The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm dropping out of this challenge. Not because I haven't been able to do it, but simply because other studies suffer because I have to do Mandarin. Previously I was rotating between 5 studies doing 20 minutes each. Some days I only managed to do 2-3 study periods, but I could even it up over the next couple of days. But being forced to always keep one in the rotation permanently doesn't give me the flexibility to keep things going more or less consistently with the others. Plus the extra 10 minutes sucks away half the time which could have been used on something else. So, I'm dropping out with a score of 5.

Good luck everyone.
8 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try), Deutsch (Beg), Ελληνικά (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9858

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Well, I failed. I didn't do any studying on Saturday because I just didn't want to. :? According to the rules, I guess that takes me from a streak of 4 to -3 (after subtracting 7 points). For now I am going to continue, but I can see myself having other days like yesterday where I just don't feel like doing anything...
2 x

ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)

Postby ロータス » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Spoonary wrote:Well, I failed. I didn't do any studying on Saturday because I just didn't want to. :? According to the rules, I guess that takes me from a streak of 4 to -3 (after subtracting 7 points). For now I am going to continue, but I can see myself having other days like yesterday where I just don't feel like doing anything...

Would you had still done nothing if you knew your score would go down -20?
0 x
Reading in one language | Learn by Reading
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try), Deutsch (Beg), Ελληνικά (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9858

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 pm

ロータス wrote:
Spoonary wrote:Well, I failed. I didn't do any studying on Saturday because I just didn't want to. :? According to the rules, I guess that takes me from a streak of 4 to -3 (after subtracting 7 points). For now I am going to continue, but I can see myself having other days like yesterday where I just don't feel like doing anything...

Would you had still done nothing if you knew your score would go down -20?

Yeah probably. I reckon my happiness is more important than an online language challenge :P
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:56 pm

tomgosse wrote:Please add me to the list. I will be starting French on 1 jan 2019.

All the best,
Tom

EDIT:
I will be using French Demystified as my main text. I will also use this YouTube Channel, and Pimsleur French.

Finished day 7 out of 365. Only 358 to go! Yeah!
6 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).

Postby Xenops » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Good to see you online again, tomgosse. :D

I will do 1x on Japanese starting today.
1 x

CarlyD
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--on hold (A2), German--now studying (A1)
Bucket List: Russian, Slovene

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:04 pm

tomgosse wrote:
tomgosse wrote:Please add me to the list. I will be starting French on 1 jan 2019.

All the best,
Tom

EDIT:
I will be using French Demystified as my main text. I will also use this YouTube Channel, and Pimsleur French.

Finished day 7 out of 365. Only 358 to go! Yeah!

Have you looked at the Step-by-Step series? I have the Demystified books for both Spanish and German, and for both of them the Spanish and German Step-by-Step books are much nicer, with clearer explanations and more exercises.
1 x

kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, German
Inactive: Turkish, Indonesian, Pááfang
Very Inactive: :Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby kanewai » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Has it only been seven days? This is definitely going to be more of a challenge than I thought. Still on track for Spanish and German. Early impressions:

- Thirty minutes is a lot longer than I realized. Usually my goals are along the lines of "read the next chapter" or "do another lesson." Those might take me an hour, but that includes lots of breaks to feed the cat, grab a drink, let the cat outside, play a video game on my phone, let the cat back inside, etc. For this challenge I've been setting the timer for 30 minutes and trying to study without a break. And ignoring the dang cat.

- I've had a tendency in recent years to rush through Assimil lessons. I took the 'passive' wave a bit too far. It's been super useful to actually work on each lesson slowly & stretch it out over thirty minutes. I re-listen to it more, I write out the answers to the exercises and do them over if I make a mistake ... it's the way I originally did Assimil, and now I remember why this course is so useful.

- I still don't have a game plan for when I travel.
9 x
Santiago Posteguillo. Yo Julia: 490 / 750
Alexandre Dumas, Vingt ans après: 420 / 1000
Massimo Montanari. La fame e l abbondanza: 90 / 260
Living Lang. Arabic: 05 / 30
Assimil German: 42 / 100

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 pm

kanewai wrote:Has it only been seven days? This is definitely going to be more of a challenge than I thought. Still on track for Spanish and German. Early impressions:

- Thirty minutes is a lot longer than I realized. Usually my goals are along the lines of "read the next chapter" or "do another lesson." Those might take me an hour, but that includes lots of breaks to feed the cat, grab a drink, let the cat outside, play a video game on my phone, let the cat back inside, etc. For this challenge I've been setting the timer for 30 minutes and trying to study without a break. And ignoring the dang cat.

- I've had a tendency in recent years to rush through Assimil lessons. I took the 'passive' wave a bit too far. It's been super useful to actually work on each lesson slowly & stretch it out over thirty minutes. I re-listen to it more, I write out the answers to the exercises and do them over if I make a mistake ... it's the way I originally did Assimil, and now I remember why this course is so useful.

- I still don't have a game plan for when I travel.

The thirty minute timer and the more carefull completion of your Assimil lessons is an interesting and positive side effect. It will be interesting to see how much benefit that brings you over time.

I’m really good at ignoring my cat.

If you develop a game plan for travelling, I’d love to hear about it. I’m worried about next month when I will be travelling - I’ll be travelling with friends so it will be harder to find time.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Over the last 3 days my family and I have been moving out of our house.

Day 1 (of the move)- putting everything in every room into boxes and placing them in the lounge room and garage to be sent off in different directions. I had not slept well the night before, planned to get up early to do my 90 minutes of study (30min x 3 languages). That didn't happen. I tried to put my headphones in and listen to an audio book but the kids would come and talk to me, so I thought, that won't work. The evening arrived after a day of hard work and I was sooooo tired. I was thinking of not studying, but I didn't- I did study! I got through all 3 x 30min and got to sleep around 1 am (during my French 30 min I was nodding off occasionally, so had to extend it slight to allow for the loss of focus).

Day 2 of the move - all the boxes begin to be shipped out (some to storage), the house gets cleaned, the trailer gets full and two cars (all this while constantly battling with 2 children - don't touch that, don't do that, don't eat that, stop that, don't hit your brother, and so on). I was wise on day 2 - 30 min Arabic on the drive to my in laws where we're staying for the week (we've managed to cut back our time there as we'll be house-sitting elsewhere after one week), 30 minutes French reading to my daughter before bed - I asked my wife that I be the one reading to the children on that evening as I couldn't foresee me studying any other way that day. 30 minutes of silent Dutch study on my phone as the ipad was flat and my books somewhere too hard to get to. Like French the night before, I was nodding off but even worse this time, so I extended by somewhere between 5 and 10 min.

Day 3 of the move (yesterday). I was on the road more as I had to do two trips between our house in the in-laws (trailer and car full of things). Driving a little slower than usual to ensure I got 30 minutes of language learning done in each direction. Managed to tick off all three and a little extra for Dutch at the end. But boy, I under-estimated the day. I thought we'd get through it in reasonable time. I didn't get home with a tightly packed trailer and full car load until 10pm and I had work at 7.30 am the next day, for which I was now not 25 min away from, but now an hour.

So, it's quiet for a little, I'm at work and I'm so glad I made it through the last three days. Today and for the coming week, as we run things to the rubbish dump, our storage, and other locations I'll still have to plan carefully, but at least on work days, now I have an hour of travel each way, so no stress getting study done once I get to our new temporary home, as there'll be very little time.

If I can do that, you can too! (if you want to, and if you're actually me, that is you have blatantly stolen my body and my mind and as I type this I'm not even really me, i'm you and you're trying to steal all the credit while pretending to be me! - you see what moving does!). No lost days for me.... yet!
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”