The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:00 pm

rdearman wrote:
kulaputra wrote:
Serpent wrote::o I always write min or mins, never minutes... :?

"min" used to work. Now it doesn't, it seems. I'm not sure why. Also haven't tested "mins."

I can tell you that min isn't one of the tags in the code which it is looking for. Although it does some regular expression matching, I wouldn't depend on using shortened tags.

I looked in the code and this is what I found.

Code: Select all

// find a time in a string with hours and minutes, return with minutes
function findMinutesInString($string)
{
    $minutes = findNumberInString($string, array("minutes", "minute", "mins", "min"));
    $minutes += findNumberInString($string, array("hours", "hour", "hrs", "hr")) * 60;
    return $minutes;
}

But the indNumberInString function it does

Code: Select all

$string = str_replace($keywords, ' xxxxx ', $string);
    $string = preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9\s]/', ' ', $string);    // make alphanumeric
    $string = preg_replace('/\s\s+/', ' ', $string);            // strip whitespace
    $words = explode(' ', $string);

let's walk that...

first line replaces all those key words by ' xxxxx ' (note the space before and after. That means that '15mins' would get converted correctly to 15 xxxxx)
second line replaces all characters that are not alphanumerical or space by a space
third line reduces all spaces to single space
fourth line creates an array of words from the string

It then goes on to search for the keyword and returns the number prior to the keyword or 0.

I've no idea why it is failing on 'min', some of the time.
I am going to guess it has nothing to do with this bit of code.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm finally transferring from my notebook to the bot, and it accepted '27 min' instead of minutes just fine.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

demri
White Belt

Postby demri » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 pm

demri wrote:
rdearman wrote:
demri wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Post a copy of your tweets - could be various things.

@langchallenge #read 2 pages of “AT”
@langchallenge just watched a #movie, “Verbotene liebe”
@langchallenge just #watched a #movie, Verbotene liebe1-4
@langchallenge just watched a #movie

I was only registered for German, so I omitted the language tag. I tried it with the tag just in case, but the bot hasn't recognised it either:

@langchallenge #read 2 pages of “AT” #de

Use

@langchallenge just #watched “Verbotene liebe” in #de

That should work.

Unfortunately, still at zero

I've signed with a new twitter account and the bot is now recognising my tweets
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 pm

How do I communicate to the bot that I'm doing Sami? I have, of course, tried to #register for #sami, but that came through as Sanskrit... I then tried #se (from the ISO list in the 6WC thread), but that hasn't resulted in anyting whatsoever.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Mista wrote:How do I communicate to the bot that I'm doing Sami? I have, of course, tried to #register for #sami, but that came through as Sanskrit... I then tried #se (from the ISO list in the 6WC thread), but that hasn't resulted in anyting whatsoever.

There is no code in the SC bot for sami. You will either have to wait until I can edit the database backend, or use the language family. You can get a list of all codes in the DB by doing show more on the languages at the bottom of the superchallenge website.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 am

rdearman wrote:
Mista wrote:How do I communicate to the bot that I'm doing Sami? I have, of course, tried to #register for #sami, but that came through as Sanskrit... I then tried #se (from the ISO list in the 6WC thread), but that hasn't resulted in anyting whatsoever.

There is no code in the SC bot for sami. You will either have to wait until I can edit the database backend, or use the language family. You can get a list of all codes in the DB by doing show more on the languages at the bottom of the superchallenge website.

Thanks. It would be great if you could do that at some point, as I'm not planning to leave the language anytime soon. I don't have any real ambitions of completing the challenge this time around, though, so I don't mind being patient
1 x

I_likes_languages
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: French (C1), Mandarin (A1)
Atrophying: Italian (B1-2), Japanese (B1), Czech (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8281

Postby I_likes_languages » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:30 am

I just realized that Youtube is not excluded from the SC, only videos and podcasts <10min.

Am I allowed to retroactively log all the Youtube videos and podcasts* I've watched/listened to since May 1st and the books I read during May, June and July (those already mentioned in my log with title and page count)?

*Google has recorded everything I've watched and how much of each video I watched with time stamp in my google account. My podcast app doesn't have the same option, but if I only count everything >10min that was published after May 1st & that I listened to it should be accurate enough
0 x
~ Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhhörnchen ~
French: Half SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 50 Books: 0 / 50
Spanish: Full SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 100 Books: 0 / 100

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Yes, that's fine! You can also count anything that you're reasonably sure you've seen/listened in May or later, even if there's nothing that can prove it.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

Mista wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Thanks. It would be great if you could do that at some point, as I'm not planning to leave the language anytime soon. I don't have any real ambitions of completing the challenge this time around, though, so I don't mind being patient

I have included Sami.

mysql> select * from Language where Code = 'se';
+------+------+
| Code | Name |
+------+------+
| se | Sami |
+------+------+
1 row in set (0.16 sec)

So #se or #sami should work now.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 pm

rdearman wrote:I have included Sami.

Thank you! :D
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”