Is everybody angry where you live?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Is everybody angry where you live?

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:02 pm

tungemål wrote:People are generally not angry. But maybe tired of the situation.
I can't take any more greek letters!

Like a month ago, I saw two totally unrelated shops closed in the city, and the space for rent. People used to name other stuff with the Greek letters pretty commonly. A bad idea, but nobody had a clue.

Not even a shoe store named Omicron or a boat company Delta will attract people now :-D
4 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Cavesa wrote:It is not just Covid, even though all the restrictions have been a huge contributing factor. It is the incessant stream of tragedies. We are supposed to face one "exceptional" situation after another and there is no time to recharge for the vast majority of the society. We are supposed to suffer some consequences of covid and draw from resources "hoarded" before (except for most people not having had opportunity to hoard, no matter whether we speak about a financial reserve, or solid relations and life stability), but at the same time give up a lot of comfort because of stupid ecology (all the annoying changes demanded of the general population without hitting the biggest players won't help anyways, it is a lost cause), now rising prices due to war (but people had already spent all their reseves before) and sharing with a new wave of refugees, the stories of whom are breaking our cicatrised hearts again and again, until many people have a too hardened one.

Anything, no matter how small, can become the last drop. And the mug can overflow even every day again and again, because there is no real time to let it all out, recharge, and prepare. And all the advice on "dealing with stress" is just mockery. We need hope, it is severely lacking.

Quoting this as it resonated with me. It's hard to find reserves to draw on when they've been drained and not replenished over the last couple of years. I personally really don't have much to complain about, and am overall very lucky, but that makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to feel drained. I did think at the very start of the pandemic when there were articles about it being easier psychologically because everyone was in it together, that that did not sound right - usually if one person needs support, there are others who are doing fine who can provide it, but if everyone has been through difficulties, that's not really the case. And crisis upon crisis without foreseeable end is not easy to handle psychologically. I remember thinking that if I could just get through to the end of 2020, everything would be better, but that's not really worked out...

Also, to address the original question, I'm seeing this in my environment too. I was going to launch into a whole story, but I've decided it's not worth it! But, yeah, it's tiring.
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:Quoting this as it resonated with me. It's hard to find reserves to draw on when they've been drained and not replenished over the last couple of years. I personally really don't have much to complain about, and am overall very lucky, but that makes me feel as though I'm not allowed to feel drained. I did think at the very start of the pandemic when there were articles about it being easier psychologically because everyone was in it together, that that did not sound right - usually if one person needs support, there are others who are doing fine who can provide it, but if everyone has been through difficulties, that's not really the case. And crisis upon crisis without foreseeable end is not easy to handle psychologically. I remember thinking that if I could just get through to the end of 2020, everything would be better, but that's not really worked out...

Also, to address the original question, I'm seeing this in my environment too. I was going to launch into a whole story, but I've decided it's not worth it! But, yeah, it's tiring.

The "we are all in it together" usually works excellently, but only for a limited amount of time. And this has been clearly visible. But I totally believe that it wasn't a similar experience for you, my point is not to invalidate your experience at all. But in general, there is a reason for these articles (other than just trying to keep people from mass suicides): As a species, we are made for short term intensive stress, that's how we've survived for billions of years. And we've evolved beyond most other species, we can tolerate longer and more complex stress situations. But there is still a limit.

After some point, it stops being the acute phase we are well prepared for and that brings us together. After that point, it starts dividing us (especially if we add to it a whole lot of restrictions meant to do the same thing), and exhausting the collective will to get through it.

We can get through a crisis together usually, but now we are exactly in what you describe. We are all facing collective crisis but also our own personal crisis (a part of which are just effects of the big crisis on the individual lives). More and more people simply have no extra resources left, especially psychological, to care about others.
8 x

Sebastian Stimmes
Languages: - speaks: Deutsch, English, Castellano.
- learns: 中文, 한국어, فارسی. Français.

Postby Sebastian Stimmes » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:33 pm

Something that annoys me terribly in the D-A-CH-LI countries (Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Liechtenstein) is that the polite forms of addressing somebody (with "Sie" and his family name) is currently being abandoned from advertisement. About ten years ago, it was very unpolite to address strangers with "du" and his Forenamy as if they were childen or friends and family members.

That many of today's people in the spanish and the german speaking countries do not seem to feel downgraded by these indiscrete manners anymore , could be symptomatic—just like the smartphone addiction and the tatoos that so many people have nowadays. Aren't these all symptoms for society taking more and more the form of a mere mass of people?
4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 pm

lavengro wrote:... My workplace was forced in a huge hurry to upgrade to support us working from home and like most places rose to the challenge well, out of necessity. .... It has resulted in what I expect to be a permanent shift for many - subject to how management decides to handle things down the road, my guess is the majority of my colleagues will elect not to return physically to the office. ...

Updating, since this thread has revived.

My prediction was correct - most of my co-workers decidely do not want to return to the office. Management has now mandated that we return to the office at least two or three days per week. There has been near rioting on the part of otherwise relatively agreeable workers over this - the sense of entitlement after having an opportunity of a lengthy period of working from home is astonishing to me. This is one of the issues in a pending massive strike vote taking place in March and April, and it is anticipated 165,000+ public servants will be in a position to strike, and otherwise to engage in significant labour disruption. I plan on gluing some Japanese grammar notes to the back of my placard and putting the angry marching around time to good use....
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:08 pm

lavengro wrote:
lavengro wrote:... My workplace was forced in a huge hurry to upgrade to support us working from home and like most places rose to the challenge well, out of necessity. .... It has resulted in what I expect to be a permanent shift for many - subject to how management decides to handle things down the road, my guess is the majority of my colleagues will elect not to return physically to the office. ...

Updating, since this thread has revived.

My prediction was correct - most of my co-workers decidely do not want to return to the office. Management has now mandated that we return to the office at least two or three days per week. There has been near rioting on the part of otherwise relatively agreeable workers over this - the sense of entitlement after having an opportunity of a lengthy period of working from home is astonishing to me. This is one of the issues in a pending massive strike vote taking place in March and April, and it is anticipated 165,000+ public servants will be in a position to strike, and otherwise to engage in significant labour disruption. I plan on gluing some Japanese grammar notes to the back of my placard and putting the angry marching around time to good use....
Are there some teach-yourself-tap-dancing drills you could work into your marching?
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:11 pm

DaveAgain wrote: .... Are there some teach-yourself-tap-dancing drills you could work into your marching?

I doubt we will have the time: we will likely need the next six weeks or so to work on our angry striking slogan. Current version, which definitely needs some work and some shortening, is:

“Hell No! We Won’t Go …. back to work in our offices, even though they are quite nice and were part of the original employment contract.”

I am busy working secretly on my own slogan, which will not make me popular with my colleagues, so maybe I will have to learn to say it in Japanese:

“Actually, I am already back to working from the office voluntarily six or seven days a week, but since everything seems on the table at present, would it be at all possible for me to bring in my cats? No worries if not.”

I bet it sounds more menacing in Japanese if shouted in a loud angry voice.
6 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:57 pm

I didn't think Canadians protested, or other loud, annoying things? I have seen some seriously angry signs recently on Canadian protests

11 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:32 pm

Sebastian Stimmes wrote:That many of today's people in the spanish and the german speaking countries do not seem to feel downgraded by these indiscrete manners anymore , could be symptomatic—just like the smartphone addiction and the tatoos that so many people have nowadays. Aren't these all symptoms for society taking more and more the form of a mere mass of people?

Beeing spanish myself, I must say we usually prefer the informal treatment "tu" instead of the more formal "usted".

Beeing treated like "usted" is usually seen as beeing seen as old by your interlocutor, and almost no one likes to grow old.

Latinamerican nationals used to be more prone to use the "usted" treatment, but they are starting to evolve (or involve) into the "tu" treatment.
2 x

ryankopf
Languages: English, Spanish, Japanese

Postby ryankopf » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 pm

While some people may be going through a difficult time or facing challenges, it's important to approach each individual with kindness and understanding. It's also important to seek out positive experiences and activities that bring joy and fulfillment. Focusing on positivity and seeking support from friends and family can help improve one's overall well-being and outlook on life.

For me, I think people around me are still pretty happy. Our area is relatively insulated from most of those problems thankfully.
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”