What do you do for a living

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
ninuno
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese Mandarin (N), English (C1), French (?), Spanish(?), Russian(??), German (A1), Italian (?), Portuguese (?), Polish (?), Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Pashto, Hindi-Urdu, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Malay-Indonesian, Burmese, Soteapanec, !Xóõ, among others that are being dabbled.

What do you do for a living

Postby ninuno » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:58 am

:?:
0 x

mattf789
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (A1)
French (beginner)

Re: What do you do for a living

Postby mattf789 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 am

ninuno wrote::?:

I drive a lorry delivering drinks to the on-trade. I was lazy at school :lol:
3 x
Official Memrise French 1-7: 3100 / 3100
Assimil French: 11 / 113
Overall French Memrise Progress: 3323 / 6000

tastyonions
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, IT, PT, DE, NL

Postby tastyonions » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:51 am

I’m a computer programmer. My job had nothing to do with natural languages until pretty recently, when we got a contract in Quebec and I happened to be the only one in the head office who spoke French. Now I’m the designated guy that our Quebec clients email with technical questions.
4 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), Haitian Creole (sidelined), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14876

Postby Decidida » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Former student that is currently a couch-surfing refugee.

I won't qualify for resident-tuition until I have been on a lease for a year, so I won't be a degree-seeking student again for awhile. In between all the appointments required to establish residency, I study Spanish. Even though I have to work REALLY hard to make any progress, at least I am making progress at something that will matter no matter what happens with this pandemic. My Spanish studies are my lifeline right now.

I have no idea what I will major in when I go back to school. What will the world be like, then?
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N); FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated); SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted); ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares); GERMAN (ich bin ein Anfänger - currently A0); JAPANESE (against my better judgment - barely A0); GÀIDHLIG? (A-nis tha mi brònach); LANG BELTA? (Walowda ámolof fo kowl beltalowda); start FINNISH? (maybe ...).

Postby lavengro » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:12 pm

International jewel thief.

It would be of benefit to me in my vocation if I had better facility with more languages. That, and if I were more stealthy.
4 x
"Blaming a bridge collapse on a school is like blaming owls for why I suck at analogies."
- Britta Perry, of course.

Return to “Travel and Culture”