6WC: 6 Week Challenge Thread August

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: 6WC: 6 Week Challenge Thread August

Postby smallwhite » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:30 am

When I listen to radio or trimmed course material (100% L2) and do something else at the same time (cook, exercise, garden), I count no more than 50% (because I'm doing 2 things at the same time), then I multiply the 50% further by the amount of attention I'm paying.

So if I'm paying 70% attention, and gardening at the same time, I count ( 70% x 50% ) = 35%.

I mean, it just doesn't make sense to count more than 50%, like 70%. If there was a Gardening Challenge somewhere, and I count 70% towards 6WC and 70% towards Gardening Challenge, that would add up to 140% and is simply wrong.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm

smallwhite wrote:When I listen to radio or trimmed course material (100% L2) and do something else at the same time (cook, exercise, garden), I count no more than 50% (because I'm doing 2 things at the same time), then I multiply the 50% further by the amount of attention I'm paying.

So if I'm paying 70% attention, and gardening at the same time, I count ( 70% x 50% ) = 35%.

I mean, it just doesn't make sense to count more than 50%, like 70%. If there was a Gardening Challenge somewhere, and I count 70% towards 6WC and 70% towards Gardening Challenge, that would add up to 140% and is simply wrong.

Just thought I would give you the link to the Gardening Challenge in case you wanted to participate. :)

http://organicgardenerpodcast.com/organ ... challenge/
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:11 pm

rdearman wrote:Just thought I would give you the link to the Gardening Challenge in case you wanted to participate. :)

http://organicgardenerpodcast.com/organ ... challenge/

LOL :lol: Thank you! I was just saying; I didn't know Gardening Challenges actually existed :P
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies about dividing your time on Twitter. I'd already posted since then so I couldn't undo--and really don't want to post 7 or 8 times there instead of once (not a Twitter person.)

So since I'm already dividing them in my log book, I'm just going to continue to do that, and I'll add the totals to my log here when the challenge is over.

I agree with what everyone is saying about the listening. I've come up with my own that I'm comfortable with. If I'm watching/listening to a show that I've DVR'd and play the segment over and over and take notes and use the dictionary, then it's 100%. If I'm listening to catch the rhythm and whatever words I can and I'm not really "working" then maybe 5% assuming I've translated some words and phrases in my head. Everything in between depends on how hard I'm working and what I'm getting out of it--it does no good to claim hundreds of hours and still be stuck at "hola"
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Is it a must to have twitter if you're going to do the challenge?
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:56 pm

CarlyD wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies about dividing your time on Twitter. I'd already posted since then so I couldn't undo--and really don't want to post 7 or 8 times there instead of once (not a Twitter person.)

You can also post the totals without specifying the details :) simply 2 hours spanish and it doesn't matter what exactly you did :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Isarin
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Czech, Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1230

Postby Isarin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm joining with Spanish this time. It's more of a 4WC now, but I was too busy earlier. :?
0 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:37 am

I don't want to search for this and I don't remember whether this question has been asked, but is it even allowed to participate in the challenge with a protected Twitter profile?
If yes than it'd be 6WC: challenge your honesty :)
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:03 am

of course. you would have to temporary unprotect it though, or ask sprachprofi to have the bot follow you.

but your stats would be visible anyway :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:33 pm

Isn't a new challenge beginning tomorrow? I'd completely forgotten. I'll probably be away a couple of weeks in early December, but it never seems perfectly convenient, so maybe I should just join anyway.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”