses we have in Costa Rica.

The cinnamon and vanilla variant is usually prepared in leche dormida https://www.crhoy.com/reportaje-especial/leche-dormida-la-famosa-bebida-guanacasteca-sacada-de-los-suenos-de-su-creador/

Then, as soon as I got back to Europe I had a feat of cheese.. but leche dormida is something I truly miss
0 x

Kullman
Orange Belt

Postby Kullman » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:14 pm

That "leche dormida" is a lot like "leche merengada" with vanilla...

I'm guessing the secret ingredient is egg white...
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:25 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Things I miss from Ireland:
[...]
A really nice cup of tea.

Slowly getting the hang of it. Sunday morning I brewed a cup of tea that reminded me of my trips to Ireland.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Travel and Culture”