Super Challenge registration thread (18/19)

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Re: Registration

Postby NoManches » Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 am

Language: Spanish
Challenge: Double
Current level: B1.5?
Comments, links: This is my second Super Challenge. I was on track to complete last year's challenge.... but I kind of sort of stopped studying Spanish for an entire year (due to training and extensive travel for a new job :oops: ). During last year's challenge I was probably a B2 on a good day, but my skills have slipped since then. I hope the extra reading will help reinforce my listening skills which will in turn reinforce my reading skills ;) . I will definitely try to make reading my priority for this challenge but sometimes I just get so sucked into novelas that I forget about the reading portion. I'd rather strive for a double challenge from the start and fall short, rather than finish a regular challenge and then turn it into a double only to fall really short.

Good luck to everyone!!!!
5 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Super Challenge registration thread

Postby Ani » Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 am

Language: French, Icelandic
Challenge: French Full, Icelandic Half
Current level: French B2/C1ish, Icelandic A0
Comments, links:
Was considering doing a double in French, but I'm not sure I'd hit it on the film's portion. Going to try to get the audio done asap to keep my listening sharp and it'll be a pleasant surprise of I make the double challenge. Icelandic might be foolish :) but I'm having so much fun with it right now. I think if I try for the half challenge, that will be a lot of time committed to the language and I should see a very big improvement. In this case, the watching should be much easier than the reading, which would be very very painful at this point. That's why I have 20 months :)
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue May 01, 2018 8:11 am

Language: Japanese
Challenge: Japanese half
Current level: JLPT N2~N1
Comments, links: I joined for Japanese before but failed miserably on the reading part (and at some point forgot to register things for the movie part :roll: ). I doubt I'll be able to get through the reading part this time around but we'll see. I really need to maintain my Japanese.

Language: Russian
Challenge: Half
Current level: A1.2 (at best)
Comments, links: I want to improve as much as I can as quickly as possible, so along with my classes this will be a good challenge to join (guess I'll have to find kids' books at first though :lol: ).
Last edited by brilliantyears on Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue May 01, 2018 8:14 am

Ketutar wrote:
rdearman wrote:If participating with multiple languages, simply tweet a new registration for each one.

How about language families? How do I register for Romance languages?

It is:

or
#Family-Romance

Families were a bit hit and miss last year, and the extension to use families is still a little Beta, but should work.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

phoenixofthemorning
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1+), German (B1+)

Postby phoenixofthemorning » Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Language: German
Challenge: Double
Current level: B1+

Language
: French
Challenge: Full
Current level: B1+

Comments, links
: Here is my log. Not really sure how the official Super Challenge works, but I was planning on doing the "10k pages of reading / 300 hours of listening" thing privately for German anyway, so I may as well register. Might fall a bit behind on updating the bot, since I don't use Twitter, but hopefully that's not a problem. Regarding my actual challenges, I don't think I'll struggle completing the audio full challenge for French, since I listen to about 30 minutes a day, anyway. My French reading has basically fell into non-existence for the time being, so that might be a struggle. I don't see any problems with the Double German Challenge, which is my focus. I'm basically studying German "full-time" (more like part-time, since I also have other projects on) in 2019, so I don't see any problems at all for German.
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Challenge: full
Current level: maybe B2ish on a good day
Comments, links: I had no problem binge-watching series last time, but never completed the reading. My skills and vocabulary have improved somewhat, so I hope to manage it this time. I just need to get back to extensive reading and stop obsessing over every word.

Current level: My productive skills are horrible, but my receptive skills are probably B1.
Comments, links: I'm still looking for a fun series that is available to me and is at the right level. It seems harder to find in German than Spanish.

Language: North-Germanic family
Current level: My Bokmål is very good, though I still often find unknown words when reading. I have to work a little to read in Nynorsk, Swedish or Danish though. In listening, I don't have too much trouble with Norwegian dialects, except Vestlandsk, but I have to strain a little to understand some of their dialects. Swedish and Danish require some effort too, especially Danish.
Comments, links: I hardly ever watch anything and I really need to in order to improve my listening. Reading Bokmål is easy and I can easily get books, the others are harder to read and harder to find books in where I live, so I have to be a little less choosy regarding what I read.

I might add more challenges as I go.
7 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue May 01, 2018 4:27 pm

After a consultation with Cristina I make the following clarification:
Serpent wrote:Registering with your native language is not allowed (apart from tracking the items symbolically as "1 page" or "1 minute")
Feel free use a social tracking website or your log. You can also join an external challenge.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Current level: A1/A2ish
Comments, links: this one is my priority as soon as I finish at least one of my courses up to B1. I would like to do the double, but I'm starting more reasonably :-D :-D

Challenge: Reading only-double
Current level: active B2/passive C1
Comments, links: Listening is my best skill thanks to the previous SC, it's time to move the rest up and 10000 pages should do

Language: Italian
Challenge: Reading only-double
Current level: active ?/passive B2
Comments, links: Similar to the Spanish

Language:French
Challenge: half
Current level: C2
Comments, links: maintenance, and only non-medicine related stuff counts for the challenge.
5 x

Pippa Butterfly
White Belt
Languages: Arabic(N), English(C1), French(false Beginner)

Postby Pippa Butterfly » Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Language : English
challenge: Full
Level: B2
Comments: No comments really other than I am glad to catch up with the challenge early this time. Happy to join.
3 x
SC : 0 / 0 Eng-Reading:
SC : 0 / 0 Eng-movies:

ENG : 4 / 13 When bad grammar happens to good people:

Tamarind
Languages: English (N), Czech (beginner)

Postby Tamarind » Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 am

Language: Czech
Challenge: Full
Current level: A1/A2 for speaking and listening; shaky B1 for reading
Comments, links: I didn't come anywhere close to completing the challenge last time, but it still improved my reading level quite a lot. This time I'm going to concentrate more on watching so that I can improve my listening comprehension.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”