queries on potential travel plans

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

queries on potential travel plans

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:35 pm

hi, from turkey.
I have some queries and request help.
in turkey we speak similar english to canadian english as I observed.
but not all of countries are speaking with same pronunciation. So , general enquiries:

1) could you help me please via informing whether an intermediate english would be sufficient to travel internationally (I have no experience so I ask whether I would potentially live any problem in the near time when I prepare passport , check in ,border security and similar process)

2) whether we would have problem in communication at some countries for instance like india which its official language is english but their pronunciation is very different in comparison to turkishes.

note please: I will be in somewhat like official programs but these consists of events. (they do not require toefl score or something like that)
but your experiences are very valuable for me. just write what you OBSERVED.

I will presumably be in conference program or events (more specifically for inventors whose inventions are being exhibited) so the following query:

3) what do you suggest to me?

note please one ePCT applicationn passed succesfully but Write ,though , in considering that you need these pieces of information. my 2016 toefl score was :51 (L:8 , W: 14 , S:13 , R:16) but according to the current turkish examinations the total score of 100 is 86. so probably the toefl score should be higher. (I presume it's about 65 or higher overall)

but once again would remind ,they did not ask any linguistic score :)

as addition: I several times called india patent office but did not understand them so

the last query:

could you make a comment if possible on what you observed at these countries

1) china (hong kong ,peking ) 2) malaysia 3) india (I only wonder whether I would be able to find my way in spite of the given explanations above.)
4) japan 5) indonesia.

to conclude with one sentence. I would like to thank to the administrators of this website because I really enjoy the air of this environment.

Kind Regards
jimmy
4 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: queries on potential travel plans

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:41 pm

I think you can have a very good travel experience with intermediate English. Make sure that you practice vocabulary and phrases related to travel, and don't be embarrassed if you need to repeat yourself or ask other people to repeat themselves.

In my opinion Indian English is very clear and easy to understand when you have experience with it, but it is very different from English dialects spoken by natives, and also different from standard international English by speakers whose country does not have as long of a history with English as India does. There is a lot of content by Indian English speakers on YouTube and you can probably find some videos related to your interests that will help you get experience listening to Indian English.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:15 pm

Deinonysus wrote:I think you can have a very good travel experience with intermediate English.

many thanks for both lovely and rational opinions.

Make sure that you practice vocabulary and phrases related to travel, and don't be embarrassed if you need to repeat yourself or ask other people to repeat themselves.

I personally think no problem with that. only the indian pronunciation came to me very different.

There is a lot of content by Indian English speakers on YouTube and you can probably find some videos related to your interests that will help you get experience listening to Indian English.

this should be correct ,because I also come across or saw some.
once again I think I should thank to you for the realistic and warm opinion.

Regards
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:00 pm

jimmy wrote:I have some queries and request help.
but not all of countries are speaking with same pronunciation. So , general enquiries:

1) could you help me please via informing whether an intermediate english would be sufficient to travel internationally (I have no experience so I ask whether I would potentially live any problem in the near time when I prepare passport , check in ,border security and similar process)

2) whether we would have problem in communication at some countries for instance like india
Non-native speakers may struggle with the formal vocabulary you use.
However, plenty of people travel with a very basic level of English if even that :D I wouldn't worry too much and certainly not choose the destination based on this.
Nowadays it also seems pretty common to use google translate while travelling, ie you type what you want to say in the local language and show them the translation*. Whether you do this or communicate with non-native speakers of English directly, you need to be able to simplify your words.
*English-L3 translation might work better than Turkish-L3, which may be Turkish-English-L3 in practice.

consider chatting with Indians online to get a feel for Indian English :)

people working at the passport control/customs are definitely supposed to speak English, but of course in practice their level may vary. at the land border they can generally ask the typical questions in the other country's language too.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Serpent wrote:
jimmy wrote:I have some queries and request help.

2) whether we would have problem in communication at some countries for instance like india
Non-native speakers may struggle with the formal vocabulary you use.
However, plenty of people travel with a very basic level of English if even that :D I wouldn't worry too much and certainly not choose the destination based on this.
Nowadays it also seems pretty common to use google translate while travelling, ie you type what you want to say in the local language and show them the translation*. Whether you do this or communicate with non-native speakers of English directly, you need to be able to simplify your words.
*English-L3 translation might work better than Turkish-L3, which may be Turkish-English-L3 in practice.

consider chatting with Indians online to get a feel for Indian English :)

people working at the passport control/customs are definitely supposed to speak English, but of course in practice their level may vary. at the land border they can generally ask the typical questions in the other country's language too.

revised

many thanks for your help. Now I am almost sure that I should/could feel myself relax especially if I understand the last sentence (in bold) well, stating that: you meant that border security / and other relevant staffes were speaking not advanced english and fast :)
if so,yes it seems also emphatical act. because ,already getting exact profession in any language seems like really not an action happening in so short time.
Thanks
I have some external queries but may consult you whether I would be able to ask under this thread as I know you are mod/editor/admin here.

the relevance will be: regarding travel outside by a funding association or by our own budget (but preference),which would be better(?)

if you say that it would be convenient,then I will give details.

thanks again.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 pm

the relevance will be: regarding travel outside by a funding association or by our own budget (but preference),which would be better(?)

in this quotation, I mention a gateway:

which of these selections would be better:

1) via a funding association: this association might support my project ,but in this case, the funding association will obtain almost all rights of my relevant patents.

2) via my own budget. this will presumably cost approximately around : 3000 $ for three/five days travel.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”