covid-19 has caused almost everything to be collapsed!

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

covid-19 has caused almost everything to be collapsed!

Postby jimmy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:39 pm

no travel,
no meetings,
no international programs,
no , no , no..

almost everything has been restricted.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Re: covid-19 has caused almost everything to be collapsed!

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am

OTOH there are some good things:

- Lots more access to telemedicine & teletherapy (no need to cross town for care)

- Zoom meetings with old friends: I've gotten to hang out on Zoom with all my old college friends, from whom I've been separated by the width of the continent or even oceans. Sometimes I would see them one at a time when one of us traveled, but we can all be together again via Zoom.

- Less traffic. For a while there were even less emissions.

But I really miss good restaurants and live music!
3 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:49 am

The Matrix of control....

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

The phrase derives from the full sentence, ; it was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain and others, who mistakenly attributed it to the British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli.[1] The phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death.[1] The phrase was attributed to an anonymous writer in mid-1891 and later that year to Sir Charles Dilke,[1] but several others have been listed as originators of the quote,[1] including frequent erroneous attribution to Twain himself.[2][1]
----------------------------
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it.

George Orwell

No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.

Woodrow Wilson
To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day

Theodore Roosevelt
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:55 pm

live music!

This is the only thing I really miss. Apart from medical necessities. I need my music fix!
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm happy that hugging and shaking hands and cheek kissing have become obsolete, and that people now generally stay one meter away from me like I always have wanted them to do.

I'm however not happy at all about not being being able to travel abroad every second month, and I hate wearing a face mask. As for live music: well, I prefer listening without having anybody else around me to sneeze, cough, munch goodies or discussing irrelevant things with their companions. But I feel truly sorry for those musicians whose income has more or less evaporated during these sad corona times.

As for the restaurants: the Michelin places have had a hard time, but the pizza parlours are still open here in Denmark. The bars have been ordered to close at 22, which is fine with me - the only problem is that drunk young people then continue to feast at home to the grief and sorrow of their poor innocent neighbours. The discotheques have been closed since spring - and I can't say that I miss them.
6 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:39 pm

Iversen wrote:I'm happy that hugging and shaking hands and cheek kissing have become obsolete, and that people now generally stay one meter away from me like I always have wanted them to do.

I miss hugs. I miss hugs so much.

One of my friends and I remind each other of this on at least a monthly basis it seems.
5 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:41 pm

jimmy wrote:no travel,
no meetings,
no international programs,
no , no , no..

almost everything has been restricted.

Meetings are definitely still happening, but they're happening online. I certainly don't like online meetings, but those are still happening. Of course for the people I know who have always worked 100% online (and don't have children at home), their work life has stayed more or less the same.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:39 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:The Matrix of control....

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

The phrase derives from the full sentence, ; it was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain and others, who mistakenly attributed it to the British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli.[1] The phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death.[1] The phrase was attributed to an anonymous writer in mid-1891 and later that year to Sir Charles Dilke,[1] but several others have been listed as originators of the quote,[1] including frequent erroneous attribution to Twain himself.[2][1]
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it.

George Orwell

No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.

Woodrow Wilson
To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day

Theodore Roosevelt

“The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control.

The world is rudderless.”
Alan Moore

“History is much more the product of chaos than of conspiracy”
Zbigniew Brzezinski

“Facts count. Conspiracy theories, usually the refuge of the bitter or disempowered, range from factually challenged to wildly hallucinogenic. Conspiracy theories are not harmless entertainment, or a laudable facet of the freedom of speech. Conspiracy theories do both overt and tacit harm.”
K Lee Lerner

“The mentally disturbed do not employ the Principle of Scientific Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of facts. They shoot for the baroque.”
Philip K. Dick

Here in Australia we have been very fortunate that we have had a relatively low number of cases and deaths - approximately 27,000 cases and nearly 900 deaths in a country of approximately 25 million. Those are the statistics and I don’t believe there is any lying involved with them.

We have suffered in other ways, too of course. People have lost their jobs, mental health is not so healthy for many, and travel has been more restricted here than nearly anywhere in the world. Travel between many states has not been possible for me for months. I would have to ask permission to leave the country and I probably wouldn’t get it. If I did get it, i would be quarantined in a hotel for two weeks, confined to a single room, at my expense on return.

These restrictions have played a huge role in keeping our case numbers and deaths low. I believe those restrictions have been imposed by well meaning state and federal governments in the best interests of Australian citizens. I don’t believe they have been guided by any invisible hands. And that is despite the fact that I did not vote for the incumbent governments where I live.

Certainly there is always room for discussion of the effectiveness of response, of the proportionality of the response and the motivations of certain people that lobby for power and position in their workplaces in the return to a post covid world. Hopefully that discussion is based on fact and cites specific instances, and doesn’t just make vague unsubstantiated claims and blame.

People, businesses and governments have all suffered. There are have been a few “winners” who make masks and sell medical equipment of course but so what? I certainly don’t believe the winners had a secret agenda to spread the virus and profit. I see no gains for governments that incur large financial losses themselves and have to face the nation with huge deficits.

It’s been a tough year for the world. I have been personally lucky, I feel - but there have been downs, too.

I have strengthened some friendships by meeting regularly online and others by meeting in person. I am retired and my income is as secure as it gets.

On the downside there have been the same moments of stress and uncertainty that billions have felt this year. One family member works in a public hospital and initially that was a big worry - it has proven not to be an ongoing concern. Another family member has needed to seek counselling. That’s tough for all of us.

Jimmy, I hope your “balance sheet” for the year has been as good as mine or better and the world improves ASAP.

Personally, I would love to be travelling and getting out to some live music, too.

Edit: spelling. And another negative for me: I’ve missed swimming, something that keeps me healthy and emotionally healthy. My pool is still closed, though others have opened with restrictions. The ocean is still too cold for me for the next 1.5 months.
13 x

fivelove
Languages: english and german

Postby fivelove » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

i totally agree with you and i think the social no's we got were the worst! i mean we cant go out wuth loved ones, no dating, no hanging out no friends ! what are we supposed to do ? send our love in skype or something ?
1 x
have you ever done the love language quiz ? what was your type ?
https://www.quizexpo.com/5-love-language-quiz/

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:48 pm

I miss traveling and doing martial arts the most--I do BJJ occasionally at a small gym an hour away, but I don't want to go back training frequently in bigger gyms just yet. Working at home is cool but I also wish I could go out and do things...and the masks are annoying.
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Return to “Travel and Culture”