one problem and one query

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

one problem and one query

Postby jimmy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:40 pm

hello friends;

I state that it has been a strict problem that currently hinders me to walk internationally.
simply,it is psychiatric,I realised that there was no effective solution after spending long times with doctor(medical).

it is this one: I fear in the nights to sleep when I am "alone". when someone exists with me in bedroom,then there is no problem.
but else,I cannot sleep. it seems simple but...

I ask your opinions whether it should really be accepted as real obstacle to walk internationally especially if I would reside at target country.
additionally: if there are some sample stories which contains such properties of such people's life (more clearly like me) and they are walking & working internationally,I would be quite happy to hear.

query:

will it be useful to watch videos on "youku" (but with one difference) if we change the speed (means if we make it more slowly)

yours
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic - Polyglot

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: one problem and one query

Postby aokoye » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 pm

As someone with chronic mental health issues, I wouldn't say that they're automatically going to be a hindrance to ability to live or work internationally. That said, that's going to be very dependent on your own ability to function, what support you need, how well you're doing currently, etc. It's very much a case by case basis sort of situation. I'm also not convinced that there is "no effective solution" so much as you may not have been working with doctors/therapists/psychiatrists that are doing things that are simply not effective for you. That is to say, you haven't gotten treatment that works for you. Whether or not a wide variety of mental health professionals are available where you are is another question entirely though and not one that I'm able to answer (or help you with).

Edit: I should also note that I've lived and studied in multiple places all while dealing with said mental health issues (depression and anxiety). For me it has never been an issue of location, but rather an issue of resources and my own ability to function. Mind you, the US is also a very large country with a complex medical system with regards to health insurance and by extension, access to health care. That's especially true with regards to mental health care. I'll be starting a masters program in Canada in the Fall and the question, when looking ahead to grad school, has never been about whether or not I would be ok in another country, it was whether or not I was ok enough to function outside of structure have now. Moving to Canada (another geographically large country) would be no different in that regard than moving to New York, Seattle, Chicago (not true actually but only because I have very good friends in Chicago), Boston, etc. The only real difference would be if I were to crash and burn, I wouldn't be forced to move back to the US. That is a very big deal, but one that is predicated on not functioning.

Over the past 3 or 4 years I also took lot of conscious steps to prepare for but also more or less test whether or not I'd a. be ready for grad school and b. be ready for grad school outside of Portland. Those included challenging myself academically, studying in Germany one summer (which meant no therapy for two months), and having but not making use of academic accommodations (just incase I wouldn't be able to get them in the future).
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I think there is no problem with functioning (also it is not sufficiently clear what you mean with that word ("function")
but simply I need someone to sleep with me,because I am unable to sleep when I am alone.
this not always happening action
but with this, I also do not know when it will happen. And this problem cannot be moved away in short time period.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:58 pm

jimmy wrote:I think there is no problem with functioning (also it is not sufficiently clear what you mean with that word ("function")
but simply I need someone to sleep with me,because I am unable to sleep when I am alone.
this not always happening action
but with this, I also do not know when it will happen. And this problem cannot be moved away in short time period.

If you can't sleep alone, by which I'm assuming you mean without someone in the same bed as you, then you need to figure out how to cope with that. This is especially true if you're not currently in a romantic relationship. This is not something that anyone here can help you with, but rather something you need to speak with a therapist about.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:33 am

no,of course not in my bed.it would be rather strange if it was so. :)
but I need someone in my room.
I am almost sure that the therapist will not be able to do almost anything. but I did not try to sleep with any animal (e.g. parrot or another suitable bird)
this was advised by one of my friend.
Last edited by jimmy on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am

jimmy wrote:hello friends;
will it be useful to watch videos on "youku" (but with one difference) if we change the speed (means if we make it more slowly)

It may be useful to slow down the videos a little, about 85-90% speed. You will need to download the video into your computer and use VLC media player to play it.

Youku let's you play the video at 50% speed. Don't do that. It makes it very anoying and the sound becomes poor quality. Just play at 100% you will get used to it.

My experience with playing slowed down videos is, however, that the benefits of it are very short lived. I increased from 80% to 85, 90, 95... after just a few days I could keep up with 100% and slowing down no longer improved comprehension.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm

白田龍 wrote:
jimmy wrote:hello friends;

It may be useful to slow down the videos a little, about 85-90% speed. You will need to download the video into your computer and use VLC media player to play it.

Youku let's you play the video at 50% speed. Don't do that. It makes it very anoying and the sound becomes poor quality. Just play at 100% you will get used to it.

My experience with playing slowed down videos is, however, that the benefits of it are very short lived. I increased from 80% to 85, 90, 95... after just a few days I could keep up with 100% and slowing down no longer improved comprehension.

many thanks for your contribution by this comment.
mmm,may I ask whether we would be able to download all of videos being shown on youku?
meanwhile, I am not sure but it seem that there might be two probability for one of my presumption or for a point that I have realised:

these are:

1) presumably not all of videos on youku are chinese. because some of characters are not being pronunciated as I tried to familiarise with them.

2) or, probably not just one of chinese dialects is being used here. because of the reason I stated above.
in the first item

one another point by my experience is that I am definitely sure that I do not want to experience once again the pronunciation problem as I lived in my second foreign language (in english). I think that rather than the correct usages ,the guidance (i.e. the method you use)
is quite important.

just because of this point. almost all of Turkish OR the most of them are unable to pronunciate english well. unfortunately.

therefore,I would clearly say that by learning chinese , I want not only to write it,but I also want to pronunciate it well.

if not,then to me,I will not be able to say "I know it well " even if I spend highly strong effort.
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 pm

jimmy wrote:mmm,may I ask whether we would be able to download all of videos being shown on youku?

You can get a ton of chinese content on youtube (try searching 第一集, chapter 1), and download them with some of these firefox addons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 20download
jimmy wrote:1) presumably not all of videos on youku are chinese. because some of characters are not being pronunciated as I tried to familiarise with them.
2) or, probably not just one of chinese dialects is being used here. because of the reason I stated above.
in the first item

The vast majoriy of the content is in Mandarin. There is some content in Cantonese or Taiwanese you can find if you go looking for it. But the amount of content in Mandarin is many times bigger, you can safely assume something is in Mandarin unless otherwise stated.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”