6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2018

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Aug 2018

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:23 am

I’m done too, and very pleased with my results. I decided not to try to “compete” with everyone this time, but just to stay consistent. My goals were 30 min per day of Setswana and 5 hours per day in total. My Setswana was a bit up and down, but I did at least a little every day, even when I was irritated with my materials for have mistakes or for saying that the grammar is too hard, so we won’t bother explaining it too you, or for explaining it but in a really complicated manner with only one example to illustrate an entire concept. Argh! My total was more consistent because I could take up the slack with something more pleasant like Spanish or German, so there were only a few times I dipped below five hours. I found five hours to be a pretty good goal. I think I would have gotten too stressed if I’d pushed for more, but five hours worked for the most part.
5 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I’m done too, and very pleased with my results. I decided not to try to “compete” with everyone this time, but just to stay consistent. My goals were 30 min per day of Setswana and 5 hours per day in total. My Setswana was a bit up and down, but I did at least a little every day, even when I was irritated with my materials for have mistakes or for saying that the grammar is too hard, so we won’t bother explaining it too you, or for explaining it but in a really complicated manner with only one example to illustrate an entire concept. Argh! My total was more consistent because I could take up the slack with something more pleasant like Spanish or German, so there were only a few times I dipped below five hours. I found five hours to be a pretty good goal. I think I would have gotten too stressed if I’d pushed for more, but five hours worked for the most part.

Congrats. I must say throughout the challenge I was inspired by all the people who put so many hours into study. It actually made me work harder. :mrgreen:
As for me, I do feel the challenge helped me tremendously because now I feel more confident with Korean and I noticed it doesn't require a great deal of mental effort as before. As a result, I've become more relaxed when I have italki lessons. ^^
5 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 am

I wasn't as active as I would have liked, but a top 10 finish is a good feeling. I averaged about 45 minutes per day. Continuing to make Spanish a daily part of my life. Reading a bunch of manga, short stories and comics, watching subtitled tv and binge watching youtube videos. I have had to cut back on listening, speaking and grammar practice a bit, but it is what it is. That being said, my listening abilities have improved a ton (improvement from a low level is still improvement I suppose lol). I could understand a video like this with 85-90% comprehension :shock: Hooray for the Catalan accent and their clear Spanish!

I've had to cut back on my studies a lot due to work and stuff, but hopefully by the time the next challenge comes around, life will have settled down a bit and I can give more attention to my weaker areas and I also hope this will be my last 6WC for Spanish :lol:
4 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Totally happy with my 4th place. Even more happy that I ended the challenge with a 93-day streak on Memrise and Duolingo--I've never maintained both of them without at least a day break for a whole challenge before.

Already making plans for the non-challenge gap and looking forward to November 1st. :D
5 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1131 / 15000

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:39 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Don't touch that code, it's not for the faint of heart. He just want to hand off the SC bot maintenance to someone. :lol:

Shhhhh

:D I confess I’m still intrigued with the “making my own bot”: what coding language is used for that particular bot? Nothing like learning a language with a specific goal in mind.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Can't believe I somehow made it to 3rd place?? I'm really happy with how the whole 6WC went for me, but by the end of it I was really tired and also a little fed up with the challenge :P I'm taking a small break now, until Russian class starts up again next week.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Xenops wrote:
rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Don't touch that code, it's not for the faint of heart. He just want to hand off the SC bot maintenance to someone. :lol:

Shhhhh

:D I confess I’m still intrigued with the “making my own bot”: what coding language is used for that particular bot? Nothing like learning a language with a specific goal in mind.

That one uses PHP.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 am

I'm not particularly happy with my raw numbers, but I can't deny that I know more Vietnamese than I did six weeks ago. I think I could have handled some vocabulary study on my subway commute, maybe even with a pencil and paper as I can't use flashcards on my phone.

The big takeaway was that I edited some textbook audio files into a listening course that was really quite effective in teaching me vocabulary and sentence structure. I'd like to try to replicate it in other courses.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am

rdearman wrote:
Xenops wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Shhhhh

That one uses PHP.

With a little SQL, js, yml, css and html.

It's actually not a bad starter project and can be walked through quickly. Some of the code is ... less than easy to read.
But it isn't a long project.

There is a technical page on the forum here if you are interested.

If you have questions about how the bot was coded and what is needed to edit it, I can provide what I know there.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm fairly happy with my overall results, coming in 6th place for total study (although I'm really annoyed at myself for not having done just 9 more minutes of study in order to reach an even 100 hours). I was in the top 10 for target language study too, until I suddenly stopped studying altogether in the last two weeks due to burnout and life events. :roll: I'm still happy though, because this is the first 6WC in probably a few years that I have actually made a true, concerted effort for.
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”