Risorgimento

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Risorgimento

Postby Raconteur » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 pm

Any history buffs in the house? I'm looking for a book on Italian history, roughly from Risorgimento to present day. Ideally, an accessible overview, covering everything from politics and economy to social and cultural issues.

For those familiar with the US: something along the lines of Bailey's American Pageant or other such title, aimed at AP and undergrads.

Not sure if such a book exists, but I sure hope so! :lol:
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Re: Risorgimento

Postby kanewai » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 pm

It's a bit more than a single book, but Indro Montenelli's Storia d'Italia series is a classic. I've only read his book on ancient Rome, and enjoyed it immensely.
4 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Faust
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Faust » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 am

Raconteur wrote:Any history buffs in the house? I'm looking for a book on Italian history, roughly from Risorgimento to present day. Ideally, an accessible overview, covering everything from politics and economy to social and cultural issues.

For those familiar with the US: something along the lines of Bailey's American Pageant or other such title, aimed at AP and undergrads.

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Italy-Hi ... 33601/ref=

I think this may fit the bill.
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Faust wrote:
Raconteur wrote:Any history buffs in the house? I'm looking for a book on Italian history, roughly from Risorgimento to present day. Ideally, an accessible overview, covering everything from politics and economy to social and cultural issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Italy-Hi ... 33601/ref=

I think this may fit the bill.
Oooh, thank you. I actually had this one in mind, but wasn't sure if it was any good. Have you read it?
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”