The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby brilliantyears » Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm

How long after tweeting an update will the bot register it? Just checking if I'm not being too impatient ;)
By the way, does my Twitter account need to be public? It's locked but it worked fine for registering, so I'm guessing 'no'...
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:Has there been any discussion on how to count plays? If I look at the plays on my bookshelf, they have a lot of text on the page but more white space than a novel.

Is there anything I should know about counting ebooks? I was just going to convert to pages by comparing the % to the number of pages in a hardcopy.

I see the 10 minute requirement for Youtube videos, but that raises a general question for me about short segments. I have Miffy DVDS in Danish that are 5 minute segments X 39 segments per DVD box set. If I watch all three DVDs, the total time is a smidge over 180 minutes. Can that be counted as two films?

One solution to how to count things like books of poetry, plays, etc, is to take a few representative pages, and count the number of words on them. Divide that by 300 and you know what part of a "page" it is. E.g. if there are about 100 words on a page then it each page of that book is about a third of page. Conversely, large page books with denser text may be able to count as more. I'll have to double-check this, but I seem to remember that my French Bible has about 600-700 words on a page, so it could be counted as two pages per page.

Regarding videos with episodes or short segments, I tend to watch several episodes in a sitting, and then tweet the time for that. So if you watched 5 episodes of Miffy and it took 24 minutes just tweet #da #watching "Miffy" 24 minutes. If you leave off the timing then it gives you exactly 90 minutes. Or if you prefer, you could tweet the total time once you watched a disc or even the whole set.

As asked in the quote above, ebooks can be counted by comparing to a hardcopy, and using percentages if you want to tweet as you go through the book.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm

brilliantyears wrote:How long after tweeting an update will the bot register it? Just checking if I'm not being too impatient ;)
By the way, does my Twitter account need to be public? It's locked but it worked fine for registering, so I'm guessing 'no'...

It doesn't seem to be responding to anyone :(
If the bot is following you, it will see your tweets. Otherwise it won't. When you've registered and got it to follow you, you can set your account to protected.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 7:03 pm

It is set to check for new tweets every 5 minutes. But that is configurable and sometimes I have to change to ten minutes .
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Serpent wrote:
brilliantyears wrote:How long after tweeting an update will the bot register it? Just checking if I'm not being too impatient ;)

If the bot is following you, it will see your tweets. Otherwise it won't. When you've registered and got it to follow you, you can set your account to protected.

I think I saw one or two people who managed to update today (May 1st), but yep, I'm definitely not getting through. Good to know it's not just me though. I'll wait patiently and try again later :)
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Sorry if this is duplicating info that's already out there, but I posted a table with target pacing for different challenges on my log, and then I thought I should probably post it here too just in case anyone else might find it useful. This is based on 610 days from today through the end of 2019 (inclusive).

ChallengeBook Pages/dayFilm Min:sec/day
Half4.107:23
Full8.2014:45
Double16.4029:30
11 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue May 01, 2018 8:38 pm

When I read that the website is still showing the old results: Will it be possible to still see the results of the 2016/2017 Super Challenge somewhere, once it's updated? Might be an inspiration to find material for people doing the challenge the first time.
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 pm

tiia wrote:When I read that the website is still showing the old results: Will it be possible to still see the results of the 2016/2017 Super Challenge somewhere, once it's updated? Might be an inspiration to find material for people doing the challenge the first time.

Yes, the plan is to have an archive of previous years.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 am

Thanks for putting this thread together, it has answered most of my questions so far! I'm a little unsure of how and where I should update my progress. I just deleted all of my social media accounts last month, so no Twitter for me. Where do I update my SC information?
0 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 am

Serpent wrote:

The bot seems to register and update but it's not following me. I suppose that shouldn't cause any issues in the future?
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”