Reading short stories challenge 2020

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Reading short stories challenge 2020

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Congrats on finishing the challenge!
Have you tried the tadoku and 6wc by the way? :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

FairyGarden
White Belt
Languages: Fluent: English, Spanish, Catalan
French (B1)
Japanese (beginner)

Postby FairyGarden » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:49 am

Good idea, I'm joining for 2020!

Language & level: Japanese. Because I'm still at an A1-2, my stories will be much simpler than what others seem to be reading! I will mostly be reading kid's stories.

Goal: My goal is 30 stories/year

Books I plan to read: I plan to read some of the stories on storyweaver.org. It's a good free website with lots of beginner stories. I plan to read at least x5 Level 1 stories, x5 Level 2 stories and x5 Level 3 stories. Plus, x5 stories from "Japanese Graded Readers" books and Kaguya-hime and Kintaro. That makes 22 in total, we'll see as we go along what else I can read.

I will also be reading other things beyond stories, so I'm adding here my goal to read at least x5 travel blogs and x5 easy news articles, which will both cover some kanji practice too.
1 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Signing up!

Languages: see below for the list
Level : mostly low
Goal: 30?

Reading list:

Hungarian : “Az Usher-ház vége” (The fall of the house of Usher)

Chinese: “Real stories” (Ilya Frank's method). 10 « real stories » will count as 1 story

Arabic : “1001 nights” (Ilya Frank's method). 2 “nights” will count as 1 story

Ancient Greek: “Aesop’s Fables” (Ilya Frank's method). 40 fables will count as 1 story

Hindi”: “Tales” (Ilya Frank's method). 2 tales will count as 1 story

Turkish: “Nasreddin Hoca”. 15 short tales will count as 1 story

German: “Brief einer Unbekannten”

Finnish: “Muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti”
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 am

I'm starting to understand the challenge hosts who are protective of their original ideas :mrgreen:
The goal was mostly to keep slowly but surely going through collections of stories (or just individual stories published online or in literary journals). It's fine if your "story" for the week is just 1 page long. You can read more without counting them :)

I'm afraid poetry and entire novels over 50-60 pages are definitely excluded :oops: And the idea was to count fiction only, and only pieces that work as standalone (not chapters). (I mostly started the challenge because there are many places where you can tick off entire books, but nothing I'm aware of for completing shorter units)

But if you want we can totally have different kinds of short units, suggestions are welcome. Also, feel free to share your progress regardless of whether the stuff you've been reading fits my original idea. :)
1 x
Corrections welcome

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:57 am

Serpent wrote:Congrats on finishing the challenge!
Have you tried the tadoku and 6wc by the way? :)

I did the 6wc when I was just starting out, but I find keeping track of what I did and for how long very annoying. I also don't like having to go to Twitter for it. I've never done tadoku since finding suitable extensive reading material in Korean is a bit difficult. I only read intensively unfortunately. Were I learning a European language reading extensively would probably be more than fine at my level, but since Korean has no cognates figuring out what's going on can be really difficult :lol: I think I need to add a lot more words to my repertoire before I will be able to read interesting stories extensively in Korean *cry*

Also, when I wrote down my new reading material I kinda forgot about the fiction part and only kept thinking about it having to be short haha. But if we're sticking to short fiction then I only have those 5 kids' books and comics I can read. I wouldn't know where to get more easy fiction and tbh, I don't think I should since I've got a whole list of other things I want to read this year :)
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...

Postby Anya » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 pm

Here is my updated reading list (I've deleted one item looking like "chapters" and another one for too short units):

Reading list:

Chinese: “Real stories” (Ilya Frank's method).

Hindi: “Tales” (Ilya Frank's method).

Turkish: “Nasreddin Hoca”.

Finnish: “Muumipeikko ja pyrstötähti”
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Christi wrote:I did the 6wc when I was just starting out, but I find keeping track of what I did and for how long very annoying. I also don't like having to go to Twitter for it. I've never done tadoku since finding suitable extensive reading material in Korean is a bit difficult. I only read intensively unfortunately. Were I learning a European language reading extensively would probably be more than fine at my level, but since Korean has no cognates figuring out what's going on can be really difficult :lol: I think I need to add a lot more words to my repertoire before I will be able to read interesting stories extensively in Korean *cry*
Tadoku allows intensive reading :) You'll just have a lower score than those who are able to read 50 pages a day (though they don't necessarily find the time every day)
I wouldn't know where to get more easy fiction and tbh, I don't think I should since I've got a whole list of other things I want to read this year :)
Haha yeah, reading a longer piece of fiction is often easier than a collection of unrelated short stories... I've mostly stopped buying new collections but I still have way too many :lol:
I don't think I've explicitly mentioned anything about fiction before tbh, I just assumed this was what people would be reading. Do the kids' books have any actual characters? Like a kid who's asking questions, an adult explaining things? If they do I think it's fine to count them :) The characters don't have to be very prominent

@Anya I mostly meant the moomins tbh. It's awesome that you'll be reading them ;) but it's a long book with chapters. (But I really want to hear about your progress, whether here or in another thread :D)
I tried to look up how many pages 1001 nights has and now I want to read some of it :lol: As far as I can tell the individual framed stories can definitely count :)
0 x
Corrections welcome

Anya
Orange Belt

Postby Anya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Indeed, the moomins are too long for a short stories, I'll find another place for them…so there is a new updated list!

Arabic : “1001 nights” (Ilya Frank's method).

Chinese: “Real stories” (Ilya Frank's method).

Hindi: “Tales” (Ilya Frank's method).

Turkish: “Nasreddin Hoca”.

1 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:50 pm

Have changed my reading list. It only contains comics and real books now :P
And I remembered that I've ordered a reader containing real short stories too. It should arrive around March and apparently contains stories of different genres 8-)
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:12 am

Rules clarification:
-A week can start on Monday or Sunday (as long as you're consistent about this). Preferably the same system you use in your daily life but that's up to you.
-It's okay if you finish your story within a few hours after midnight (on Monday/Sunday). Try to begin it before midnight though.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Challenges”