The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2018/2019

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Philipp wrote:Is there an official words-per-page number? I signed up for LingQ and it shows me the words I've read, but I'm not sure by what number I should divide that to get the pages. I would say 300 words per page seems reasonable, but maybe there is another number you already agreed upon.

Yeah, 300 words per page seems what most people agreed on. (Long discussion in Suggested Change for SC rules). Adjust according to Jeffers' suggestion on page 4 (in this thread). Also have this in mind:
Serpent wrote:For a children's book with large letters, pictures and few words on every page you count 5 pages as one page. When in doubt, use your best judgement.
(First post of this thread)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

picklelanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish(B1-B2), German and French (I suck)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7984

Postby picklelanguage » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 am

Serpent wrote:Thanks a lot for offering to help! Unfortunately it's a matter of enabling admin access so I don't think there's anything you can do for this specific issue, but overall see this thread https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =16&t=7735

So what is the plan for this going forward? When you say it's a matter of enabling admin access, are you saying the admin no longer exists or that we have lost admin access?

Do we still have access to the database itself?
1 x
Spanish - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0/50
German - Half Challenge
: 0 / 50 Books 0.0/50
: 0 / 50 Films 0.2/50

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:56 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Yeah, 300 words per page seems what most people agreed on. (Long discussion in Suggested Change for SC rules). Adjust according to Jeffers' suggestion on page 4 (in this thread). Also have this in mind:

Oh, I've been using 350 words per page so far... :/
0 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 am

picklelanguage wrote:
Serpent wrote:Thanks a lot for offering to help! Unfortunately it's a matter of enabling admin access so I don't think there's anything you can do for this specific issue, but overall see this thread https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =16&t=7735

So what is the plan for this going forward? When you say it's a matter of enabling admin access, are you saying the admin no longer exists or that we have lost admin access?

It means my ssh key needs to be reloaded on the server.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm

rdearman wrote:
picklelanguage wrote:

Shouldn't that take, like, all of 5 seconds, assuming you have access to the server? Not to be rude, just trying to understand what is causing the delay.
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 pm

kulaputra wrote:
rdearman wrote:
picklelanguage wrote:

Shouldn't that take, like, all of 5 seconds, assuming you have access to the server? Not to be rude, just trying to understand what is causing the delay.

It will take the person who has the access about 5 seconds to load my key. But he is away and it isn't going to happen until he gets back. I have access to the DB, but don't want to edit last years entries. Part of the problem with running a system will all volunteers.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:50 pm

I didn't get a response in the registration thread, so I'll reask the following here:

What's the policy on registering for languages which we are somewhat native in but:

1. Are illiterate in AND
2. Can't speak the higher registers nor slang because we didn't grow up in an environment where that language is spoken broadly but rather learned from our parents

Could I register for a heritage language fitting the criteria above (with the goal of learning to read/write and expanding my comprehension)?
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 pm

kulaputra wrote:I didn't get a response in the registration thread, so I'll reask the following here:

What's the policy on registering for languages which we are somewhat native in but:

1. Are illiterate in AND
2. Can't speak the higher registers nor slang because we didn't grow up in an environment where that language is spoken broadly but rather learned from our parents

Could I register for a heritage language fitting the criteria above (with the goal of learning to read/write and expanding my comprehension)?

The answer is perhaps, but you'll need to wait for serpent to return, she is the arbitrator if the rules.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm here, just watching way too much football :lol:
For context, this is the original thread where Cristina (who started the challenge) allowed some L1: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... N=1&TPN=24
And let me repeat that there are tons of reading challenges where everyone is reading in their native language. Generally that's a more appropriate place for tracking what you read in L1.

However, @kulaputra, in your specific example Kannada is not your primary native language, and you say you're functionally illiterate in it. Besides, you told me the language is diglossic. Therefore I strongly believe that it would be unfair not to let you count the reading part. Go ahead!
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Two months or 10% of the Super Challenge have passed already! How are people doing so far? Are you on track to meet your goals?

I wrote a bit more on my log https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7991&p=109433#p109433 but in brief as of yesterday I have read 710 pages and watched/listened to 2213 minutes in French. At that rate I will easily complete my Super Challenge in reading and do more than double the film challenge. On the other hand, I haven't even logged any time or pages in Hindi.

To re-evaluate my goals, I'm seriously thinking I should try to complete a double challenge in both the film and book side for French, but I know it will take a lot of effort to get my half challenge in Hindi.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language Challenges”