The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby zjones » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 am

Thanks everyone, I'm not using Twitter so I'll just stop participating. I just wanted to be sure I didn't need to do anything. Thanks for your help. :)
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:23 am

Ok... so I had the idea to start learning Ainu, and part of the source material is in Japanese (in particular a podcast). Can I count that towards the Super Challenge? (Of course subtracting the minutes of Ainu)
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Yes, that's fine! I'd say the minimal duration still applies :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 am

When will the website be updated for this year's stats? And can I help update it? I have extensive web development/programming experience.
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 am

Also, how do you guys count Pimsleur or other audio courses? The instructions weren't clear unless I misread. The thing is the actual TL speaking in each 30 min Pimsleur lesson is probably equivalent to 10 minutes or less of movie/TV show time. Is that the ratio (1:3) you guys usually use?
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 am

I imagine your reading speed will roughly double over the 20 months:

20180611-sc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

kulaputra wrote:Also, how do you guys count Pimsleur or other audio courses? The instructions weren't clear unless I misread. The thing is the actual TL speaking in each 30 min Pimsleur lesson is probably equivalent to 10 minutes or less of movie/TV show time. Is that the ratio (1:3) you guys usually use?

Sorry but Pimsleur definitely doesn't count. The whole point is to use native (or "semi-native") content in your target language. (So a reminder to everyone: reading/watching in your native language doesn't count either)

As for other audio courses, only monolingual ones count. But you can count the written part (proper texts or long dialogues).

Thanks a lot for offering to help! Unfortunately it's a matter of enabling admin access so I don't think there's anything you can do for this specific issue, but overall see this thread https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =16&t=7735
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

kulaputra
Orange Belt

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Serpent wrote:Sorry but Pimsleur definitely doesn't count. The whole point is to use native (or "semi-native") content in your target language. (So a reminder to everyone: reading/watching in your native language doesn't count either)

As for other audio courses, only monolingual ones count. But you can count the written part (proper texts or long dialogues).

Perfect! I felt weird logging Pimsleur hours anyways so this makes sense.

For L1 movies with subtitles in L2, do they count the same as a movie in L2? I've been multiplying the time from subtitled movies by 90% because it doesn't seem equivalent.
0 x

--Heart Sutra

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 pm

kulaputra wrote:For L1 movies with subtitles in L2, do they count the same as a movie in L2? I've been multiplying the time from subtitled movies by 90% because it doesn't seem equivalent.

Yes, that counts the same as any film. The idea is that a film is a film, regardless of how you're watching it.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can double count (e.g. watch with L2 audio and L3 subtitles). That would be a great learning task for some people, but the idea is x minutes is still x minutes.
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Is there an official words-per-page number? I signed up for LingQ and it shows me the words I've read, but I'm not sure by what number I should divide that to get the pages. I would say 300 words per page seems reasonable, but maybe there is another number you already agreed upon.
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

Return to “Language Challenges”