Book shops

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Book shops

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 am

I've put this thread in Travel & Culture as one would more likely visit these places when travelling and books form part of culture but I realise there is an argument to view this as a Resources thread.

I could be wrong but I don't believe we have a dedicated list of good book shops from around the world?

For countries such as France, Canada, USA, etc I am sure we could all find plenty such shops but elsewhere they can be harder to find. I propose we make a list of ones we like whether they are monolingual or multilingual. All countries to be catered for!
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Re: Book shops

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Myanmar (Burma)

Innwa Books & Cafe
1. No. 13, (Block 2,) Mingalar Mandalay, Mandalay
2. 206D, 2nd Floor, Myanmar Plaza, Yangon

(Not to be confused with the old city of Innwa)

They have Burmese books (including translations of very popular English & children's books), English books, lots of books for learning English and the odd one for learning Burmese. A few small dictionaries as well. Have a nice selection on Burmese history, social anthropology and politics (these have probably been carefully selected!). Alas no parallel texts. Excellent prices too compared to home.
5 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 am

(Going through my Google Maps, may take some time to unearth them all)

--

Berlin (Germany)
Gelikon Europe GmbH "Russische Bücher"
Kantstraße 84, 10627 Berlin

They have a great selection of Russian books. Also some study books, but as far as I could tell all German-Rusisan.

Japanische Buchhandlung Yamashina
Pestalozzistraße 67, 10627 Berlin

Good place to get Japanese books. Also has a lot of manga (Japanese and German, mostly).

--

London (UK)
Japan Centre
35b Panton St, London SW1Y 4EA

Good place to get Japanese study books.

--

Netherlands
De Vries Van Stockum
Spui 40, 2511 BS Den Haag

Good selection of study books, both Dutch-> and English->.

The American Book Center
Lange Poten 23, 2511 CM Den Haag

Okay selection of study books (with English as a base).
2 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am

Bluepaint wrote:Myanmar (Burma)

Innwa Books & Cafe
1. No. 13, (Block 2,) Mingalar Mandalay, Mandalay
2. 206D, 2nd Floor, Myanmar Plaza, Yangon

(Not to be confused with the old city of Innwa)

They have Burmese books (including translations of very popular English & children's books), English books, lots of books for learning English and the odd one for learning Burmese. A few small dictionaries as well. Have a nice selection on Burmese history, social anthropology and politics (these have probably been carefully selected!). Alas no parallel texts. Excellent prices too compared to home.

Thanks for the tip, Bluepaint! I'm writing this from the Myanmar Plaza location in Yangon while enjoying a cup of tea. I can't think of anything to add to your description, but I can add another Yangon bookshop that I visited yesterday:

Myanmar Book Centre
561 Merchant Road, Yangon

They had a similar mix of English and Burmese books, with lots of books for learning English and a couple for learning Burmese: Burmese for Beginners by Gene Mesher and Easy Burmese by Kenneth Wong. (So far I haven't seen any books for learning Burmese that are only available here.)
4 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”