The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. December: Heaven and Hell/Three sisters

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate).

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. December: Heaven and Hell/Three sisters

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Mista wrote:December is here, and the title of the thread is updated. Who will be reading Heaven and Hell or Three sisters?
I'll be reading the three sisters, possibly as a parallel text in French and German, but I need to finish one of my other books first :-)
1 x

lavengro
Green Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N), FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated), SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted), ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); CHEWA (tempted...); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares). GERMAN? 9!! Now also JAPANESE?

Re: The New Forum Book Club thread 2019. December: Heaven and Hell/Three sisters

Postby lavengro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 pm

I have not found an online version of Chekhov's Three Sisters in Italian, but I will give a try at working through an Italian language production of the play which I found on Youtube. This version has clear audio but auto-generated Italian closed captioning and the video is blurry A.H. ("as heck").

Le tre sorelle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQtXZq2-tbU
0 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 184 / 330
German : 86 / 605
French : 80 / 780
Turkish : 31 / 335
Japanese : 2 / 460
Heisig : 135 / 2200

IronMike
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
Current: Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Maintaining: Russian (2+L/2+R on DLPT5 & 2+S on OPI in 2019)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!) and Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019)
Future: BCS, Old English.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Neither book is available in Esperanto and as for Chekhov, I've had enough of him in Russian and English.
0 x
My 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge!

365 Challenge : 0 / 366

marie39
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Postby marie39 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:23 pm

I decided to skip December. Is the book club continuing this year? I have a couple of recommendations if anyone is interested.

The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup

Thriller - I found the Spanish version avaliable on Kindle Unlimited. It seems like the book was translated into quite a few languages too.
A psychopath is terrorizing Copenhagen.

His calling card is a “chestnut man”—a handmade doll made of matchsticks and two chestnuts—which he leaves at each bloody crime scene.

Examining the dolls, forensics makes a shocking discovery—a fingerprint belonging to a young girl, a government minister’s daughter who had been kidnapped and murdered a year ago.

A tragic coincidence—or something more twisted?

To save innocent lives, a pair of detectives must put aside their differences to piece together the Chestnut Man’s gruesome clues.

Because it’s clear that the madman is on a mission that is far from over.

And no one is safe.

Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
Fiction - Amazon ahs the book in German, French, Italian and Portuguese. it looks like it's been translated into a couple of other languages too according to goodreads.

Jende Jonga, a Cameroonian immigrant living in Harlem, has come to the United States to provide a better life for himself, his wife, Neni, and their six-year-old son. In the fall of 2007, Jende can hardly believe his luck when he lands a job as a chauffeur for Clark Edwards, a senior executive at Lehman Brothers. Clark demands punctuality, discretion, and loyalty—and Jende is eager to please. Clark’s wife, Cindy, even offers Neni temporary work at the Edwardses’ summer home in the Hamptons. With these opportunities, Jende and Neni can at last gain a foothold in America and imagine a brighter future.

However, the world of great power and privilege conceals troubling secrets, and soon Jende and Neni notice cracks in their employers’ façades.

When the financial world is rocked by the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the Jongas are desperate to keep Jende’s job—even as their marriage threatens to fall apart. As all four lives are dramatically upended, Jende and Neni are forced to make an impossible choice.

Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
Nonfiction/Biography - This book has been translated into quite a few languages as well.

Tara Westover was 17 the first time she set foot in a classroom. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head-for-the-hills bag". In the summer she stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter she salvaged in her father's junkyard.

Her father forbade hospitals, so Tara never saw a doctor or nurse. Gashes and concussions, even burns from explosions, were all treated at home with herbalism. The family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent.

Then, lacking any formal education, Tara began to educate herself. She taught herself enough mathematics and grammar to be admitted to Brigham Young University, where she studied history, learning for the first time about important world events like the Holocaust and the civil rights movement. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home.

The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie
Classic Mystery - Amazon has an ebook version of this in Malay so I plan to read this book at some point anyway. It's been translated into a lot of languages.

Master detective Hercule Poirot is summoned to Northern France by Paul Renauld, but upon arriving at Renauld’s home, the police inform Poirot that Renauld had been stabbed in the back with a letter opener and his body had been found in a freshly dug grave next to a golf course. Renauld’s wife claims masked men tied her up and then took her husband away from her, and until then, she had not known her husband had been murdered. A mystery that is seemingly unsolvable, but nothing ever escapes Papa Poirot.
0 x

Mista
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Sorry, I meant to bring up that question earlier. My personal view on that is that I would like to take a break as long as the Super Challenge is on break, and then try to attract some new members when it starts up again in May - and I think your suggestion of Agatha Christie is an excellent one for that purpose.

If there is interest in reading something in the meanwhile, I don't mind doing the organizational stuff. Is anyone else interested in reading a book club book in February?
0 x

marie39
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Postby marie39 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 am

Mista wrote:Sorry, I meant to bring up that question earlier. My personal view on that is that I would like to take a break as long as the Super Challenge is on break, and then try to attract some new members when it starts up again in May - and I think your suggestion of Agatha Christie is an excellent one for that purpose.

If there is interest in reading something in the meanwhile, I don't mind doing the organizational stuff. Is anyone else interested in reading a book club book in February?

I don't mind waiting until the Super Challenge starts back up to resume the book club. That will also give me time to finish Quo Vadis?.
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”