The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby StringerBell » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:13 am

Thanks, Lingua and Kanewai. I guess whatever I decide to do will have to suffice and I won't stress about it too much.

I looked up the # of pages in my physical copy of the book Blink (286) and according to the publisher's website it is 320. I imagine they are counting the index and dedication pages. It might be that other books are not this far off.

I'll probably end up doing a mishmash of approaches - maybe taking an average of a few sources, or sometimes using the publisher's number but subtracting a standard 20 pages or so to account for ghost pages.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:09 am

Cèid Donn wrote:EDIT: I was able to register and it seems the bot is working. The only problem I've had is that on my last entry for Gaelic, it appears to have added the time (90 minutes) to my Gaelic film total but on the activity list below the total, it only shows the activity name and not the time, like it does for all other activity I've tweeted to the bot. I suspect that's an issue with the site and not the bot?
90 min/50 pages are the default length so it's not shown. (Also, if you don't list the length it's assumed to be this)

As for ebooks, is this kindle-specific? I think my ereader normally shows page (screen) count anyway, based on the current font size. I try to choose a size that's equivalent either to a full page or half-page and then use the numbers listed. You may also be able to find the contents page on google books or some sites (re)selling the book?
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:21 am

Oh Ok. :lol: No, this is not with Kindle at all. I was listening to 90-minute news podcasts for my Gaelic SC and so to avoid what I had thought was a bug (but apparently is feature), I was submitting a time of 89 minutes, so it would show up. But it's fine. I've completed that part of my Gaelic SC this week so it's not issue at this point.

Anyhow, I just notice the graphic you posted at the start of this thread ,with the flow chart of what is considered allowable for this challenge, is gone. :(
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Serpent wrote:As for ebooks, is this kindle-specific? I think my ereader normally shows page (screen) count anyway, based on the current font size. I try to choose a size that's equivalent either to a full page or half-page and then use the numbers listed.

I suppose it is an issue with Kindle because mine doesn't show page numbers, instead it has "location" numbers that don't match up with page numbers even remotely. For example, for something like page 60 it will show "loc 3494".
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Some (probably newer) Kindles have a setting where you can switch to page numbers but not all books offer this feature. The Kindle app version on my very old iPad doesn't have the ability to change the font size or how the page/location information is shown. Also, the Kindle and iPad show different percentages at the same point in some but not all books. It's only 2-3% off. I just realized I never compared location number so I don't know if that would differ or not.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:49 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Serpent wrote:As for ebooks, is this kindle-specific? I think my ereader normally shows page (screen) count anyway, based on the current font size. I try to choose a size that's equivalent either to a full page or half-page and then use the numbers listed.

I suppose it is an issue with Kindle because mine doesn't show page numbers, instead it has "location" numbers that don't match up with page numbers even remotely. For example, for something like page 60 it will show "loc 3494".

It really depends upon the book. If the book wasn't converted to ebook format with page numbers, you're not gonna get them. I have a couple generations of Kindle, and for newer Kindle books I get page numbers. For older ones I bought years ago, not so much!
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 pm

I Just use the page count from the paperback
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 pm

rdearman wrote:I Just use the page count from the paperback

But where do you get the page count from if you're using an ebook and don't have the physical book to refer to? My issue is that page counts I find online are really off from the actual # of pages (I used books I own as a comparison - at best they were off by 20+ pages, at worst they were off by 100 pages).

I wish there were a way to be accurate with ebook page counts, but I guess that's not possible. Ultimately, it's probably not a big deal.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:57 pm

StringerBell wrote:
rdearman wrote:I Just use the page count from the paperback

But where do you get the page count from if you're using an ebook and don't have the physical book to refer to? My issue is that page counts I find online are really off from the actual # of pages (I used books I own as a comparison - at best they were off by 20+ pages, at worst they were off by 100 pages).

I wish there were a way to be accurate with ebook page counts, but I guess that's not possible. Ultimately, it's probably not a big deal.

Normally you can find the page count on Amazon or publishers website. Or just Google for "number of pages in..."
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, I'd search for the title in any decent online book store and write down the number of pages.

However, different editions may have different font sizes, gutter etc. which will affect the number of pages. And the last numbered page in a book may be the last page of an appendix, list of references and who knows what.

(All this talk about page count reminds me of the time tracking issues during one challenge a few years ago - no more of that for me.)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Challenges”