Is everybody angry where you live?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N); FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated); ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet); JAPANESE (against my better judgment - barely A0); LANG BELTA? (Walowda ámolof fo kowl beltalowda); start FINNISH? (maybe ...).

Re: Is everybody angry where you live?

Postby lavengro » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:45 pm

SpanishInput wrote:
sfuqua wrote:I wonder if anything good is coming out of this pandemic.

In my humble opinion:
-There is now more acceptance for "working from home".
-People of all ages have now used online meetings, and haven even been "virtually" to weddings. This helps both the environment and people that would otherwise be isolated.

I think this pandemic has accelerated many beneficial workplace changes that may have occurred anyway over time but which would have been very slow in coming. My workplace was forced in a huge hurry to upgrade to support us working from home and like most places rose to the challenge well, out of necessity. Absent the pandemic, it would have taken years and years to get around to this, mostly through inertia. It has resulted in what I expect to be a permanent shift for many - subject to how management decides to handle things down the road, my guess is the majority of my colleagues will elect not to return physically to the office. The courts (the Federal Court as well as the provincial courts) have massively reoriented court procedure, to the point where remote attendances are now very much the norm rather than a rare exception (it used to be just incarcerated litigants who could attend court remotely via videoconferences, and even then there was usually a glitch in the technology), and these all now run seamlessly, again because everyone had to adapt. I no longer have to fly to various places in the province to conduct various matters, and instead can conduct them remotely. Much of this results in greater efficiency, huge savings in time and expense and (mostly importantly from my perspective, and as noted by Spanish Input) lower impact on the climate.

But to answer sfuqua`s question from my perspective concerning Vancouver, both my subjective impression and conclusions drawn from media reporting of increased aggressiveness (including an increase in physical violence) between people in the municipality comparing the present time to the Before Time, yes, more people seem more angry currently. And way less civil.
6 x
“They lived and laughed and loved and left.”

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Finnish, Polish, Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Hungarian, Swedish, Spanish, Thai.
Dabbling languages: Hindi, Japanese, Georgian, Russian etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:19 am

I live in Washington state and I would not say that everyone is angry, rather there is a sense of being tired of the COVID restrictions and ready to get on with life.
2 x

alaart
Orange Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A1: ES, KR
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 am

In east Germany's Saxony province where I currently live, people have been angry for a long time. Because when German reunificated in the 90s the eastern people where at a disadvantage. Their work, education and achievements were worth less than that of western people, and a lot of work opportunities and jobs moved to the west and disturbed the lives of many. People adapted but when they look back in retrospect they sometimes feel forgotten and a bit frustrated. So there is a big number that is really anti-government, and usually against a wide range of changes, and now in Covid they haven't vaccinated to the degree necessary, resulting in another lock-down like situation. That in turn frustrates the people that are vaccinated, because they feel like they get restricted thanks to the others.

But not everybody is like this, there is still enough smiles and laughs and when people do go out and meet they appreciate it more, because they experienced the value of not having this privilege.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 pm

I spend my time between California (Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County), France (Lille, Paris, and Lyon), and Germany (Frankfurt area).
Everyone seems angry on the news. I personally don't really see people feeling angrier in person.

I do people being more isolated, in search of contact and adjusting.
I personally hear of struggles from friends with depression, isolation, memory, and sedentarism.

YMMV.
3 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

Le Baron
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), NL, Fr, De, Eo, Sranantongo (rusty).
Studying: Es, Indo.

Postby Le Baron » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:58 pm

The Covid situation is just the blue touch paper for what was already there. Things weren't 'good' before Covid hit, we've been limping ever since 2008 and that itself was a massive crack in the facade of 45 years of psychopathic monetarist economics. I've been hammering this for 25 years and it seems to me (as always) that it takes widespread negative effects for everyone to focus and start taking notice.

Practically everyone born around the early-to-middle '80s is oblivious to the idea that things were once different; that you didn't have to expect perma-stagnation, frozen wages, infrastructure collapse, practically abolished public services to the point of personal bankruptcy. That's the real root of public anger, but it is expressed in so many confused ways when people are offered 'reasons' they decide to adopt.

The consolidation of power by that large online retailer is not a good thing. It just speaks to monopoly, social isolation and the breakdown of variety.

I'm like anyone else, I want to retreat into books and language learning and to forget, but I don't think fiddling whilst Rome burns is the answer.
4 x
21 books for 2021: 21 / 21
As jy nie wil glo nie, kan jy proe.

Return to “Travel and Culture”