6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2018

Postby reineke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Christi wrote:I just checked my stats and noticed some of my tweets haven't been processed. They do appear on my timeline. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I had that problem with one tweet. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with it, but it never showed up in my stats. It could be a good idea to check regularly that everything goes through.
0 x

Sahmilat
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Sahmilat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:04 am

I have had a bit of a false start with Italian a few months ago so I think i'll take this opportunity to focus more on that. I'm starting with Language Transfer's intro to Italian audio course, then I'll probably move on to either Assimil or Teach Yourself.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 am

Dropping out
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 pm

One block of quotations is enough.
Last edited by reineke on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 pm

reineke wrote:
Christi wrote:I just checked my stats and noticed some of my tweets haven't been processed. They do appear on my timeline. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Bot to Christi

"Sorry, right now I can only score one language per tweet. Please submit your times separately for each language."

Also, avoid posting identical times as it may be picked up a spam.

Yeah, that was just that one tweet, but it has happened to several tweets, even if I don't send multiple tweets or identical ones. It's quite annoying..
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Long reply part I

reineke wrote:
reineke wrote:I have registered as well. Last year I registered with Spanish. I got real good at watching cartoons.

reineke wrote:I am mostly watching cartoons at night. Mostly.

reineke wrote:
While no one apparently noticed, I unregistered from both the SC and here as well. I reregistered here to try to focus more on a single language. I've "competed" with people who were reporting progress in Cat V languages in 10-hour increments. The challenge was also advertised on Reddit and elsewhere without any specific instructions.

TV is allowed as long as one is paying attention.

If you want to make the challenge about intensive study at A1-B1 level label it as such, disallow any tweets that report more than 90 minutes per study session and require that each intensive activity be labeled with a second hashtag. The second column could be reserved for extensive activities.

I am aware of the rules and I remember our prior discussions. I have also mentioned in the past that I always round things down, never up. I apply a further discount to the value I report for the day/part of the day.

Long reply part II
reineke wrote:
Serpent wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:Also, there's no rule about the challenge having to involve what you call "actual study". Have you ever spent hours watching or listening in a B1- language? it's hard :roll:

Indeed activities don't have to be traditional study activities. But whether they are hard or not is irrelevant as well.
I didn't mean it's a hard activity, I meant it's hard to keep going. It's exhausting.

smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:I didn't mean it's a hard activity, I meant it's hard to keep going. It's exhausting.

No idea what difference that makes. Whether an activity is exhausting is also irrelevant.

smallwhite wrote:
reineke wrote:
I am aware of the rules and I remember our prior discussions. I have also mentioned in the past that I always round things down, never up. I apply a further discount to the value I report for the day/part of the day.

I remember asking, too; that's why I said you seldom answer me. So was that 7 hours at 100% attention or, say, 14 hours at 50% attention?

If I see someone dumping 10+ hours in say, Japanese, I may discount very little. You need to knock it off with this accountant nonsense. I don't count any background listening. I had Spanish on most of the afternoon but I will count it only as about 40 minutes.
I also see some contradictions and lack of objective thinking in these discussions. I missed out on a couple of challenges already. Once you figure this out together with whoever is in charge, please let everyone know.

For what I tried to phrase as a simple yes or no, A or B question. Now I'm even sent off to accomplish some task first. I wonder why. Other members have openly and comfortably described how they count their time. I know I have.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Serpent wrote:I didn't mean it's a hard activity, I meant it's hard to keep going. It's exhausting.

No idea what difference that makes. Whether an activity is exhausting is also irrelevant.
I missed that. The challenge is limited to "lower intermediate" in your TL based on the premise that an advanced learner can just watch films etc. This doesn't really take into account false beginners or those who do input from day 1.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 am

Serpent wrote:
smallwhite wrote:

I missed that. The challenge is limited to "lower intermediate" in your TL based on the premise that an advanced learner can just watch films etc. This doesn't really take into account false beginners or those who do input from day 1.

Still no idea what you're trying to say. Are you trying to correct something I said? What is it?

Instructions from the 6wc website:

> You can do any activity - studying textbooks, doing Anki, Listening-Reading, even watching movies in your target language. However, please consider whether you are focussing on the language. If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus (e. g. ironing while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostly focus on the native-language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language. For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 pm

How is everyone doing so far? I'm embarrassed to admit that my Greek time has been pathetic -- not even an hour each day, and some days much less. I wish I could have counted all the hours I spent searching for Greek resources! :lol: But I have been working on Greek a little bit every day so that is good.
5 x

Return to “Language Challenges”