Anyone doing the Language Jam?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Re: Anyone doing the Language Jam?

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am

Really interesting and great idea!

1) But is there a set goal like learn 100 words or speak with 50 phrases?

2) Hard for me to get at random a language to learn as I need some "connection" (motivation) with it...
Maybe a rule with a bunch of 3 options could have helped.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:Really interesting and great idea!

1) But is there a set goal like learn 100 words or speak with 50 phrases?

2) Hard for me to get at random a language to learn as I need some "connection" (motivation) with it...
Maybe a rule with a bunch of 3 options could have helped.

If I recall you get a language, and have one veto. You can do the Jam just one day, or two or three. Your "connection" can be all of your friends here who are doing it too! ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Charlar_mas
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B2), Russian (beginner), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ilit=sllog

Postby Charlar_mas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Mista wrote:Although the word "indigenous" may have been ill chosen, I think the selection of languages was very well chosen, and I'd love to take part in the Jam. Unfortunately the date is the worst imaginable, as I will be trekking in the Alps and hopefully be busy speaking French on that day.

I think the reason behind the choice of words is that 2019 is UNESCO's "International Year of Indigenous Languages", and LanguageJam wanted to commemorate that somehow.

Totally agree with you about the selection of languages! I can't wait to see what I get.

I hope you have a great trek in the Alps. :)
3 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Well, to me calling a language indiginous implies that it's a minority language that's unrelated to a colonial language that has become the majority language in the recent past.

To me it doesn't.
Minority language, yes
Unrelated to a colonial language? Why would this be of any relevance?
Recent past? Irrelevant. What is relevant here is that one group of people with their own distinct language and culture was living in an area before another group of people with their own distinct language and culture moved in. When doesn't matter. Just that one group was there first.

I agree with you in that not all the languages on the list should be called indigenous, but languages like Ainu, Kurmanji, Celtic languages, Sami and Lezgian are recognized as indigenous languages by unambiguously indigenous people, and that is enough to me.
2 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:But is there a set goal like learn 100 words or speak with 50 phrases?

No. You set your own goals. And you can choose your own language, too. It just won't be "official", but - does it really matter?
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm

I wish I'd heard about this before the prep phase, rather than on the weekend it takes place!! Hopefully now by subscribing to this thread I'll hear about the next one in advance.

I did register anyway, and got Scottish Gaelic, with an alternative of Quileute! Like the werewolves in Twilight! :) Neither option is one I would have chosen to study for myself. (I was hoping for Ojibwe...) But, maybe if I have any free time this weekend I'll learn some bits of Quileute and see how it goes!
1 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Did anyone do a LJ? How did it go?
0 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:13 am

Bluepaint wrote:Did anyone do a LJ? How did it go?

I did it. My language was Yoruba. It was a good experience for me, despite dealing with heat exhaustion that weekend. But I got to take a crack at a language I've been interested in for long time, collected some more resources for it, got a good idea of how much work I would need to put into to get B2-ish into, and had fun.

Tulipan/Sandra, LJ's host, said that this LJ wasn't as popular as previous ones--fewer registrations and such--and a lot of people on the LJ Discord seemed to think it was because the Indigenous theme was too narrow for some previous participants. Oh well. I liked the theme, but I do hope that the next LJ will have more "regular" selections so I have a better chance at getting a language I'm a false beginner in. There are so many languages I've dabbling in in the past that I wouldn't mind being offered an excuse to dabble in again.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

marie39
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Postby marie39 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:04 pm

I participated in the last round of the LangJam. The language I got was Faroese. It was fun and I learned a bit about the Faroese Islands. I also became a fan of the singer Eivør. Part of me wants to continue with Faroese but I feel like it would be easier to pick up Swedish or Norwegian. There's just more resources and it's easier to find movies and books in Swedish/Norwegian. I also took part in the LangJam before this last one and got Afrikaans. I enjoy doing the LangJam because it introduces me to new music and little bits of culture. On the downside, it does encourage my wanderlust.
3 x

rpg
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8368

Postby rpg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm

The next Language Jam is next weekend! I just registered and got Dutch. Looking forward to it!
1 x
Super challenge 2020/21
French reading: 4534 / 5000      Spanish reading: 81 / 5000
French movies: 115 / 150       Spanish movies: 98 / 150

Return to “Language Challenges”