Spanish against French: the fight to be the second global language

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Re: Spanish against French: the fight to be the second global language

Postby javier_getafe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Otherwise
Cavesa

I know perfectly what you mean. I don't actually learn languages for earn a living, just only for fun, it is my second main hobby.
I enjoy to travel through The Alps every summer by motorbike with friends, going from one camping to another different camping every days. And, indeed, one of the thing that we love the most is to be able to share amazing conversations with frenchmates, italians, germans, austrians or whatever.
As you can imagine, The Alps is full of people from european countries sharing the motorcicle hobby. And, yes, the official language to be able to communicate between us is nor the spanish, neither the french, is the english. However, wouldn't be amazing be able to talk in french or italian? of course, it is :D This is why I want to learn french and, you never know, Italian in a closer future.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Hashimi wrote:I speak Spanish and I can't understand more than 20% of any French conversation.

But I have a passive knowledge of Classical Arabic and I can understand more than 95% of any Arabic conversation, especially the eastern dialects, Egyptian, Libyan, and Tunisian.

As for Moroccan and Algerian, it's more like Scottish English for a speaker of General American, but this does not mean it's a separate language.

Well, it didn't look the same way in the situations I have witnessed in France (interactions including various dialects of Arabic).

I definitely belive you though, you have got the experience I lack. Perhaps you should publish your experience more widely, to fight the myths I seem to have been too affected by. :-) (I mean it, I believe lots of people would be very interested in your experience)

As far as the romance language intelligibility goes, Spanish and French are more distant than Italian or Catalan from both of them. Just like the Arabic dialects (as far as my limited knowledge goes) are not all equally similar or different from each other.

I still think that stuff like that (the real world) affects the results of all such native speaker numbers on websites.

And more importantly, I am convinced that the number of monolingual natives would be more relevant. In Maghreb, quite a large part of the population is bilingual, because a part of their education system speaks French. The Hindi natives are even more bilingual (English). And so on.

javier_getafe wrote:Otherwise
Cavesa

I know perfectly what you mean. I don't actually learn languages for earn a living, just only for fun, it is my second main hobby.
I enjoy to travel through The Alps every summer by motorbike with friends, going from one camping to another different camping every days. And, indeed, one of the thing that we love the most is to be able to share amazing conversations with frenchmates, italians, germans, austrians or whatever.
As you can imagine, The Alps is full of people from european countries sharing the motorcicle hobby. And, yes, the official language to be able to communicate between us is nor the spanish, neither the french, is the english. However, wouldn't be amazing be able to talk in french or italian? of course, it is :D This is why I want to learn french and, you never know, Italian in a closer future.

But the thing is that the number of native speakers is mostly useless even if you are learning for a job!

I am a medicine student in central europe, wanting to move abroad in a few months. My language skills play a huge part in it. And in my situation, even small languages like Swedish, Dutch, or even Basque can play a hundred times more important role than Mandarin. The 850 million natives (if we believe your table) are absolutely unimportant for my future. I would need to change my life and everything too much to actually put the existence of so many natives to any use at all.

And similarly, the total amount of natives is absolutely worthless to most people learning for a career. An american business student learning Mandarin is not learning for the number of natives. They are learning for the huge amount of money the country has and invests and can let you earn. But they could be earning just as much or more, if they found themselves a smaller niche and learned Brazilian Portuguese or Polish (for example) instead. In general, I find it very stupid to do something because everyone does it and because of just one criteria. Going for smaller niches and facing less fierce competition and many unexplored opportunities there is a valid strategy.

Choosing the language for one's career is a complex question. Even if we leave alone the fact that learning just for a job without personal interest is not likely to lead to success (I've seen it more commonly that people genuinely like learning a language and its culture, and as a consequence get a good enough level to get a better job thanks to it). Making a decision affecting your whole future life (as most people just stick to the language or two they have started at school forever and don't bother trying others) based on one single criterion is in my opinion really irresponsible.

Back to the topic of Spanish vs. French: the absolute number of natives is worthless here too. It is about the economies and it is about the culture. Neither of these two can compete with English unfortunately, this problem has spread too far. Nobody has been claiming the opposite. This is not a thread "which of the two can be more important than English".

But when majority of beginning learners asks "should I learn French or Spanish?" (and I believe it is one of the five most common questions on the language learning internet), the total number of natives and French being so much lower on your two lists is simply not too important.
5 x

romeo.alpha
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (native), Swiss German (native), High German, French, Dutch (heritage)
Learning: Greek, Japanese, Egyptian Arabic

Postby romeo.alpha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am

A couple things in favour of French: It is, along with English, the only global language with more L2 speakers than L1 speakers (Swahili is proportionally much higher, Literary Arabic has only L2 speakers, and Hindi and Bahasa Indonesia also are primarily L2 languages, and Thai has more L2 speakers, but none are global). So it is already the second choice for a second or foreign language. French also has around 3 times as many L2 speakers as Spanish.

So outside a Spanish speaking country, just anywhere else in the world you're much more likely to encounter a French speaker than a Spanish speaker, and people who learn other languages to be able to communicate, and travel, are the type of people you're more likely to encounter. The hundreds of millions of native speakers of any given language are people you're never going to meet anyway.

With everyone learning English as their first foreign language, French is the only language that has some inertia behind it as well. By the time Spanish speaking countries reach the kind of relevance that would be necessary for Spanish to take over, most of them will already speak English. Same goes for Mandarin, the PRC is already looking to make sure most Chinese are proficient in English.

The main advantage Spanish has is that it's easier, factoring everything in, for English speakers to learn than French. So the people who have no need for a second language might choose Spanish over French just for hobby purposes. But you'd need at least a third of English speakers learning Spanish just to catch up with French as a global lingua franca. And since they don't actually need to, even that third probably won't do it.
0 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Here in Croatia, Spanish is seen as a language of telenovelas (competing with Turkish) and is never taken seriously.
Young girls pick up basic Spanish by watching Mexican telenovelas.
It is offered in very few high schools, and when it is offered, it is never a compulsory subject,
but more of a 4th of a 5th language option (after English, German, French or Italian).
Very few people can live on Spanish. French is in higher demand, when it comes to teaching, translating or economy (export/import/tourism).
Furthermore, France is admired by Croatians as the only Mediterranean country that is affluent.
1 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)

Postby javier_getafe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

Here in Spain, english is seen as the only possible option as a second lenguage.
Rest of the languages are not seen seriusly, at least if you want to have a chance
in the job market. If you like to study a 3th option you can study french, but the
percentage of people that select this option is minimum nowaday.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 pm

FyrsteSumarenINoreg wrote:Furthermore, France is admired by Croatians as the only Mediterranean country that is affluent.
I'm surprised France is considered to be markedly richer than Italy, Israel or Spain.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:48 pm

FyrsteSumarenINoreg wrote: Furthermore, France is admired by Croatians as the only Mediterranean country that is affluent.

DaveAgain wrote:I'm surprised France is considered to be markedly richer than Italy, Israel or Spain.

GDP per Capita: World Fact Book

Monaco: $115,700
Gibraltar: $61,700
France: $43,800
Malta: $42,000
Spain: $38,300
Italy: $38,100
Cyprus: $37,000
Israel: $36,300
Portugal: $30,400
Greece: $27,700
Turkey: $26,900
Algeria: $15,200
Lebanon: $14,400
Egypt: $12,700
Tunisia: $11,800
Libya: $10,000
Morocco: $8,600
1 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:20 am

There is no "fight". Both are romance languages and Spanish is not considered as an "enemy" in France. This is the second foreign language teached at school (37% L2) in France after English. Mostly seen as easy, great holidays language and with a "vamos a la playa" spirit. Seen as a great language to travel to South America too.
2 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt

Postby javier_getafe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am

Jean-Luc wrote:There is no "fight". Both are romance languages and Spanish is not considered as an "enemy" in France. This is the second foreign language teached at school (37% L2) in France after English. Mostly seen as easy, great holidays language and with a "vamos a la playa" spirit. Seen as a great language to travel to South America too.

Of course there is not "fight". France is highly well considered in Spain. Incredible country to visit, amazing castles, mountains, cities and people.
And in fact we both share the fantastic Pirinees, with stunning places to visit in both sides.

J'aime la france.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I think fight is just fighting for second place, aka the silver medal. Nobody means actual fighting the title would have been better using the word competition rather than fight. :D

Interesting that Gibraltar is so much higher in GDP per person than Spain.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Travel and Culture”