wavesurfer -- JavaScript audio with wave visualisation

Small area for language related software developers. If you have a feature request please put in the appropriate place. This area is for developers of language software and forum software development only.
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

wavesurfer -- JavaScript audio with wave visualisation

Postby Cainntear » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi, I'm working on a wee project I think many of you will find useful (more to follow in a few days when I have my prototype up and running) but I thought I'd share a link to a nice little Javascript module I'm using to build this on: wavesurfer.js.

Its main selling point is the on-screen waveform visualisation options, which lets you seek quickly through a file (handy for language stuff), but I think I'll be using it a lot even when I don't need the visualisation, because it gives you a lot more control over playback than the bog-standard HTML5 AUDIO object controls (e.g. you can play just a short section of a file by calling your_object_name_here.play(start_time,end_time), and I'm still baffled as to why that didn't make it into the HTML5 spec). (Sadly, the library suffers memory leaks that haven't been debugged yet, so caveat emptor.)

Hope this is useful to some of you!
3 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Re: wavesurfer -- JavaScript audio with wave visualisation

Postby mcthulhu » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:54 am

Thank you for the recommendation. I've just incorporated wavesurfer.js into Jorkens, to play audio books while reading the text, and it seems to work pretty well (though I'm sure I'll be doing some tweaking). What was the project that you were using it for?
0 x

Return to “Development Area”