Travel to India - Learn basic Hindi

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Travel to India - Learn basic Hindi

Postby outcast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:07 am

Hello all,

So I have been in China for 3 months now, this is my first time going to a country where my target language is spoken, as I learned French, German, and Portuguese back home. The true immersion experience has been extremely helpful, and the gains more rapid than in the other languages (even though Chinese is more difficult from my linguistic relative background). More importantly, I have discovered new cultures and ideas and that is truly priceless.

Which brings me to Hindi. I have stated before (well not here, in the old HTLAL forums), that I want to learn Hindi, Russian, Italian, and some other language after my main language life mission of French, German, Portuguese, and Chinese to B2-C1 fluency is over (I have been at it since 2009). It's hard to believe but this project is slowly coming to an end, as I am reaching those goals, even as I still have some ways to go. Unlike the last 5+ years, were learning my four target languages has been a full-time job, the latter languages would be hobbies as I tackle the challenges of career and life in general. So my goals are more muted, but still rewarding (B1 in Hindi, Russian, Italian).

I have honestly gone back and forth between Hindi and Russian: at times I lean towards one, at times towards the other. This year I decided to dabble in Russian, before coming to China. Tackled the alphabet and basic phrases/pronunciation. But this experience in China, learning about East Asian culture (also have made Korean and Vietnamese friends from whom I have also learned), has re-intensified my desire to learn Hindi, a major language in the other great cradle of human civilization, India and the Subcontinent.

So I have adumbrated a plan to go to India after my stay in China is complete, and work super hard to learn Hindi up to a B1 level (I would learn the alphabet and pronunciation plus basic phrases and general grammar before going there). So I have some preliminary questions, I hope forum members from India or with links to the region can enlighten me:

1. What location would be both linguistically favorable for learning Hindi, and where the cost of living is reasonable without landing in some remote location?

2. Are there any institutes, organizations, or associations that are into helping foreigners in India learn Hindi, or help them with their stay there?

3. As a general estimate, how much money do you need to spend 3 months in India? My requirements are not big at all: just a small room (can share), a clean bed, a place i can put my books/clothes, and some laundry room or facility nearby. As long as I have those I am fine.

If anyone has insight, thank you in advance!
0 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

sanshiroda

Re: Travel to India - Learn basic Hindi

Postby sanshiroda » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:07 am

Hi its great to hear that you have interest in learning Hindi, Its the most used language and spoken in most of North and central India.
Again in big Indian cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune etc. you could get by knowing basic Hindi.
Some where around Delhi would be your best option for having easy access to Hindi learning institutes, even Mumbai (Bollywood is based here) should be good as we have people from all over India here so Hindi is a commonly used.
Regarding living cost I'm not sure you would have to research on it but food cost should be less than 10$ a day if you could eat Indian food.

If I can find some thing useful I will share.
1 x

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 am

If you do have new information on good schools and organizations, let me know.

Also maybe you could tell me where in Delhi would be a fairly good place to look for a place to stay. It's a huge city so would not know where to start, or what places to avoid price-wise or from transportation inconvenience.
0 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:00 pm

outcast wrote:If you do have new information on good schools and organizations, let me know.

Also maybe you could tell me where in Delhi would be a fairly good place to look for a place to stay. It's a huge city so would not know where to start, or what places to avoid price-wise or from transportation inconvenience.

I recommend Chandigarh instead of Delhi, it's less polluted, less crowded and lies at the border of the Hindi belt (meaning both Hindi and Punjabi are spoken natively there).
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”