Season's Greetings

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Season's Greetings

Postby allf100 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:51 am

Season's greetings to all!

I have a few questions about season's greetings. If my memory serves me right, many years ago, some Westerners who are German and other Europeans told me they didn't say 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' to each other ahead of the days, otherwise it would bring bad luck.

Just now I happened to watch a video in which a French pianoist whose name is Richard Clayderman says 'Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance' something like that in French to his Chinese audience on a China-based video sharing website where he has his account. I don't speak French, but got the message from the translation on the subtitle. The video has been published on Dec. 23. We don't have such taboos I mentioned above. Do the French not have such taboos either?

A few days ago, I wrote to an American wishing she has a great vacation there. Is it okay? I didn't mention about the specific holidays to her.

Thank you!
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Return to “Travel and Culture”