The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Will the webpage for the results be up soon?

Hopefully, but this is out of my personal control, so can't give you an ETA.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Answer a couple of questions:

Video counts, doesn't mater what the content is. :shock:

You do not have to use the twitter bot if you don't want to!
If you don't have a twitter account or don't want to use the bot you just need to track your progress and then report it in the registration thread at the end of the challenge, or you can report it more regularly in your log.

The bot processes tweets every 5 minutes. You can tweet every time you read a page if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. However, you might want to tweet your progress at least once a week since that is how the bot calculates "streaks".
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Also please note that the stats on the SC website is still for last year! Haven't been able to get the configuration updated to show the new status yet. But this will happen soon. The instructions at the bottom of the page for using the bot are still accurate.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm

What is the link to the SC website? Thanks.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Now I have a silly question and forgive me if I break a forum rule with this. You can delete this if you want. My question is, does adult video count? I have JAV with subtitle in my native language.
:lol: Yes but then you can't count the Koran.
Well, we do have a rule against explicit language, but it's allowed to discuss using adult content in your learning and ask whether it counts for a challenge. Also, a mod doesn't need your permission to remove a comment they deem inappropriate ;)

Anyway, as for your question... :oops: In general erotic/adult stuff is fine if there's enough content to count. I asked the forum's expert on Japan (vonPeterhof). According to him there are definitely some suitable videos with an actual plot, and others where all the content is just "Aaaah that feels good" :lol: Obviously the latter wouldn't count. As always, use your best judgement.

As a rule of thumb, in Tadoku 5 minutes of subtitled video count as one page. If your videos are less 'dense' than that, they probably don't count. Other SC rules also apply, for example the minimal duration is 10 minutes.

Anyone who has any further suggestions is welcome to voice them, here or by PM. No unsolicited screenshots. :evil:
7 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 pm

When you get the page up, whoever runs the Twitter bot might want to update the link in the description because it’s wrong. There is a tweet showing the correct link, but it would probably be better to have it in the description.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:When you get the page up, whoever runs the Twitter bot might want to update the link in the description because it’s wrong. There is a tweet showing the correct link, but it would probably be better to have it in the description.

https://super-challenge.language-learners.org/

((And I have just noticed I have to edit the index page with the correct year it doesn't pick it up from the DB)) *sigh*

EDIT: OK, I fixed it.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Serpent wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:I have a couple of questions:
  1. Should I count course materials such as Assimil toward pages read (possibly with each page of French counting as half a page because of size and English footnotes)
  2. Does a podcast count as viewing or reading?
  3. Is it fine to send the bot updates throughout the day rather than compiling everything together into one tweet for the day? Do you know if it's also the same for the 6WC bot?
Thanks and sorry if any of these questions are silly. I've never done a language challenge or used a Twitter bot before.

Assimil and podcast transcripts count as reading. Generally most Assimil pages should probably count as less than half a page (unless you're using for example a Spanish-based course to learn Catalan... then you can count a lot of Spanish :D)
Podcast audio counts as listening (watching). If you listen to a podcast while reading the transcript, you have to choose which one you count.

Due to the duration it's perfectly fine to post updates even every month or so. (However, you get a badge for posting updates on consecutive weeks :) A new week begins at midnight GMT, on Sunday)
I find it more convenient to tweet every 50 pages or so, but you can certainly post smaller items or update old items and change the length. Anything is fine for personal reference, but it can be pretty hard to browse someone's page if they have many short items. However you can also post here or in your log when you finish a book or for example a series :)
Thanks! Maybe 1 page per Assimil lesson would make sense?

I also have a question about news articles online. It's hard to get a page count from a free scrolling article but it's easy to get a word count. From rdearman's post in another thread I gathered that a page is around 250-300 pages, so is it safe to assume that a 600 word news article would be 2 pages?
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue May 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Yeah that seems reasonable.
You can also estimate that one page is about 1-3 screens when browsing on desktop and 5-8 screens on a smartphone. Not counting images.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Deinonysus wrote:I have a couple of questions:
  1. Should I count course materials such as Assimil toward pages read (possibly with each page of French counting as half a page because of size and English footnotes)
  2. Does a podcast count as viewing or reading?
  3. Is it fine to send the bot updates throughout the day rather than compiling everything together into one tweet for the day? Do you know if it's also the same for the 6WC bot?
Thanks and sorry if any of these questions are silly. I've never done a language challenge or used a Twitter bot before.

My personal ideal was to read actual books, when possible. But - I also included Latin last time where I wasn't even close to being able to read native materials. I ended up counting each Assimil Latin chapter as one to two pages, depending on how often I reviewed the dialogues. I'd tweak those numbers up or down depending on how dense the text is; every Assimil course is different.

The bot works either way - and I've tried tweeting both throughout the day, and once a week. I ended up feeling a bit more stressed when I was trying to tweet throughout the day. Especially with kindle books that only show a percentage rather than pages; I found that I had to constantly go back and count how many pages I had already logged, and then do the math to figure out how many pages I had read that week, then go back and correct the bot because I realized I did the math wrong ... this round I intend to keep it simple! Either 1) just log every 50 pages (like Serpent), or 2) just log when I'm finished with a book.
2 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Return to “Language Challenges”