The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:... I’m likely to be away from the forum for good stretches of time later this year. ...

You seem to planning to do the scoring manually? Can I say with both admiration and a side-eye ... that's nuts! Good luck!

I am not an IT person, I personally have no other options. Willing for others to step in here. I'm really extremely busy most of the time, like most people here, and I keep asking for help, so it's more than welcome. However if no-one steps in, expect it to be a little clunky, old-fashioned, if you will, and potentially completely in limbo for periods of time (I'm not the ideal person for the job, i'm just the one who set up what others also had in mind). Of course zenmonkey, i'm not aiming this response personally at you.

I get it. I'd love to help but I'm currently over-stretched and can't reasonably take on tasks. I'll *think* about it. :?
Too many projects... I've promised not to take anything on that isn't covering the bills...

If someone does decide to do it, the code is there for a twitterbot and I can point people in the right direction...

Cool, I understand. There is another possibility too, if back in the newly created scoring thread: The 2019 365 Day Challenge - SCORING everyone posts their scoring themselves and as they do so, they quote or copy the leaderboard list as it stood with the previous person’s post immediately before them who has done the same (added themselves to the leaderboard where they fit in the overall standings with their score at the end of the month and their total score). With each post the leaderboard would grow, and it would just be one post per participant at the end of each month. This would make it a more joint operation and save me the hassle of chasing 50+ scores each month. I guess it could even remain in this thread then to keep it altogether.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:22 am

I hereby withdraw from Dutch and Arabic. French remains ;)
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 am

Some points in the rules have been added, they are not changes to the fundamentals of the rules, just on how and where to announce your score at the end of each month. If you don’t do so, you’ll remain in the competition, you’ll just not appear on any leaderboard until you reappar. For the benefit of others, it’s encouraged you do update your score after the actual end of each month (the actual month, even if it’s not been a full month for you because of later start date). See below.

Requirements for competitors in this or other threads :

3. It is encouraged that you announce when you fail to study here in the The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - SCORING thread and deduct the days accordingly (see 'penalties').

4. If you wish to withdraw (at any time), please announce it in this thread or the scoring thread: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - SCORING

5. A monthly update of contenders and their 'scores' can be found in this thread: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - SCORING to keep track of scoring.

6. At the end of each month each person should announce their score for the month and their overall score (so keep track of your own scoring!) in the thread above in point 5. The first person to do so should be quoted by the second person, so that the second person’s score is listed with the first (and placed in the correct position, so it works as a leaderboard), the third person quotes the first two and adds themself and their scores, the fourth the first three and adds themself and their scores, and so on.

I hope it makes sense (forgive me for any typos, I’m too busy thinking about how many French courses I can complete in a year!)

Edit: "quote" = copy and paste (see brief discussion below, tnx aravinda)
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:44 am

Peter, thanks again for taking the time to create and maintain this Challenge.
PeterMollenburg wrote:6. At the end of each month each person should announce their score for the month and their overall score (so keep track of your own scoring!) in the thread above in point 5. The first person to do so should be quoted by the second person, so that the second person’s score is listed with the first (and placed in the correct position, so it works as a leaderboard), the third person quotes the first two and adds themself and their scores, the fourth the first three and adds themself and their scores, and so on.
I think, all the participants announcing their scores each month is a good idea but I'm not so sure about everyone quoting the person before them. After a while, it might look really ugly with quotes within quotes. Can't we just copy and paste the previous post with our scores?
And good luck with your French courses! I have most of the courses you mention (and some others) and your frequent mentioning of them here makes me want to dig them up (from the boxes) and study French instead of German. :?
EDIT: Maybe you just meant copying the scores from the preceding posts when you said "quote".
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 am

aravinda wrote:Peter, thanks again for taking the time to create and maintain this Challenge.
PeterMollenburg wrote:6. At the end of each month each person should announce their score for the month and their overall score (so keep track of your own scoring!) in the thread above in point 5. The first person to do so should be quoted by the second person, so that the second person’s score is listed with the first (and placed in the correct position, so it works as a leaderboard), the third person quotes the first two and adds themself and their scores, the fourth the first three and adds themself and their scores, and so on.
I think, all the participants announcing their scores each month is a good idea but I'm not so sure about everyone quoting the person before them. After a while, it might look really ugly with quotes within quotes. Can't we just copy and paste the previous post with our scores?
And good luck with your French courses! I have most of the courses you mention (and some others) and your frequent mentioning of them here makes me want to dig them up (from the boxes) and study French instead of German. :?
EDIT: Maybe you just meant copying the scores from the preceding posts when you said "quote".

Yeah copy and paste is better, will amend :)
1 x

WEGOOGIN
Languages: Middle Egyptian (A2), English (C2), Russian (C2), Azerbaijani (C2), Turkish (C2), Hebrew (A1), Arabic (A1), German (B1), French (B1), Korean (C2), Japanese (C2), Latin (A1)

Postby WEGOOGIN » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:29 am

I must learn Italian at the business conversation level from zero. I will need to be able to interpret back and forth in Italian and Korean languages ( I am living in Korea and am working at a Korean company where everyone speaks Korean only).

I do not have 365 days, so I am going to go with Langenscheidt's Italian in 30 days or Assimil Italien _> Italien Perfectement

Any advises about the books from those who learnt Italian?
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Still on track here for Spanish and German, but it's getting harder and harder to find time for German. I'll miss the first check-in at the end of the month (I'll be overseas), but will be able to report my score when I get back.
3 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Ah, this challenge is similar to what I've been doing since the (non-Chinese) New Year and I've been pretty successful so far :)
So count me in with Mandarin Chinese from 1 January.
2 x
Future me already did it.

trui
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Good enough: Dutch
Not there yet: German
Just starting: French
We'll see?: Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby trui » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:04 am

Dutch for me starting from today (20th of January). I'm studying for an exam about Dutch in Dutch, so getting at least 30 minutes in today was easy, haha.
2 x
All comments and corrections welcome.

MaryP
Languages: English (N), Spanish (highly proficient), Italian (back to square one), French (dormant), Arabic (dormant), etc.

Postby MaryP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:52 am

Hello! I just found this forum and joined immediately. What an exciting discovery - a place where people can discuss openly their passion for language learning tools, the quests, and the interesting differences. I love my Stroll distribution of Pimsleur Approach Italian - Gold, copyright 2004. Okay, I have found my tribe!

Thirty-three years ago, one of my undergraduate majors was Spanish, and I continue to read, write, speak, and listen in that language.
At the moment, I am reviving Italian learned in 2012 and then allowed to atrophy.
I have studied Arabic, Russian, and French - all pretty dormant for now. I have dabbled in several other languages.

I want to sign up for Generic x1, I'll be studying Italian (I already have a tutor) and Spanish (Castilian, and other forms), and I'll probably include a smattering of French, Arabic, Catalan, and the language of the Andalusian Jewish diaspora in North Africa. I had started hardcore on Italian this year on my own, and began using a tracker app 'Wunderlist", so I request my official start date to be 13 January 2019.

Thank you!
6 x
Mary

Return to “Language Challenges”