A virtual language holiday

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

A virtual language holiday

Postby jeffers » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:35 pm

The thread about travel got me thinking about an idea I had inspired by the pandemic: a "virtual" language holiday. I know there have been companies offering virtual tours of places during the pandemic, but my focus would be linguistic. Here are a few of the things I've thought about doing to create a virtual day out in some city in France (destination not yet decided):

• Get audio walking tours of the city. Obviously the audio language would be in the target language. Listen to the tour while "walking it" using streetview. Maybe I could do this even more immersively using the Google cardboard VR I have somewhere?
  • Watch a documentary or two about the city
  • Eat appropriate local food for my meals, snacks and drinks
  • Put on relevant background music while preparing and eating food (e.g. my Cafe Paris CD)
  • "Go to" entertainments: e.g. watch a film, watch a stand-up comedy

Any other good ideas?

For me, I could only do a short trip, because I have a full family bumping about the house who would quickly shatter the illusion! However, if I were single (or had a partner who wanted to do the same), I would consider making a 2 or 3 day thing of it.
7 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: A virtual language holiday

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:04 pm

Leave the house and bring your phone and a computer with you - and afterwards write a travelogue in French about your trip (and show that to your family so that they don't think you have been idling the time away, or worse).
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: A virtual language holiday

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:59 am

I relate to this post.

I was on the other thread wallowing in self pity as I haven’t been allowed to leave Australia for about 18 months - and every couple of days I find myself virtually travelling on YouTube travel channels or like Jeffers on google maps with plenty of street view!

Yesterday I was in google maps looking around Pangandaran in West Java, checking out the beaches and the lay of the land. I started clicking on the restaurants and checking out their menus, the photos and reviews! I’m thinking, “that looks like a pretty good $3 breakfast!” :lol:

I also jump on TripAdvisor and booking.com from time to time.

And I have Indonesian travel instagrammers in my feed - two of which are companies with whole world focuses - so I get ideas about lots of places everywhere!

All of these behaviours were present pre-covid but seem more frequent now. And there is lots of yearning!

In lieu of overseas and even domestic travel, I am currently restricted within 10km of my home, I make an effort to walk in an area I don’t really know once or twice a week. I take photos, buy a take away coffee, and occasionally meet a colourful local to chat with! :lol:

Edit: minor change for politeness!
6 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”