6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2018

Postby smallwhite » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 am

Challenge XXXI - Nov 2018

Starts: Thursday, 1st Nov 2018 00h00m01s your time
Ends: Wednesday, 12th Dec 2018 23h59m59s your time

Sprachprofi wrote:The 6 Week Challenge is a challenge to upgrade your language skills in one language from beginner to something more worthwhile, and to see if you can find more time to study languages when competing with other participants in a global highscore. 6 Week Challenges start on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st every year, so there is a rough 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off pattern. Note that you can only do the 6 Week Challenge with a language that you're a beginner at or lower-intermediate at most. This allows for a more just comparison between participants.

More about the Challenge here

The bot is already taking registrations. Join us now!

6 Week Challenge Winners (2011-2017) - List of past winners and runners-up kindly created by Teango.

Sprachprofi wrote:The bot only knows ISO-639-1 languages.

ISO 639-1 codes here

The three tags #ie #multilingual #linguistics which are all grouped together as "Multilingual" on the scoreboard can be used if you don't want to differentiate between several languages.

Also available are: Nahuatl, #Ancient_Greek, #ASL, #Cantonese. I don't know what the tag is for Nahuatl.

Putting the word "yesterday" into a tweet, with or without hashtag, adds the score in that tweet to the previous day rather than the current day.

Sprachprofi wrote:Contact @Junesun or e-mail yutian DOT mei AT gmail DOT com if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

@Junesun is no longer valid and Sprachprofi, creator of the 6WC bot, is now @GermanPolyglot instead.

Link to last Challenge, Aug 2018

Link to original Challenge, Learning a language for 6 weeks

What language are you signing up with? Why are you learning it? Tell us!
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Nov 2018

Postby Mista » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 am

YAY!! I'll get to keep the 1st place for a whole week! :D Then I guess I'll start falling on the lists as soon as the challenge actually starts...

I've registered with Sami once again. I'll cointinue with what I did last time: coursebook, anki (sentences), Goldlist (vocab and grammar), and hopefully some more listening - from TV, and I want to check out if I can find some audiobooks for children at the library.
2 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:15 am

I've just registered for Polish after doing virtually nothing with this language since I was last in Poland in September 2016.

In 2015 I studied Polish off and on, then the first time I went to Poland I completely dove into the language and learned as much as I could. Then Russian took over and I pretty much dropped Polish for a year so it would stop interfering. Last time I was in Poland a surprising amount came back, in that within a couple of days I was back up to being an okay tourist and could even talk about myself (with, I'm sure, a thick Russian accent).

I don't have nearly as much time for active study as I did for the last two 6WCs. However I have a lot of potential slots open for listening practice, so that's what I'll do. I'll download a bunch of audio materials from YouTube and also try to keep up a short Memrise habit.

I'm aiming to break 35 hours of study time. Since Polish is not a language I see myself using very frequently, my goal is just increased listening comprehension and perhaps some greater facility with introductory conversational material. Oh and at least two short written pieces for iTalki.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am

Back again with Casteshano
1 x

shandra
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (B1), Spanish (SIELE: Reading B2, Listening C1), French (A2), Chinese (HSK1), Japanese (JLPT N5) Frozen: Danish, Forgotten: Romanian
Language Log: http://bit.ly/2C2Du5z

Postby shandra » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm still not sure what language select for my challenge, so I think I'll officially join you all from the second week or so :|

Last August I chose Japanese, but life happened and I lost interest and motivation.

Until last week I had an idea, but in the last few days I've ended flirting with Arabic :?

I'm going to track my languages' activities in my Google spreadsheet, and after signing I'll probably add my results once a week.
1 x

petr
White Belt
Languages: ­

Postby petr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 pm

I am in with Japanese. Again. I will also study a little French, German and Polish during this 6WC. :ugeek:
0 x
Double SC English Books: 25 / 200 Movies: 83 / 200 Half SC French Books: 0 / 50 Movies: 2 / 50

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 am

I'm in again with German. I've been plugging away with it all this year, but my effort has been somewhat pitiful lately--hope to step that up with the Challenge.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I may not have the time or mood for proper study but I don't want to miss out on yet another 6WC. I've run out of A0-B1 languages so I'm considering participating with Arabic, as everyone's talking about it lately, and just aim to learn about it.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 pm

smallwhite wrote:I may not have the time or mood for proper study but I don't want to miss out on yet another 6WC. I've run out of A0-B1 languages so I'm considering participating with Arabic, as everyone's talking about it lately, and just aim to learn about it.

Setswana... Setswana... Setswana ....

:twisted:
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:00 pm

rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:I may not have the time or mood for proper study but I don't want to miss out on yet another 6WC. I've run out of A0-B1 languages so I'm considering participating with Arabic, as everyone's talking about it lately, and just aim to learn about it.

Setswana... Setswana... Setswana ....

:twisted:

He’s just trying to get you to learn it so you can teach the rest of us.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”