Should I learn Danish?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
PepsiGod881
Languages: English (N), Chinese(Moderate), Japanese (Moderate)

Should I learn Danish?

Postby PepsiGod881 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 am

I'm planning on moving to Denmark, and I don't know if I should learn Danish. I'm already learning 2 other languages, and feel like a 3rd would be too much. I want to move to live a simple life by myself, and don't plan on making and relationships or working a public job. Would I be able to "survive" knowing English?
(also; I'm not very good with English, or words in general, so if anything sounds off I'm sorry!)
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Should I learn Danish?

Postby Iversen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:50 am

If you don't intend to make contacts or work, what are you then planning to do? Live here as a tourist or as some kind of freelancer? You can definitely survive on just English in Denmark (and it will be easier than in a number of countries), but it will be a marginalized existence between other expats. Is that what you are hoping for? And you can't just put a tent somewhere and go fishing.
8 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 am

I don’t think you can move to a modern country legally and remain completely isolated. You will have to have contact with various authorities regarding immigration, taxes, etc. And then there are things like banks, medical professionals, hand workers of various types and so on. You can choose not to have any Danish friends, but you can’t be totally isolated. I imagine most of those people would speak at least some English, but if Denmark is anything like Norway, some of them probably speak very little English, so knowing Danish would be very useful. I can’t imagine moving to a country and making no effort to learn the language. It’s one thing to visit for a week or two as a tourist, but living in a country long-term is an entirely different matter.
6 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:50 pm

I try to refrain from telling people what they should do, but I will recommend that you at least attempt to learn some Danish. Yes, you can survive and even manage without Danish. I would imagine that if you were only in the Copenhagen area and only spoke to young people that it could even be easy. But that is a rather limiting experience.

I lived there for several years as an expat. I moved away just three years ago, so my experience is not too outdated. I lived in the northern part (Nordjylland), and I encountered many people in my demographic (mid 40s to mid 50s) who had limited English skills. Even if you are young and think that you will not be interested in talking to older people, those older people might be your hairdresser, doctor or landlord.

My children were in their late teens, and they also met peers who were uncomfortable speaking English. Perhaps these young people possessed good English skills but just felt shy speaking it with native speakers.

I have had many, many conversations in "Danglish." That might not be ideal, but it isn't awful either.
7 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:54 pm

PepsiGod881 wrote:I'm planning on moving to Denmark ... I want to move to live a simple life by myself, and don't plan on making and relationships or working a public job ...
Turning the question around a little, what is it about Denmark that leads you to believe that a "simple life" by yourself is more feasible and enjoyable there than anywhere else on the planet?

Going further, and taking into consideration your moderate knowledge of Japanese, perhaps you would be better off relocating to a small, isolated, Japanese fishing village. The climate would be similar to that of Denmark, you could arrange for a simple lifestyle, the locals would likely be quite reserved and would probably shun you as a foreigner, you would not have to learn a new language from scratch, and you could practice your Japanese through the limited opportunities for conversation. Well, there really wouldn’t be much conversation; rather, just minimal exchanges required to meet your basic needs. Now, some readers might think that I am mocking you by suggesting this alternative. I am not. This is a serious proposal which might better suit your criteria of little-to-no contact with a civilized, peaceful, non-intrusive host society (while still benefiting from its amenities).

EDITED:
Going further.
9 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Why Denmark?
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:56 am

Elsa Maria wrote:I have had many, many conversations in "Danglish." That might not be ideal, but it isn't awful either.

I think I know what you mean in "Danglish", like "Spanglish." By the way, I am good at Portuňolo e Itaňolo.
Very good point you make Elsa Maria. Language and culture. "Wherever you go, there you are." There is you and there are them (no geographical distinction on that). What will change is the language and culture around you; for better or worse: culture shock or adapt & join, then move on.
Language and culture are two sides of an old ancient Roman golden coin (language talking).
0 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 am

PepsiGod881 wrote:I'm planning on moving to Denmark, and I don't know if I should learn Danish. I'm already learning 2 other languages, and feel like a 3rd would be too much. I want to move to live a simple life by myself, and don't plan on making and relationships or working a public job. Would I be able to "survive" knowing English?
(also; I'm not very good with English, or words in general, so if anything sounds off I'm sorry!)

We know this forum is for language learning. Are you moving to learn a new language and culture?
Danish?
Do not answer these questions here, it is just for you to answer.

The sense of community is important for psychological wellbeing. Have you ever lived in a foreign land? There is a culture shock, it is expected at first, I have had that too.

If you have never struggled with clinical depression or severe anxiety, maybe following your heart is the way to go. If you have the resources, check the place as a tourist first, get familiarized with it, visit the place a few times before you take the plunge. I can relate to you if your geographical move is to learn a language and the culture.

If you are not interested in the language and culture for your planned geographical move, it may be worth exploring the psychological factors with the assistance of a train professional psychoterapist, at the end, you may learn a lot about yourself and save lots of money in the process.
I think that most of us need meaningful face to face physical relationships in one way or another. Isolation may not be a psychologically healthy choice.
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”