Favourite foods from your travels

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Favourite foods from your travels

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Actually there are capers on the pizza in the image, and it is also my favorite pizza. I eat a lot of them when I'm abroad, but most pizzerias in Denmark don't offer this type, and the few that do call it different things (although most commonly "siciliana"). I once asked a pizzeria owner how this could be explained, and the answer was that he had to open a whole tin if just one customer asked for this variant of pizza, and then he might have to discard the rest of the tin. My answer to that would be to put some more anchovy on my pizza - plus more capers of course..

And now to something completely different: the only country where I have ever been remotely tempted to become a vegetarian for a limited time was India. And the reason is that I have the feeling that they hack the bones with the meat, and then they let the whole thing cook for three days. As for the spices they don't scare me much. I have been on a hotel on Sri Lanka where they had a table for the tourists and another marked 'devilled' - presumably for the local people. The latter had all the good stuff, whereas the tourist table had some rather bland things. In Mexico I only once had a meal that left a slight burn on my tongue- that was a burger in a small joint in a small town somewhere between Ciudad de Mexico and Puebla. I don't know why Mexican food has the reputation that it sends people out to stick their heads into the watering through as in Lucky Luke - I think they reserve the really strong stuff for hardcore chili-eating competitions.

Madlavning.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Iversen wrote:Actually there are capers on the pizza in the image, and it is also my favorite pizza. I eat a lot of them when I'm abroad, but most pizzerias in Denmark don't offer this type, and the few that do call it different things (although most commonly "siciliana"). I once asked a pizzeria owner how this could be explained, and the answer was that he had to open a whole tin if just one customer asked for this variant of pizza, and then he might have to discard the rest of the tin. My answer to that would be to put some more anchovy on my pizza - plus more capers of course..

This happened to me several years ago. I ended up ordering the anchovy pizza so often, they told me they started giving me the entire tin/jar of anchovies.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

LeeGood
Languages: Spanish
French

Postby LeeGood » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Turkish moussaka is amazing, highly recommend
0 x

tussentaal
White Belt

Postby tussentaal » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Cape Verdean tuna. :ugeek:
0 x
ge hebt ne vriend...

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:44 am

Tartiflette in Grenoble.

I don't know why it was so good. If you look at the picture, it looks like potatoes and cheese so what's the big deal, but it was really exceptional. Must have been the Reblochon cheese, which I was not able to find when I tried to reproduce it at home. There's some kind of French cheese that's considered an acceptable substitute for Reblochon, but when I used it I did not recreate the magic ...

Sandwiches bought from street vendors in Grenoble, also great. That's a lot easier to reproduce at home, but they used high quality ingredients and the prices were reasonable.
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Return to “Travel and Culture”