6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2018

Postby Cavesa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 pm

??? It looks like I have recovered a twitter account. I cannot remember ever having this one. But it knows the 6wc bot and follows it. But it has a completely different name. Well, it looks like it's working. Oh, not yet. I am waiting for the bot's answer.

Oh, and I'll be away for one week, what a beginning of the 6wc. Well, let's hope the rest will be ok.

But I have already started a bit!

But not like those people at the top of the leaderboard. over 7hours? Wow!
3 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:58 am

Ah, well, that was a short challenge for me... Looks like the bot has stopped taking my Tweets since last night :roll: Going to contact Judith...

[edit] The bot is replying to me mentioning it to Judith, "please clearly indicate the language you worked on" *hollow laughter* Why can't it just take my updates :lol: :cry:
[edit #2] It's working again, but only when I strip my tweets of all excessive words :lol:
3 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Are you allowed to count time that goes toward an online class? I am starting the Introduction to Dutch course (free version) through Future Learn/ University of Groningen during the 6WC. Dutch is not my target language for the 6WC, but I am going to try to track all language study time for the six weeks.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:41 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Ah, well, that was a short challenge for me... Looks like the bot has stopped taking my Tweets since last night :roll: Going to contact Judith...

[edit] The bot is replying to me mentioning it to Judith, "please clearly indicate the language you worked on" *hollow laughter* Why can't it just take my updates :lol: :cry:
[edit #2] It's working again, but only when I strip my tweets of all excessive words :lol:

Twitter likes a bit of variation, so whenever you have trouble with the bot, try to change the way you express yourself. I tend to use set phrases, but after a week or two I always have to change them
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:Are you allowed to count time that goes toward an online class? I am starting the Introduction to Dutch course (free version) through Future Learn/ University of Groningen during the 6WC. Dutch is not my target language for the 6WC, but I am going to try to track all language study time for the six weeks.

Yes, absolutely. Actually, I think I've logged time for the very same course during some previous 6WC.
1 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm

brilliantyears wrote:Ah, well, that was a short challenge for me... Looks like the bot has stopped taking my Tweets since last night :roll: Going to contact Judith...

I just had the Bot not update four of my tweets (after accepting/responding to two tweets) for the 6WC. How long should I wait before I retweet to ensure no double counts? I tend to use the same, very simplified language so I will change-it-up next round of tweets.
0 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Mista wrote:

Twitter likes a bit of variation, so whenever you have trouble with the bot, try to change the way you express yourself. I tend to use set phrases, but after a week or two I always have to change them

I changed my wording, and then it took my updates again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Is there a guide to the syntax accepted? I've been using the stock phrase "@6WCbot I studied 40 minutes of #Vietnamese today" and just tweeting multiple times when I do multiple languages. What wordings are other people using?
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Axon wrote:Is there a guide to the syntax accepted? I've been using the stock phrase "@6WCbot I studied 40 minutes of #Vietnamese today" and just tweeting multiple times when I do multiple languages. What wordings are other people using?

how to

On top of that, if you use exactly the same text over and over, twitter will consider it duplicates and not send it to the bot. Feel free to add a random word in there, it will be ignored. You can use a second tag to identify hoe you studied #anki #tv #reading ... etc...
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm also partcipating again! Still for Korean. Don't expect to really mke it to B1 for quite a while lol

I have no real goal except to write short diary entries, do occasional skyping, do some grammar review and put them on Hellotalk and read a bunch of things from my progress bar. I don't really plan my study sessions, just study when possible or when I feel like it :)
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Return to “Language Challenges”