The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:17 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm dropping out of this challenge. Not because I haven't been able to do it, but simply because other studies suffer because I have to do Mandarin. Previously I was rotating between 5 studies doing 20 minutes each. Some days I only managed to do 2-3 study periods, but I could even it up over the next couple of days. But being forced to always keep one in the rotation permanently doesn't give me the flexibility to keep things going more or less consistently with the others. Plus the extra 10 minutes sucks away half the time which could have been used on something else. So, I'm dropping out with a score of 5.

Good luck everyone.

It's a shame to see you go rdearman, but perfectly understandable. Good luck with your studies too!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Spoonary wrote:Well, I failed. I didn't do any studying on Saturday because I just didn't want to. :? According to the rules, I guess that takes me from a streak of 4 to -3 (after subtracting 7 points). For now I am going to continue, but I can see myself having other days like yesterday where I just don't feel like doing anything...

Well, this makes sense. If you foresee you continuing to have days off Spoonary, then perhaps see how you go with the challenge and if you still remain more consistent than what you would've without the challenge, then perhaps it is still worthwhile to you even if you end up with a dismal score in the end.
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try), Deutsch (Beg), Ελληνικά (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9858

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Spoonary wrote:Well, I failed. I didn't do any studying on Saturday because I just didn't want to. :? According to the rules, I guess that takes me from a streak of 4 to -3 (after subtracting 7 points). For now I am going to continue, but I can see myself having other days like yesterday where I just don't feel like doing anything...

Well, this makes sense. If you foresee you continuing to have days off Spoonary, then perhaps see how you go with the challenge and if you still remain more consistent than what you would've without the challenge, then perhaps it is still worthwhile to you even if you end up with a dismal score in the end.

Yeah, exactly. I think if I have many more days off I will just give up the challenge, but for now I think I'm ok :)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Spoonary wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Yeah, exactly. I think if I have many more days off I will just give up the challenge, but for now I think I'm ok :)

Well, good luck all the same. I do hope you do well, but don't stress if you need to drop out. It's not failing, it's just a change of plan and the challenge in that case may not suit you. Either way, hang in there, you're still learning, all is well. As rdearman has illustrated it may be that this challenge just isn't suited to some people - the way they study and prefer to have days off, or the amount of time required doesn't work for them.
2 x

Fenderman
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2).

Postby Fenderman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:03 am

The first week is finished and I’m fairly happy with my results so far since I averaged an hour and fifteen minutes of studying per day. If I can keep near that average for the rest of year I finally might start getting in the B1- B2 range that I’ve lacked consistency to achieve in the past.

One week down and 51 to go!
5 x

lingua
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying italiano (B1/B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9868

Postby lingua » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:44 am

tomgosse wrote:
tomgosse wrote:Finished day 7 out of 365. Only 358 to go! Yeah!

Same here. Averaging 104 minutes a day although today isn't complete yet.

For traveling, I'd suggest reading or listening to podcasts or audiobooks. I assume some podcasts are downloadable to a mobile device. I plan to read for my 30 minutes a day during vacation.
2 x
Italian Output Challenge: wrote: 3803 / 50000 recorded: 5 / 50
Italian double SC: watched: 115 / 200 read: 90 / 200
Read 100 Italian books: 26 / 100

coldrainwater
Green Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 am

I am also happy with my results after week one and feel being a part of the challenge is helping me to broaden my resource base for the new year. For those of you concerned about missed days or travel and looking for suggestions, I can share what has worked well for me in 2018. Due to how our vacation policy is structured at work, I took quite a bit of travel time off in Q4 of 2018. To the best of my recollection, I didn't miss any study days since I use listening practice for study. I have a pair of bluetooth headphones (Mpow 059) that I hook up to my smartphone and keep the headphones with me almost all the time, preloading audio-only resources, normally podcasts and audiobooks, so that I do not run out of content. I also have books and video content loaded separately but consider them secondary when crunch time hits. Some of my audio resources are definitely highly resilient to both distraction and widely varied life circumstance (for example super-long work hours, anxiety, depression, stress, etc), which is what ensures study time will happen.
3 x

Chupito
Yellow Belt
Languages: French* and English
Learning: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9658

Postby Chupito » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 am

Adrianslont wrote:If you develop a game plan for travelling, I’d love to hear about it. I’m worried about next month when I will be travelling - I’ll be travelling with friends so it will be harder to find time.

I don't participate in the challenge, but I am starting a new job this year with a long commute. My game plan is to bring my listening skills up to where I can comfortably listen to native audio (podcasts and audiobooks) during my commute, without needing visual support or help as I currently do. This would work well for a trip as well, since there's always some kind of downtime while getting from one place to another, waiting in line or at the end of the day to listen to something or perhaps even read a bit. Of course, it's not as easy when travelling with people, as putting in your headphones is closing you to conversation but you should still have at least half an hour a day when you aren't interacting with others.
2 x
Corrections welcome in any language.

Day 102 of learning:
Duolingo level 1: 81 / 115 Bitácora 1: 4 / 11
Double super challenge listening only: 47 / 200 Fullmetal alchemist: 117 / 120

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 am

Chupito wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:If you develop a game plan for travelling, I’d love to hear about it. I’m worried about next month when I will be travelling - I’ll be travelling with friends so it will be harder to find time.

I don't participate in the challenge, but I am starting a new job this year with a long commute. My game plan is to bring my listening skills up to where I can comfortably listen to native audio (podcasts and audiobooks) during my commute, without needing visual support or help as I currently do. This would work well for a trip as well, since there's always some kind of downtime while getting from one place to another, waiting in line or at the end of the day to listen to something or perhaps even read a bit. Of course, it's not as easy when travelling with people, as putting in your headphones is closing you to conversation but you should still have at least half an hour a day when you aren't interacting with others.

Thanks Chupito and Coldrainwater. I probably shouldn’t fret - it’s just that I anticipate a busy holiday. Apart from when travelling I see this challenge being very doable - really I have signed on to make sure that I give BOTH my TLs sufficient attention. Sometimes I can neglect one or the other.

Bluetooth headphones and plenty of audio resources are a big part of my approach at all times. And more recently a loaded kindle. I guess I just need to take care to have a big bunch of appetising stuff loaded before I go so that “study” appeals even when tired.

Cheers
2 x

jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Italian (intermediate), Mandarin (beginner), Egyptian Arabic (beginner).

Postby jacquemarie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

haven't posted in this thread yet since saying i'm joining;

so far have averaged 30-40 min a day with my french. I have moved away from Duolingo and have been focusing more on lingvist, memrise, and flash academy. today I did two lessons with coffee break french.

For personal goals, I have already failed; I wanted to make a video of me speaking French every day this year and I haven't for two reasons: 1) because I am not confident in my speaking ability and 2) I live with my parents and would feel weird doing it with them in the house. Now, there are plenty of times I'm alone in the house so this is a terrible excuse.

The other goal was to have a french lesson on the 1st week and 3rd week of the month and i have yet to find a tutor. this is mostly due to $$ constraints so hopefully when I get paid Friday I use my money for a tutor!
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”